Making it in the England

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
desire10
Veteran Member

I'm very ambitious, and don't want to settle for the A-league. I want to play in the EPL, or even a Championship team. What's the best way of doing this? There's this site - http://www.footballcv.com/football/default/index.asp - Although it costs hundreds to register and trial, it's gold. I live in Australia, and t's going to cost a lot of money. I don't have parents that have an interest in my football, they'd laugh at me if I told them I want to play in the EPL, but I know I can do it. I don't know how to do it without the finances/support from my family though.
Everything you need, is already inside.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

There are work permit rules in England so unless you have a passport from an EU country you can't play in England. I'm pretty sure Australia is a commonwealth nation of England so if one of your grandparents were born in the UK then you can get a work permit that way.

Barnet have trial applications on their website under the "teams" section and Cambridge United and Luton hold open trials a lot. It's not the EPL but you have to start somewhere.

Get a job and save up some money and move to the UK? If you already know your parents are going to laugh at you when you tell them then it sounds like you'll have to do most of it yourself.

Send a resume and game tape/highlights to clubs in the UK.

ah7

Looks like a great website but when would you make the move to the UK? After you finish year 12? You could settle for the A-league and from there most players after there first season receive plenty of interest from overseas clubs.

desire10
Veteran Member

There are work permit rules in England so unless you have a passport from an EU country you can't play in England. I'm pretty sure Australia is a commonwealth nation of England so if one of your grandparents were born in the UK then you can get a work permit that way.
Both my mother and grandmother were born in the United Kingdom.
Barnet have trial applications on their website under the "teams" section and Cambridge United and Luton hold open trials a lot. It's not the EPL but you have to start somewhere.

Barnet seem to be the most prestigious team there, but I think they're getting relegated to the conference national league next year. But who knows, by the time I'm old enough to play some of those teams might even be in the Championship/EPL. But would you say that the conference/league 2 teams are better quality then the A-league?
Get a job and save up some money and move to the UK? If you already know your parents are going to laugh at you when you tell them then it sounds like you'll have to do most of it yourself.
This is really my only option. I don't know how I'm going to work a job around football though. I won't finish school until I'm 17 and a half.
Send a resume and game tape/highlights to clubs in the UK
This would be a good start. Do you know if any teams even accept/review CV's?

Also, how much money do you think it would take to even get basic hospitality/rent/live/eat (and the flight) over in England? A sh*t load I'm guessing. What are the conversion rates like for Australian Dollars > Pounds. Would it work in my advantage?

nick117
Veteran Member

Australian dollar = .648 british pounds

ah7

I would try for the A league the quality is becoming better and better and from there you can make the move to Europe

desire10
Veteran Member

nick117 wrote:Australian dollar = .648 british pounds
Sorry I should of looked that up my self, but that's pretty sh*t for me then. That means I'm going to have to earn like double.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

It's difficult to compare leagues but why are so fixed on wanting to start at an EPL club? You know how difficult that is going to be? Those teams release their own youth players all the time who are between 16-18 years old. Its tough.

Nothing wrong with starting at a League Two or League One side if you can get a trial or even the Conference. Teams are buying players from lower leagues all the time. No real risk involved and they can buy the player cheap.

All teams in the UK want a CV sent through the mail, no exceptions, emailing or calling will not work, its stated on most teams websites that CV's need to be sent through the mail. Game tape/highlights will be a major plus, a CV only tells a team so much but game tape will tell a team a lot more about how you play. They will want game tape just to let you know.

Examples

Macclesfield Town scroll down to "trial information" http://www.mtfc.co.uk/page/ContactDirec ... 93,00.html

Cambridge United
http://www.cambridge-united.co.uk/page/ ... 23,00.html scroll down to the bottom of the page. You can also fax your CV to them if you have access to a fax machine

Leyton Orient
http://www.leytonorient.com/page/Contac ... 39,00.html Read the "please note" they prefer game tape as well

Look for a part time job? Maybe 15-20 hours a week? It won't be much money and it will take you a lot longer to save up but it's something.

What are you going to be doing while you wait until your 17 and a half? Will you playing at a high level? Try to get to the highest level possible before leaving Australia. Just because you send your CV to a club doesn't mean they will offer you a trial, they get thousands of trial requests each season. However, the more you send out, various divisions, the better chance you have of getting a response. A good CV helps as well, good clubs/level, any youth national team stuff, etc.

desire10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply. Right now, I'm playing quite low level football. I'm going to be saving up to pay rego for a semi-pro club (I have a local one). It's affiliated with Central Coast Mariners (A league pro club), so I may be able to go straight to pro that way.

collin
Veteran Member

does anyone know when any of the MLS clubs are having open tryouts? are they still doing that or what

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

collin wrote:does anyone know when any of the MLS clubs are having open tryouts? are they still doing that or what
Yes they do Kansas City, Portland, and Seattle all had open tryouts but they were 2-3 months ago. The MLS season has already started.

NASL and USL-Pro are other professional soccer leagues in the USA each club holds open tryouts each year usually between January-March. Again those league seasons have already started so teams are not holding anymore tryouts.

desire10
Veteran Member

Would the USA be a good option for me? (I don't care if it's not England really anymore, just a preference)

ah7

Would the USA be a good option for me? (I don't care if it's not England really anymore, just a preference)
I was going to go to the US on a scholarship through NSR...I got accepted fill out all the paper work but pulled out at the end. It really isn't that much better than our opportunities here in Australia
Thanks for the reply. Right now, I'm playing quite low level football. I'm going to be saving up to pay rego for a semi-pro club (I have a local one). It's affiliated with Central Coast Mariners (A league pro club), so I may be able to go straight to pro that way.
Whats the name of the club affiliated with central coast? here in adelaide we dont have any clubs linked with united but they have just started an academy where they can develop players and bring them into the youth team. I'm thinking about trying to get a spot on the academy

desire10
Veteran Member

It's called Central Coast FC, it's the semi-pro club before the Mariners.

ah7

Thats heaps good that you have that, id definitely look into playing for that team