EF, thoughts on this?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Markly23
Sophomore Member

I live in a fairly small sized town, not too small though and there's actually quite a nicely sized soccer community. I know a few groups that organize pick up games every once in awhile which usually have good turnouts, but they aren't organized too often -- maybe once every two weeks or so.

I'm 16 and have few people that I can actually play with. If every one of my friends liked the game and playing as much as I did, we'd scrimmage all day long. I can't think of a better way to spend my summer than playing all day every day, but it's not quite as fun just training on my own or with a friend every once in awhile.

I've always thought that if someone had a designated field that they kept well and had people pay a few bucks to get in and get on a team and play as long as they want, that would be amazing. Unfortunately, that isn't quite a good business model and definitely wouldn't make much.

However, as a 16 year old, if I could get something like this set up, I would care nothing about the money as long as I'm not loosing too much, and if I set it up well I might be able to break even.

My dad owns a little plaza sort of area with like 3 or 4 different businesses that rent from him. In the back, there's this decently sized grassy area that could be big enough for a 5v5 or maybe 7v7 pitch. If I could get this gated off, put up two nets, get some equipment and put like tiny little shack at the entrance, it could work. I could charge people a few bucks to get in for the day and they can put on a bib to be on a team.

We'll make do with the amount of players we have for teams, and if there's more than two teams then it would be a winners stay on sort of thing. Occasionally, we could do tournaments with the winning team rewarded with all of the entrance fees (or like 75% so I can make some :P)

I could also get a mower and some field paint so I could keep the grass nice for playing.

I know it sounds a bit outlandish. I could figure out a way to keep the costs of getting it started as cheap as possible. Once I get it set up, it's not like it would cost anything to run. I'd make hours flexible as I'd be running it. But for me, this would be like heaven. I can just imagine it now: just playing with people all day and when there's nobody there I could just shoot around or play some FIFA in my shack :P

I have some funds to get this started from working and running a website, and maybe my dad would be able to help me out. I'm kinda just dreaming about this, but I'd really like to hear what you guys have to say about this. Please don't just rule it out, think about it for a moment, because I think I could really get this to work.

And I'm fairly sure if I could get my dad to agree to this, the field there is absolutely free. He always tells me that if my team needs a place to practice, we could go there. Unfortunately it's not too nice now so I'd need to do some work to it, but the bottom line is that it is available.

ah7

Sounds like a great idea to me id love that if i had it in my area! What website do you currently run?

Markly23
Sophomore Member

FIFAencyclopedia.com

It's not super-successful, but the ads bring me some nice money.

ah7

thats a nice website youve got there are u using google ads? but how are u generating the traffic to your site in order for people to be clicking on the ads

Markly23
Sophomore Member

Google brings me most of my traffic, I had to work a bit on the SEO. Apart from that, I have a few sites that refer to me and my YouTube videos bring some.

ah7

Well done and all the best with it :)

TheBrilliance

Sounds insane. But this site is quite cultured. Sydney, Australia will work with me but.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good idea. Kinda reminds me of The Sandlot a movie about kids who played baseball at this old field in their neighborhood.

Anyways, you may be able to make even more money by selling drinks and snacks especially when its hot outside. Nothing major just some bottles of water and maybe sports drinks.

If you do get it up and running in addition to the website you could post flyers around town especially in any soccer/sports stores to get the word out. Then you could use the website to post schedules, times, etc.

If there is room I suggest some benches so people can sit down and rest or wait their turn to play or get subbed in.

collin
Veteran Member

as long as you don't let the pitch get destroyed its a good idea, don't them them play when its raining!

Markly23
Sophomore Member

I'd like some more opinions if anyone has anything to say.

Thanks for the input so far!