U.S. Development Academy

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Barcaelona10

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/Developme ... ademy.aspx

Is anyone on one of these acadamys/clubs?

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Im trying out for one for three weeks.. Wish me luck

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Its the newest way to develop players in the USA at least the boys there are no girls DA teams. Anyways its a good program each team had to be selected to join the Development Academy. Some DA teams are youth teams for MLS clubs some are not but even the ones that aren't still have had success. Some DA clubs have links with European teams and some players are selected to go train with that European team in the off season. Some teams even go on European tours, playing friendlies against youth academies.

Derby County Wolves in Michigan are an example of a non MLS clubs. Two of their players, Josh Gatt and Sean Cunningham, have already turned pro in Norway with Molde coached by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. A few kids have been selected to train with Derby County in the summer.

The teams play showcase tournaments in Fall, Winter, and Spring US Soccer keeps game tape of every game (at least they did for my friends team in Fl) so that can be useful if a player needs it for any reason. It is also a great way to be scouted my colleges.

It's pretty much putting the best youth clubs together in a national set up. Some teams are committing to a full season, about 10 months, of only DA/club that means no highschool. This is prevalent in Texas with their clubs. The players on DA teams are not allowed to play high school soccer because they will be with their clubs.

Barcaelona10

Thanks for the info. I also had a few questions because I recently found out there is one within 10 miles or so of me.
-Does it cost money?
-Is there a lot of traveling?
-Is the competition extremly good?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Barcaelona10 wrote:Thanks for the info. I also had a few questions because I recently found out there is one within 10 miles or so of me.
-Does it cost money?
-Is there a lot of traveling?
-Is the competition extremly good?
The competition is good.

What club is it? It will cost money but it varies with each club probably expensive though as club soccer is usually expensive. Some clubs, but not all, have sponsors and stuff to keep cost low but again it depends on the club.
There should be information about cost on the clubs website or you could contact the club and ask.

You can look up the club and see what division they are in and see all the other clubs you will play against but yes there will be travel.

I know most MLS DA teams are free of charge but I don't know about non MLS DA clubs.

Barcaelona10

Well the club I want to play for isn't an MLS team, so hopefully cost is low. Do you have a general idea what the price is? Another problem is travel because it will be difficult for me to go to games and practices 4 times a week that are 20+ miles away.

nick117
Veteran Member

if it's club the cost is probably over 2k a year.

collin
Veteran Member

i played against Sean Cunningham in highschool soccer last year, he had a crazy shot and played good long balls and was very athletic. Besides those 3 factors he wasn't anything amazing. Still a good player, plus i have to take into consideration he was playing center mid and his real position is defense

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

collin wrote:i played against Sean Cunningham in highschool soccer last year, he had a crazy shot and played good long balls and was very athletic. Besides those 3 factors he wasn't anything amazing. Still a good player, plus i have to take into consideration he was playing center mid and his real position is defense
Molde is bringing him along slowly from what I hear, he mostly plays for the reserves but not bad for an 18 year old.

I seriously think a Molde scout lives in Michigan lol. They said they knew about Josh Gatt for years.

soccer11
Admin

collin wrote:i played against Sean Cunningham in highschool soccer last year, he had a crazy shot and played good long balls and was very athletic. Besides those 3 factors he wasn't anything amazing. Still a good player, plus i have to take into consideration he was playing center mid and his real position is defense
collin, are you from Michigan then? Which part?

collin
Veteran Member

Macomb, Michigan. 20 miles north of detroit