Getting into Teams

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
FootballPlayer94
Sophomore Member

Getting into Teams

Post by FootballPlayer94 » 10 Jan 2011, 10:46

I'm looking for a new team. Whats the Best way to go about it when you go training for them?

Met

Post by Met » 10 Jan 2011, 15:05

I'm not sure where you on the line so I'll start at the very beginning.

The way I did it was try to find out something about them before hand e.g. where their ground is, when training is and make sure you can make it for at least next 8ish weeks, how close they are, how they did last season, who is the captain, who is their top scorer is or whoever plays in your position because they are the person you are hoping to upset. You can maybe make friends with one of the players or find out over the internet. Next, go to their ground whether they are training or having a match. Side Note:my advice is try to get to them before season ends so you can see for yourself how good or bad they are and can hopefully join them in preseason training. There's just something about going through hell with the shuttles and sprints that will make it easier to bond as a team because you all hate the coach for making bust a gut. Next, when you go to their match or training, watch them for a bit and make your presence known, either fetching the ball, asking people what the score is, who's doing well, just chit chat, find out who the manager is. When it's quiet i.e. the manager isn't shouting, walk over there and introduce yourself, what position you play, when you want to start, find out when training is even if you know when, just to make sure, how the team is doing in his view, how it can improve, formation, what you been doing this/ last season etc. Just to make him aware you know a bit about football. If he asks how good you are, undersell yourself. Don't worry you'll have training to prove yourself and often the team members will easier accept if they don't feel threatened about you. At training, don't be to fancy, just work hard. Do not start trying to show off, you will make it harder for yourself even if other players start doing it. Save them for the proper match, when you are 5-0 up. Try to do exactly what the coach says even if its hard for you, just because you trying, they'll cut you a bit of slack. Keep going when everyone stops. Do not get injured and do not injure someone else. If it's a challenger where you could get injured, leave it and just stick to the player, chase them down. If coach asks just say you were afraid you might injure the other player but in a match you will go in hard. Get training early so you can have a chat with a few of the lads so you get to know them better. And try to be one of the few who stick around a bit after training. It may feel awkward at first. Be like "oh I told my mum it's going to finish later then it did..." if you want an excuse. Just get in afew chats withe lads. Don't worry about making mistakes, you are human. They'll understand. Also, you'll probably get alot of banter so take it on the chin, only when you feel you them well enough you can give some back or else they'll hate you for saying that one wrong thing but as friends it wouldn't have meant anything. Don't be arrogant, or shy, just talk when you need to. It's like a few levels above being shy. Also don't speak over anyone.

So to summarise you want to do 3 things: get on with your team mates well, get on with the coach well and do really well in training to get yourself a start. Don't worry about starting even if the guy who plays where you do is dog poo. It's only a matter of time before everyone sees you are better.

I have no idea to make that more readable, but I hope you get something useful out of it.
Met

ImpossibleIsNothing6

Post by ImpossibleIsNothing6 » 10 Jan 2011, 22:45

Good advice Met, but please use paragraphs :D

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 11 Jan 2011, 01:16

ImpossibleIsNothing6 wrote:Good advice Met, but please use paragraphs :D
I agree, please try and split it up into paragraphs to make it easier to read.
i was made to ignite