Wrong Type Football

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
dasfootball90

Wrong Type Football

Post by dasfootball90 » 19 Aug 2010, 17:03

Hello,
I don't know if I am posting this in the right forum but I have a situation hear with my team.

I am 14yr and recently been training with my Junior Varsity team. Most of my team mates said that I have impressed and should play for the team but the coach is stubborn. My other problem is the coaches tactics are garbage and the older players don't respect him(Varsity Players). He dosen't want to pick any freshmens on his varasity and jv team. I am wondering if I should find a new team other than school or continue trying to impress the coach? I currently don't play for a team.
Another question is: Are there other oppertunity in America to get known? Or should I stick to the usually High School then College route.
I am also looking to relocate from to a diffrerent country.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2010, 17:16

Moved to competing. I think it's best suited there.

Now, on to your issue... It's your opinion about the coaches tactics and, while you may be right, you have to recognize his position. He is the coach. While you might impress other players, you might not be impressing him, and he is the one who makes the decision about whether or not you play. tbh, I can think of very few 14 year olds who would start for a JV team, regardless of skill unless you are the very best talent around. It's a question of maturity, game mentality and physical development. Perhaps the coach does recognize you as a talent, but is unwilling to slot you into the team right away because you lack one of these things. All you can do is keep trying to improve, and take it upon yourself to show him you truly belong. Michael Jordan didn't make his junior varsity team either.

I think you should continue trying to impress the coach, personally. Get someone objective, or perhaps even the coach, to tell you where your biggest weaknesses lie, and work super hard on bringing them up to the level of your strengths. When he sees your dedication, and the fact that you were loyal and tried to make it work, he should be very impressed.

As for opportunities in America, well, I am Canadian, so I don't have answers for you there. I bet AFC08 is the one to ask. ;) Just send out a beacon, or something.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 19 Aug 2010, 20:19

What you are describing about high school soccer is not uncommon at least not from what I've seen. Most high school coaches are ex-players who also teach something at the high school and coach to supplement their income. Basically as long as you have some knowledge of the game you can be a coach. I don't know of many high school coahces in America that don't coach and teach, at least around here.

As for getting noticed by college coaches (I assume this is what you were asking) it can be a lot of work but is possible if your willing to but in some work yourself. Most scouting is done at soccer tournaments because it allows college coaches to see a lot of players at one time. It costs way too much money for a college coach to travel from high school to high school and see 1-2 players in a game.

The best way is to contact coaches yourself and fill out recruit questionaire forms. You don't need to do this yet because your still young but just an FYI.

I would def. get on another team in addition to your high school team. Most kids in America try and play year around.

What country are you from? You said something about relocating to America (I assume) from another country. Or is it the other way around? You want to relocate from America to another country?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 19 Aug 2010, 20:30

Along with what arsenalfc said if you can find a premier team to join you will most likely find a college for you. Most if not all premier teams in WA (which i realise your not in) do college showcases which are big games and tournements specifically for colleges to check you out and watch you play. You should really consider joining one of these teams.

dasfootball90

Post by dasfootball90 » 19 Aug 2010, 20:57

i live in America. But I am wondering how do you get notice in another country. England or France for an example.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 19 Aug 2010, 22:00

You will have to make it in America first. Concentrate on that. Very few can make an immediate jump overseas without making noise at home. Few scouts travel over here, and even if you take the initiative to contact them and show them samples of your play, they have plenty of talent closer to them that may be even better. You'll have to pull off something special, and the easiest way to do that is to make a name for yourself in America.

All roads lead to Rome.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 20 Aug 2010, 00:44

dasfootball90 wrote:i live in America. But I am wondering how do you get notice in another country. England or France for an example.
Its hard to get noticed by another country unless you are really good. Not to mention England and France have strict foreign requirements so chances of playing there are very slim. You can't play in either country unless you have a passport from a European Union country and you have to be at least 18.

The players who get noticed are the ones playing for the U-17 or U-20 national teams who go to other countries and play them. Or they are on top level club teams who play in tournaments like the Dallas Cup or Disney. Foreign youth teams usually play at these tournaments so scouts are there.

I agree with Rome focus on trying to make it in America. Try and get on a Development Academy team as that is the best youth setup in the country right now.

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 20 Aug 2010, 01:08

Yes I agree with arsenal, academies get you noticed and so do premier teams. I have friends who have played against the italian national team and against england in odp. Foreign competition definitely helps.

Unfortunately, I cant do these things, cuz i have a twin brother and two other siblings, so i dont have the financial flexibility. One of the top teams in my county offer a spot for $1000/ person, so you know what i mean. Basically, work hard with what you have man. Good luck!

dasfootball90

Post by dasfootball90 » 20 Aug 2010, 22:18

On Thursday I didn't show up to the even session and for Friday I just practice by myself. Tommorew is the last day of soccer tryouts.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 21 Aug 2010, 19:53

dasfootball90 wrote:On Thursday I didn't show up to the even session and for Friday I just practice by myself. Tommorew is the last day of soccer tryouts.
What's your point, then? You haven't a shot if you don't go to the tryouts. Get off your ass!

All roads lead to Rome.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Aug 2010, 20:41

dasfootball90 wrote:On Thursday I didn't show up to the even session and for Friday I just practice by myself. Tommorew is the last day of soccer tryouts.
This probably wasn't a smart move. This is going show the coach you aren't committed. Why are you even bothering to tryout if you don't want to go?