Academy vs Premier?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
bom1221

ok guys so i need your opinions with something thats been bothering me for a long time. I plan on leaving my local club this year to move on to a more exposed team so that i can further my career. its not that my old team is bad, its just that i dont think many of the players were getting anywhere and the team itself was not advertising themselves enough for tourneys, scouts, etc. so now im looking to join an academy team such as red bulls or fc westchester thats relatively close to me and that (hopefully) i will excell in. everybody is telling me that fc westchester is the place to be right now but the thing is i already missed the tryouts for the academy team BUT now they are merging with soccer elite to form a new "premier" team. Its not on the same level as academy, but players playing for the premier team can be pulled up to the academy level at anytime throughout the year. so im faced with the problem of either trying out for the premier team and working my way up for an academy position, or trying out for another academy team that may not be as good. saying you could potentially get into either team which would you pick? and what are your thoughts about this?

also im 16 and play pretty much every position

http://www.fcwestchester.com/News/446267.html
http://www.fcwestchester.com/USSoccerAc ... dex_E.html

bom1221

any kind of feedback would be appreciated :)

soccer11
Admin

This FC Westchester looks pretty good. I hadn't heard of them before but I saw that the academy team beat FC Delco, and I know FC Delco's a really good club. I'd definitely say try out for their premier team and even if you don't get pulled up to the academy team this season, you can always try again next season.
And I also get the feeling that, by reading that first link, that the premier team will go to some high profile tournaments where you could get some exposure.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I'd go with the premier team. It makes the most sense right now especially because you missed the development team tryouts. There is also the chance of being called up to the development academy team.

It sounds like a win-win. IMHO the development academy or close to it is the way to go.

soccer11
Admin

you might know this. If you played for the Red Bulls Academy, is that essentially a direct link to the MLS team (meaning you can play for them if you turn pro and you're good enough), or is it just run by NY Red Bulls and to go pro you'd have to go through the draft?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I'm not sure about that specific case, but being drafted is definitely not the only way to go pro in the MLS. There's plenty of undrafted prospects that get signed each year.

bom1221

thanks for the input guys its really helpful, and you can get pulled up to the first team if you play in the red bulls academy. i think they call them 'home grown players'

soccer11
Admin

bom1221 wrote:thanks for the input guys its really helpful, and you can get pulled up to the first team if you play in the red bulls academy. i think they call them 'home grown players'
thanks. That's kind of the impression I got from what they've said about it on tv, though they didn't do a good job describing it.
Have you thought about trying out for the Red Bull academy?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:you might know this. If you played for the Red Bulls Academy, is that essentially a direct link to the MLS team (meaning you can play for them if you turn pro and you're good enough), or is it just run by NY Red Bulls and to go pro you'd have to go through the draft?
I wouldn't pin all your hopes on getting signed by the MLS team just because you play in the academy. MLS teams can only sign 2 academy players a year so the odds aren't that great. They don't have to sign anyone and a player obviously has to be good enough to warrant a deal.

The draft process isn't a sure deal either. Lots of players get drafted to but end up getting cut because of roster space. Your only guranteed a deal if you sign with Generation Adidas and those players are usually top U17 national team players (Jack McInereny, Luis Gil), or top college players. Some players declare for the draft and don't get drafted at all.

bom1221

soccer11 wrote:
bom1221 wrote:thanks for the input guys its really helpful, and you can get pulled up to the first team if you play in the red bulls academy. i think they call them 'home grown players'
thanks. That's kind of the impression I got from what they've said about it on tv, though they didn't do a good job describing it.
Have you thought about trying out for the Red Bull academy?
i have definitely thought about it but the cons outweigh the pros. i know some players/teammates that transferred from red bulls to westchester and most of the things they had to say about red bulls were pretty bad :roll: and just like arsenalfc08 said i cant really put all my hopes on getting noticed by being on the red bulls academy especially if fc westchester is the better club and can get me exposed more. but if its the only other option i wont hesitate to at least tryout.