Inspiration- The Soccer Career of Mustahfa14

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
styale18
Senior Member
Posts: 140
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 23:51

Post by styale18 » 23 Jul 2010, 17:22

heres my story (its short bc ive only been playing for 4 years:
I started playing soccer at 5 yrs old. I quit at 8 yrs old bc i was gettin harrassed by the older players lol... i played baseball and basketball for a while until 2006 (11 yrs old). My family told me they thought i couldve gone far in baseball, and i was told by a pro football player that i should try out for quarterback on the football team but i loved soccer too much and i dnt regret my switch ... I spents hours outside , even in the winter, breaking mad windows and working on my technique ... i improved rapidly and made the 7th grade team and co-captained the 8th grade team to a 6-2 record.. I ended up going to chaminade high school, one of the top soccer high schools and made the freshman team ... I played in most of the games but i think i deserved to start because i worked harder thaan the starters. Im currently training and trying out for junior varsity. Ive been working out and running and i just started doing some plyos... Ive been told i have potential as a soccer player and i plan to keep working hard

amu86
Senior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: 03 Oct 2009, 19:19

Post by amu86 » 23 Jul 2010, 19:01

nice! im sure if u keep working as hard as u have, u can go pro.
Image

scottS4
Veteran Member
Posts: 851
Joined: 30 Jan 2009, 23:49

Post by scottS4 » 24 Jul 2010, 03:28

I had always wanted to be a proffessional player but it wasn't until I was 14 that I really decided to go for it. I was a good player for a good team, but I wasn't lighting up the field, the way most pros had probably done when they were kids. I wasn't getting MVP, or scoring 4 goals a game. I realized that if I wanted to get anywhere, I was going to have to put more effort in than my opponents and team mates from that day forward.
I looked online for training tips and work out routines and stumbled across this website. I saw members who were in the same boat I was and joined the site right away. To put it dramatically, I began a new life. Instead of asking for phones and ipods for christmas, I asked for balance boards and a chin up bar. Instead of going home after practice, I stayed and did shooting, instead of going on msn, I looked up alternate training methods. I started to try to eat healthier and basically became a soccer monk.
At first the results came right away. I had a very strong finish to the 08/09 indoor season despite our team finishing last. I was our teams top goal scorer, I was invited by my coach to an elite training camp in Madrid that summer, and I was going to be co-captain for the following outdoor season.
Sadly, not everything worked out as I broke my ankle in our last preseason game for the 09 outdoor season. I missed the first 10 games or so and it was a major struggle to regain my form from the previous season, as it was the first time I had a major injury. When I finally was back to 100% (near the end of the season,) I hurt my back in a tournament and my trip to Spain was jeapordized. Luckily, my aunt managed to heal me before the trip but the lack of playing that season meant I was rusty while in Madrid. It was still an incredible experience and I took alot from it. The main thing I took was that the players I was training with were beasts. They were all very strong, fast, agile, etc. Very good athletes. I decided to start weight lifting when I got back.
The 09/10 season had highs and lows. Some very talented players came to our team, but some of them had egos. I became a pawn, servicing these super stars. For the first time, I was playing with fear and panic, passing it off quickly so I could avoid getting yelled at. Also, I overtrained. My newfound obsession with weight training meant I was often tired for practices. Also, our disipline wasn't good enough that season. At training or before games, people would be fooling around. I didn't get it. Our team had everythign we needed to win the league but nobody seemed to take it seriously. Finally that season ended, some players left, we got a new coach and I was ready for a new, fresh start.
The 2010 season has us in 3rd place with 5 games to go. Our new coach has instilled into us a professional attitude and we are also much fitter than prior seasons. I have started every game as a forward and am beginning to re-find the form I was in the 08/09 season. I feel I have the confidence of my coach and my team mates, and am really enjoying myself. I am still living the "monk" life which I think will help me incredibly in the long run.

mustahfa14
Senior Member
Posts: 284
Joined: 05 May 2007, 02:53

Post by mustahfa14 » 24 Jul 2010, 03:55

yea you sound a little like me. I know what you mean about having all this talent, yet during training and before games, everyone just seems to not care. They just mess around and take it likely. See I always want to win. I guess they dont care as much?

Sounds like your new coach at the end there was a quality coach. For a coach to intstill professionalism into his team, is a HUGE thing in my eyes. It goes hand in hand with successful results. Thats how my coaches were on the fire. If you didnt take it seriously, or werent professional....goodbye. You were on the B team or out of the club.

Btw scott, how old are you? Are you going into college this year or next year? sucks about the injuries. luckily I never had to team with long term injuries. Good to hear you fought back after a broken ankle. A lot of kids usually end up fading away, or stop after something like that.

scottS4
Veteran Member
Posts: 851
Joined: 30 Jan 2009, 23:49

Post by scottS4 » 24 Jul 2010, 05:50

mustahfa14 wrote:yea you sound a little like me. I know what you mean about having all this talent, yet during training and before games, everyone just seems to not care. They just mess around and take it likely. See I always want to win. I guess they dont care as much?

Sounds like your new coach at the end there was a quality coach. For a coach to intstill professionalism into his team, is a HUGE thing in my eyes. It goes hand in hand with successful results. Thats how my coaches were on the fire. If you didnt take it seriously, or werent professional....goodbye. You were on the B team or out of the club.

Btw scott, how old are you? Are you going into college this year or next year? sucks about the injuries. luckily I never had to team with long term injuries. Good to hear you fought back after a broken ankle. A lot of kids usually end up fading away, or stop after something like that.
I'm 16, so I still have a few years before university. I have no idea what I'm gonna do though or where I'll go.
The ankle injury wasn't actually that serious, it healed in 7 weeks, it was just hard to find my feet after that. I was very slow for a few weeks, had a bad touch, couldn't shoot with my left, etc.

mustahfa14
Senior Member
Posts: 284
Joined: 05 May 2007, 02:53

Post by mustahfa14 » 24 Jul 2010, 05:59

Oh okay wow so you are still fairly young lol. A word of advice, since I have been through this, start contacting college coaches now! fill out their questioneres so on. Dont wait till the summer before senior year. It will bite you in the ass. Contact NAIA, D3, D2,D1, any school. okay im done lol. im sure you prob know some of this already.

But yea 7 weeks isnt as bad. Im just glad i havent experienced something like that yet, and hopefully never! lol

mustahfa14
Senior Member
Posts: 284
Joined: 05 May 2007, 02:53

Post by mustahfa14 » 25 Jul 2010, 02:41

Now I just had a long talk with my parents. About school and so on. They are undecided on whether or not i am going to lewis next year. They were saying im only striving just to get by. That why should they spend more money on me when i cant follow through, when i cant show any desire or motivation to do anything. That i am lazy, blah blah blah. I know its all true. Except when my dad said i have put minimal effort into soccer, how i say im going to be a proffesional, but i dont put in any effort. I pretty called that bulls**t and yelled at them. they didnt care. But they are makking me pay for that online class.

I have to present reasons why they should spend money on me...i.e grades, dedication, studying...soccer. time to show them. They are correct about most things, spot on. But it seemed like they didnt realyl care on what i had to say, and are still controlling my life....i tried telling them this, but they are blind. whatever. im just gonna do my thing and show them.


Although they are making me go work for my uncle the next two days, even though i have plans already. That pisses me off beyond belief. Also them laughing at me when i garuanteed a 3.5 this semester pisses me off. I understand, its like the boy who cried wolf. BUt i will accomplish this on my own, and show them. I wont even say thing. they will see. ill be the one laughing in their face

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 25 Jul 2010, 13:20

mustahfa14 wrote:Now I just had a long talk with my parents. About school and so on. They are undecided on whether or not i am going to lewis next year. They were saying im only striving just to get by. That why should they spend more money on me when i cant follow through, when i cant show any desire or motivation to do anything. That i am lazy, blah blah blah. I know its all true. Except when my dad said i have put minimal effort into soccer, how i say im going to be a proffesional, but i dont put in any effort. I pretty called that bulls**t and yelled at them. they didnt care. But they are makking me pay for that online class.

I have to present reasons why they should spend money on me...i.e grades, dedication, studying...soccer. time to show them. They are correct about most things, spot on. But it seemed like they didnt realyl care on what i had to say, and are still controlling my life....i tried telling them this, but they are blind. whatever. im just gonna do my thing and show them.


Although they are making me go work for my uncle the next two days, even though i have plans already. That pisses me off beyond belief. Also them laughing at me when i garuanteed a 3.5 this semester pisses me off. I understand, its like the boy who cried wolf. BUt i will accomplish this on my own, and show them. I wont even say thing. they will see. ill be the one laughing in their face
Do you qualify for any federal aid money? Did your parents fill out the FASFA? Even if they make too much money you can fill it out and at least see if you can get a little bit of money.

Check used book stores for your text books as it saves a lot of money or check online. The bookstore is a rip off.

Like I said before regroup for the fall. Make out a schedule if you have to, get a tutor or tutors for your classes it should be free.

soccermatt
Junior Member
Posts: 50
Joined: 12 Apr 2009, 23:43

Post by soccermatt » 26 Jul 2010, 05:42

just read through this, i live pretty damn close to bradley, like 30 miles away but still pretty close id say haha. Do you still live up in chicago? Because i live close to this small town called Eureka and we have a college there, Eureka college, its just D3 but the soccer program is really starting to kick it up. I dont know if you heard about the incident with the soccer players from bradley, it was really stupid of them but a bunch of them would always play this trick where they would lock a friend in their room then shoot fireworks into the room. well one time the place caught fire and someone ended up dieing, sounds like a random tangent but all the players involved were obviously kicked off of the team. One of the players was the son of the coach for Eureka college so hes playing there now. They also this last season had a star forward, leading scorer in all of D3 school i think even, who went to a professional scouting camp in florida this like last january i think, not sure about the details, im still in highschool so i get all my info from my brother who is playing there. anyways its a real cheap school and even tho D3 schools cant offer scholarships the coach has some pull and can get you jank scholarships like he wanted my brother to play so he got him like an art scholarship along with others and my brother took like 1 drawing class in highschool haha but maybe you could check it out? might be a little late for this season but i figured considering the coincidence id throw it out there. ive gone to their new recruit camp before, geared to incoming freshman and i went last year as an incoming jr in highschool but couldn't make it this year. the coaches are somewhat laid back there but have pleanty of experience coaching various clubs around the central illinois region and some in chicago too. http://www.eureka.edu/home.htm check it out if you want, i plan to go there next year and possibly play depending on how my senior year of highschool soccer goes

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 26 Jul 2010, 12:04

soccermatt wrote:just read through this, i live pretty damn close to bradley, like 30 miles away but still pretty close id say haha. Do you still live up in chicago? Because i live close to this small town called Eureka and we have a college there, Eureka college, its just D3 but the soccer program is really starting to kick it up. I dont know if you heard about the incident with the soccer players from bradley, it was really stupid of them but a bunch of them would always play this trick where they would lock a friend in their room then shoot fireworks into the room. well one time the place caught fire and someone ended up dieing, sounds like a random tangent but all the players involved were obviously kicked off of the team. One of the players was the son of the coach for Eureka college so hes playing there now. They also this last season had a star forward, leading scorer in all of D3 school i think even, who went to a professional scouting camp in florida this like last january i think, not sure about the details, im still in highschool so i get all my info from my brother who is playing there. anyways its a real cheap school and even tho D3 schools cant offer scholarships the coach has some pull and can get you jank scholarships like he wanted my brother to play so he got him like an art scholarship along with others and my brother took like 1 drawing class in highschool haha but maybe you could check it out? might be a little late for this season but i figured considering the coincidence id throw it out there. ive gone to their new recruit camp before, geared to incoming freshman and i went last year as an incoming jr in highschool but couldn't make it this year. the coaches are somewhat laid back there but have pleanty of experience coaching various clubs around the central illinois region and some in chicago too. http://www.eureka.edu/home.htm check it out if you want, i plan to go there next year and possibly play depending on how my senior year of highschool soccer goes
d3 schools usually end up giving players academic scholarships. The "athletic scholarships" are masked as academic.

The scouting camp in Florida is probably the info sports combine. Unlike other soccer combines where you have to be invited anyone can go to the info sports one. http://www.infosportinc.com/mainpage.html

dasfootball90
Junior Member
Posts: 87
Joined: 06 Jul 2010, 14:21

Post by dasfootball90 » 26 Jul 2010, 16:06

Hello my story start like this..
My dad sign me up for a youth league at the age of four. I stop playing though after two years when I moved to Pennyslvania. From their I played basketball for one season. I didn't like basketball at all and missed soccer a lot. So I started to play soccer little by little during the 2006 WC. From their I develop a deep passion of football and have been playing it since.

mustahfa14
Senior Member
Posts: 284
Joined: 05 May 2007, 02:53

Post by mustahfa14 » 26 Jul 2010, 22:17

Yea fasfa is filled out already. still expensive, lewis is a private school. bradley is too, but i got 9k off a year for academic scholarships.

yea my friend is going to eureka college to play there. Hes going to be a freshman. I know about the bradley incident, i met the kid.....I knew some of the guys on the team then. I played with all the guys there, and tbh they only have a few legit players. the rest are big and athletic and are god awful on the ball. I could have started on that team. But their coach is a jagoff. Most of the guys were pretty cool though. also D3 schools give out "talent scholarships" Haha thats what the coaches told me at dominican university. (along with academic).

mustahfa14
Senior Member
Posts: 284
Joined: 05 May 2007, 02:53

Post by mustahfa14 » 05 Aug 2010, 03:16

So anyways just a small update. First off Thanks for nominating me for the july award thing lol. Just saw it. and i have votes! 8)

But anyways...

I am going to Lewis for sure now. My relationship with my parents was a little strained after the past year and my slip up with my grades. But i have been waking up at 6:30 everyday, studying 2 hours a day and writing a paper on what i studied and how it relates to my life. This is my dad's requirements. Hes always been my father and my best friend, but now he is setting me up for success by doing this. I also changed my diet. Let me know if you want to see it. Ive been running, working out, and playing soccer everyday getting ready for preseason. I am breaking old habits and working on making new ones (like waking up 6:30, studying, diet, making a schedule for everyday). It takes at least 21 days to create and instill new habits. I have also been getting rid of old habits like procrastination, watching too much tv, bad sleeping pattern.

So This is what I have been up to. What about everyone else? I realized and hope you realized that theres a lot of work to do to be successful as a soccer player then just your diet and technical/physical training. Time management is key. you have to set yourself up for succeess by creating a good lifestyle and setting yourself up for success. My eyes are now fully opened to the commitment in my life all around. Its hard to get up at 6 30 every morning and completely changing my diet. Its hard scheduling days and following them. But it already has shown improvement in my life, and i feel in complete control of it.

So I hope this is some food for thought, and some of you guys take this into consideration to do. Feed your brain everyday. Learn something. I have learned so much about nutrition, habits, time management, procrastination, and so on, just by reading a little bit everyday. I feel more knowledgable and more in control. I hated to read, i hated to study. I was the worst procrastinator. That was in the way of my success. Now I am setting up habits and changes to fix that and open up that pathway. Time to grow up and focus on my life instead of just sitting and waiting for luck.

But anyway, i challenge you guys to get rid of your bad habits, and get in control of everything in your life and set yourself up for success. Hope you guys have been training hard and have been doing well.

:wink: Remember this is open for anyones opinion, story, ideas, anything

Post Reply