Really really late bloomers (trials?)

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
konsept
New User

Really really late bloomers (trials?)

Post by konsept » 05 Jul 2010, 08:02

A quick history check: I'm 25 soon to be going 26 which seems like the last chance anyone can do anything.

I've been playing soccer since literally a baby. My awareness and vision are my greatest strengths - always has been, and even more so to this day.

So the point of this post? My 'ability' for the ball didn't really come to fruition until this past year. I know it sounds really weird but I used to be a defender all my life but I've always wanted to make a "meaningful" play... hence my desire to play central attacking mid. I've always felt this was my true position but I just didn't have the fitness, the right touch or reaction to play it well.

Fast forward to today, I'm craving to play the game as much as I possibly can especially after realizing that I'm:

1 - Fairly fit to play the role I've always wanted to, and
2 - I'm starting to "develop" the ability that so many are incredibly fortunate to gain at a very youthful age.

So what I'm wondering is if there are academies or trials for people like me? The late bloomers who just seem to exponentially get better every time I take a touch to the ball.

I've been roaming and harassing Google in hopes of finding something that fits my bill, but alas, nothing concrete so far - however I am determined to find SOME kind of answer (even if its rejection... I just need to know in the back of my mind I gave it a chance to feed this calling)

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 05 Jul 2010, 19:45

You must be honest with yourself and ask your self the question: Am I as good as the pro's the same age as me? Watch some low league games and follow the players playing in your position, if you think honestly you are just as good then you could ring up some conference teams and you may be able to arrange a trial.

You must quit everything bad for you and train so so hard if you are serious about it. It can be done but the chances are so slim but if you think you have the commitment and desire to be one of the, literally, few people at all that has made it at such an age then go for it.

First things first, create a training routine, play as much as possible, adress you weaknesses, make them strengths, create a nutrutional program, ring everywhere and join as many teams as possible and set goals. This link will be very useful :
viewtopic.php?highlight=training+speed&t=7904
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... php?t=7782

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 05 Jul 2010, 19:49

Eh, dude, regardless of what is said he do what you want (or feel you need to do). It is your life and even if everyone here says you couldn't do it, who cares if you want to? Are you going to regret all the training if you fail to ever make it pro? Then you probably shouldn't do it. You'll need to train A LOT, very hard, and also make sacrifices. If you're going to regret the training if you fail, please don't do it.

On that note, chances are probably slim, but who am I to judge you. Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about trials for you. One of our members Arsenal(something) generally is quite good at pulling up information on this. I'm sure she'll help you out once she sees this!
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 05 Jul 2010, 20:03

First off what country are you from as that determines a lot in terms of options.

If your from the United States I'd look at PDL, USL 2, and NPSL teams. Most PDL and NPSL teams are amatuer so you won't get paid but at this point I doubt your pinning all your hopes on a big money soccer deal.

If your from England you'll probably want to look at lower league teams in Unibond, Ryman league, etc. Its not full time soccer but its better than nothing and you will get a wage, it won't be much but again better than nothing.

In terms of trials your best bet is to just send out your football CV (resume) with all previous club experience, awards, etc to clubs through the mail. Do not call clubs and ask for a trial as they will just tell you to email them. Don't do this either unless the club has a specific email address for trials. Usually clubs have a general email and your message may or may not be forwarded to the first team manager. Send it through the mail with "attention first team manager" on the envelope.

konsept
New User

Post by konsept » 06 Jul 2010, 07:35

I live in Canada (toronto specifically).

I was born in Portugal, which is a member of the EU... for now LOL

As for making it pro... well, I know the odds are very well against me... but each time I take a touch, it's like a snowball effect in how amazing my ability keeps adapting and transforming. I often find myself puzzled and think to myself... "I can't believe I've just done that."

If there is a chance, I would give everything in me to try - at the very least for the sake of trying and making myself a much more healthier and fitter person.

Ideally, I'd like to partake in an accelerated academy of sorts - especially to learn the theory behind my position.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 06 Jul 2010, 10:33

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but most academies finish for U18's. I think some may go all the way to U21's. The chances are slim but you do have a chance. Just work your ass off, research as much as possible and apply for some semi-pro team and move from there.
Can I ask what position you play?

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 06 Jul 2010, 11:20

I believe the academies can go to higher age groups. I was talking to a player in Belgium a while back, and he was saying how he could talk to a guy about possibly getting me into their academy. (I'm 20) What I say is based purely on that, but at the very least there are a few for older people.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

konsept
New User

Post by konsept » 06 Jul 2010, 11:53

p793 wrote:Someone correct me if i'm wrong but most academies finish for U18's. I think some may go all the way to U21's. The chances are slim but you do have a chance. Just work your ass off, research as much as possible and apply for some semi-pro team and move from there.
Can I ask what position you play?
I was raised playing central defence and right-back... but my favourite position where I have the most freedom is central attacking mid and I just love it there. To sum it up, I'd be a cross-breed between Xavi (always aware of my surroundings), Sneijder (fast break + long balls) and the finesse of Zidane. Always conciously thinking about the most ideal touch, play, pass, step, body position, field and player awareness. I can't explain why, but I just love being the go-to guy to make things happen.

I *could* play a winger role, but I'm not confident enough in my top-speed to play it - as its a very competitive and pacey position.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 06 Jul 2010, 13:04

Having an EU passport opens up a lot of doors in terms of countries you can play in. Still I think your best bet is Engalnd if your willing to move abroad. The set up there in terms of levels of play are really good. Given your age I'd look at non-league clubs.

What level have you been playing at in Canada?

r9ronaldo
New User

Post by r9ronaldo » 06 Jul 2010, 17:25

hey there konsept!i am also in ur position im 24 and have never been a pro..but want it so bad!did u ever see the website football cv .com?its trials for all ages up to 28 i think?im goin to a week long trial camp at the end of july where plenty of scouts throughout all the english leagues will be there..trials are held quiet reguraly im not from england myself so il be flying in to the uk...u should look it up my friend.

konsept
New User

Post by konsept » 06 Jul 2010, 21:22

r9ronaldo wrote:hey there konsept!i am also in ur position im 24 and have never been a pro..but want it so bad!did u ever see the website football cv .com?its trials for all ages up to 28 i think?im goin to a week long trial camp at the end of july where plenty of scouts throughout all the english leagues will be there..trials are held quiet reguraly im not from england myself so il be flying in to the uk...u should look it up my friend.
I saw an article on Goal.com that Manchester City isn't involved in any youth trials/scouting zones which kinda makes me skeptical of Footballcv.com and others when you do a google search for this kind of topic.

Here's the article:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... rials-scam

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 06 Jul 2010, 22:13

konsept wrote:
r9ronaldo wrote:hey there konsept!i am also in ur position im 24 and have never been a pro..but want it so bad!did u ever see the website football cv .com?its trials for all ages up to 28 i think?im goin to a week long trial camp at the end of july where plenty of scouts throughout all the english leagues will be there..trials are held quiet reguraly im not from england myself so il be flying in to the uk...u should look it up my friend.
I saw an article on Goal.com that Manchester City isn't involved in any youth trials/scouting zones which kinda makes me skeptical of Footballcv.com and others when you do a google search for this kind of topic.

Here's the article:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2 ... rials-scam
Footballcv is legit and has had a lot of success stories.

People from top clubs including Manchester City have said it is a good idea.

Its not a scam like what was mentioned in the article.

http://www.footballcv.com/football/media/viewpoint.asp