College soccer in the US..

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Juice

College soccer in the US..

Post by Juice »

Im currently in high school in Scandinavia, and once i'm finished (in about a year) Im thinking of moving the the US to continue studying at a college... Now looking at a football perspective. I believe that I i'm talented I have the technique and the mentality to go far, but I have no idea of how the college soccer system works in the US. Does big teams have open trails? The gap between high level of college soccer and the Mls, is it like huuugee? If your really good at college level, will professional american clubs notice you?

Thanx in adv...

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.
arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Re: College soccer in the US..

Post by arsenalfc08 »

Juice wrote:Im currently in high school in Scandinavia, and once i'm finished (in about a year) Im thinking of moving the the US to continue studying at a college... Now looking at a football perspective. I believe that I i'm talented I have the technique and the mentality to go far, but I have no idea of how the college soccer system works in the US. Does big teams have open trails? The gap between high level of college soccer and the Mls, is it like huuugee? If your really good at college level, will professional american clubs notice you?

Thanx in adv...
Most schools will not have open trials but most kids are selected based on how well they do for high school or a club team. Every school website has a recruit form where you can fill in academic and soccer information and a coach will contact you.

If your good in college American clubs will notice you. MLS has a draft every year and a lot of college players are picked. However, its kinda tricky because not every player that is drafted will make the final roster. The ones who don't make it usually end up at a second division side in America or find a club in Sweden, Denmark, etc.

In terms of the academic aspect you will have to maintain certain grades to be able to play. Also being an international student you have to take certain tests and be able to prove you have the money to support yourself while your in college. You may be eligible for a scholarship but you'd have to get in contact with schools quickly because schools are only allowed a certain number of scholarships.
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun »

Yeah, start the process as early as possible. It really depends on what size school you're looking at as well. Larger Division 1 schools will be tougher to break in unless your already on their radar. Our high school coach worked very hard on marketing our players to colleges, whether it be closer or out-of-state universities. If they are interested in what you have, you might be invited for a "work-out"(they won't call them try-outs very often because it has an "open" meaning) and they'll get to see how you communicate and your skill level. I know some smaller schools that are smaller that really try to recruit internationally(Campbell University off the top of my head), and they offer full-ride scholarships there. I dated a girl that was on the team there, and pretty much everyone was either extremely local or from overseas. Even if you have to settle for a smaller school, you can always transfer if you are noticed by other larger schools during your time there. It's not uncommon in baseball, football, basketball, etc.

I just want to stress this...make sure you think about after college as well, especially if you happen to land on a team. I have a couple of old teammates that coasted through on Communication degrees because soccer took all of their time and they can't get jobs. Even if you made it to the MLS, it still really doesn't pay crazy amounts and I'm not sure when it ever will.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Thanx for the reply guys..How about the school and cities? Which cities is bigger "soccer cities" if you get what i'm saying..Where the most schools are and so on, also do y'all recommend any schools? I know it depends on what you read and some other things but do you have any tips so I know were to look ...
Because if I want to do this I have to start talking with people here soon...

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

Juice wrote:Thanx for the reply guys..How about the school and cities? Which cities is bigger "soccer cities" if you get what i'm saying..Where the most schools are and so on, also do y'all recommend any schools? I know it depends on what you read and some other things but do you have any tips so I know were to look ...
Because if I want to do this I have to start talking with people here soon...
Well the top schools that produce a lot of future pros are Wake Forest, UCLA, and Akron. However, the competition for places at those schools will be really tough and you'd be really lucky to get significant playing time before your junior year.

I'd look into some division 2 schools as they can give out scholarships and the compeitition for playing time will be less.

Also like Tommy said really do research on a good major. IF you sign with MLS and you don't sign with Generation Adidas (reserved for the really really good college/youth players) you'll make $40,000 a year which isn't good at all. You'd make more in Sweden and other Scandinavian countries.

Here are some Division II schools that were ranked well by the NCAA

Cal State Dominguez http://www.gotoros.com/index.aspx?tab=soccer&path=msoc

Fort Lewis (just won a national championship) http://www.goskyhawks.com/index.aspx?path=msoc They also just signed a guy from Germany.

University of Charleston http://www.ucgoldeneagles.com/index.asp ... &path=msoc

Lindsey Wilson is an NAIA school but they have produced a nice amount of pros
http://www.lindseyathletics.com/sport/14/2.php
Juice

Post by Juice »

omg, thank you so much for the info! :) .. Yeah I get what your saying, Im a pretty good student and have good grade, Iv managed to keep my grades above standard and still make time for football so I guess will can keep doing it. And also, to be honest School comes first even though I feel alot of pain wile im saying it.

Thanx anyway! :D

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 »

congratulations on your grades, and balancing time, thats always I had problems with!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun »

Yeah, just like Arsenal said...I'd probably start looking around Div 2 to start with. I'm from the RTP area in North Carolina and the competition for UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Virginia would blow your mind. There are a ton of Div2 schools everywhere but I'd start by taking a look in the North East(New Jersey, Maryland, Mass, Penn & New York)...it all depends what you're looking for. I would look for a school that has some experience with international recruits...so if you knew of anyone within the past 5 years from your area that made the move to the US, talk to them. If a team had a good experience from their international recruits, they'll be less gun-shy on considering you for the team. I'd also make a football resume of sorts....organize your playing history or any rewards, stats that you can dig up that you earned while playing high-level organized soccer. This will show that your serious about the opportunity and you'll have some concrete to hand over for immediate consideration. I wish you the best of luck man.
2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 »

If D1 is really your goal you could try for D1 schools that aren't ranked aswell. In Oregon theres Portland state (ranked 20 something I think), and Oregon State whos ranked 60 something. Schools with lower rank would be easier in D1 would be easier to get into and still give you top competition and stll produce pro's.

If your goals just to play soccer here I'd look into Private DII schools. They'd be more likely to have funding for you and easier to get onto their teams if you have the grades to get in.
Pikey
New User

Post by Pikey »

Personally, I know you said studying was just as important to you, but lets be honest, you want to do this for footballing reasons dont you? :D Another to get some experience would be to enter tournaments wherever you can afford to go. For example, I played for a local team on Saturdays outside of school, aswell as my school team. One year I went on Holiday with my family to Switzerland. I saw posters advertising a football tournament, so with a mix of my team outside of school and players from my school we entered the following year, and thats where it started for me! But as I stress, I only entered for competative and enjoyment reasons the rest was a bonus. If you can't afford/find any tournaments like that, then the other advice will be your best option. These are not trial tournaments I'm talking about, but scouts will be at the "better" ones, and who knows what might happen.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Panchester, hahah Its not easy, believe me, I know how you feel :P ...

Thanx Tommy, helped alot.. Ill look around for div2 schools or maybe low ranked div1 schools as 2brown347 suggested :)

Pikey, hahahaha ofc that one of the reasons, but also I decided to study at the us for a long time ago...You have so much more options as a educated person in Usa compared to where im from. About the tournaments, I play in different tournaments with my team from time to time :D

Tanx guys got a lot of valuable info :D

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 »

Start asap because scholarships will fill up quick. I think you'd have a good shot at getting a scholarship at least a partial one since your an international student. Of course being good also plays a big factor as well. International students tutition is higher than anyone elses so that is another reason to start as quickly as possible. Not to mention you will have to get your visa situation sorted out which can take a while.
Juice

Post by Juice »

Will do ! :D

Juice

Post by Juice »

Okey, So I have some more questions..

My first question is;
If I play for a lower league school, and do well. Could School ranked higher notice me and try to transfer me in anyway? And what is the odds of that happening?

Now I know that some of you recommend me to apply for a DII.
Let put it like this, I want to become a professional player. Period.

So my second question is;
If my goal is to get to the MLS, how do you guys think would be the (realistically) "safest" way to reach my goal. Would it be by applying for a D1 school and in someway try to get playing time. Or a hight ranked D2 school or even a Low ranked D2 school.

Also I have been thinking about were in the US i should study, and Cali seems to be perfect to me. So lastly, any schools in that area that yall recommend?

(Why california? Okay I will be honest, I have lived in Scandinavia for my whole life. That means 18 years+ of BAD WEATHER. And frankly I am fed up with that! So I have decided that im going to study in a place where the weather is good through the whole year! 8) )

Tanx in adv guys :)

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 »

Well California has arguably the best players in the US, and many American prospects want to go to Californian schools. So I'm guessing the D.1 schools there are probably packed with the top players the US has to offer. Whether you're better than them or worse than them, I have no idea. Being from Europe, maybe you're better than them, but its hard to say. There are a lot of schools there though, so I'm sure you could find something that suited you.