Best of EF

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
soccerjj

Best of EF

Post by soccerjj » 04 Jun 2010, 11:39

Everybody on EF likes a challenge so here is one which will find out, as well as you can only using drills, how good everybody on EF is.
I think this will be a good idea as it will allow everyone to track their progress, see how good everybody else is, have a bit of competitive fun and be crowned as one of the best players on EF.
Before I show the drills we will be using to compare ourselves I would like to ask everyone please not to cheat on purpose (or by accident) as it will completely take away from the main point of the competition. (e.g. don’t guess your score and make sure all your measurements are precise, with measuring tape.)

The tests

General

Bodyweight: Measure your bodyweight in lbs or kg. Having a higher bodyweight is normally better as it is harder for you to be knocked of the ball although it obviously depends if the weight is muscle or fat. The lightest professional footballer still weighs 60 kg even though he is only 5 foot 2 (Diego Buonanotte)

Speed

30 meter sprint: Measure 30 m with a tape measure and get someone to time you. This is important for football as this is the max distance many will sprint in a football match at one and is important for getting to an attacker to be able to make a tackle, dribbling pat a defender and making sure you stay past him and he can’t catch you and many, many other things. ( just look at Walcott he might not even be in the premiership if he wasn’t so fast which shows how important being fast is.) The average pro footballer can do 30 meters in around 4 seconds.

100 meter sprint:
Go to a track get someone to time you run 100m. Although it is not quite as footy specific as the 30 meter I’m pretty sure if you have a good 100 meter time you will have good acceleration over shorter distances. Supposedly Walcott can do it in 10.3 seconds and when he was 14 he could do it in 11.52 seconds. On the other hand Arsene Wenger can do it in 17 seconds.

Arrowhead Agility drill : Go to http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/conten ... _en_GB.pdf and scroll to test 3 where you will see this drill. Measure accurately! This is good as it shows how good you are at changing direction which is needed for weaving between defenders and reacting to different situations.

Explosive Power

Standing Long Jump: From a standing position lean forward and jump as far as possible, measure from toes at start to heel and end of jump. This shows how explosive you are and in fact there is a massive correlation between standing long jump distance and speed. If anyone wants me to make an accurate (ish) prediction of their 100 meter time from their long jump I will. Another advantage is unlike when someone is timing you it is a lot more accurate as timing error is not a problem.

Standing Vertical Jump:
Stand up against a wall, reach up as high as you possibly can, without coming off your heels and mark it with something (e.g. chalk). Then jump up as high as you possibly can and touch with your finger as high as you possibly can and mark that. ( e.g. by putting chalk on your fingers) then measure the difference. The higher you get in this test the higher you can jump for headers and it once again has a reasonable correlation with how fast you are. Pro footballers average 24 inches. Pro Basketball players average 27 inches and pro American footballers average 29 inches.

Endurance

Push- ups in a minute: count how many push- ups you can do in a minute. No baby pushups allowed make sure your head almost touches the ground and you almost fully lock out at the top. This shows stamina and upper body endurance.

Bleep Test: Go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/s ... 100312.stm
You need an mp3 or audio of it so it will be hard for many people to do, but it shows the endurance needed to keep running and running in a football match.

Yo-Yo test: Go to http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/conten ... _en_GB.pdf and scroll down to test 4. Go on Nike bootcamp to download the MP3 needed or try to find it. One again shows the stamina needed to repeat bursts of speed.

Strength

Squat 1rm: Make sure the squat you perform to at least parallel or lower. NO! quarter squats allowed. This shows how strong you are and the stronger you are the harder it will be to knock you off the ball or to push you and it will be easy for you to outmuscle others to win headers.

Squat 1rm to bodyweight: Get the amount you squat and divide it by your bodyweight. It is pretty simple as the higher your squat to bodyweight ratio is the faster you will run and the higher you will jump. Just think when you run or jump you put force through the ground and the more force you can produce at a lower bodyweight the further you will go. Ben Johnson the Olympic sprinter squatted about 620 lbs at 200 lbs giving him a 3.1*BW squat which is why he was so fast. (Although he did use steroids)

Bench Press 1rm: make sure the bar almost touches your chest. It is not so important for football but can help in the odd penalty box tussle and shows that you are an all round athlete.

Bench Press 1rm to bodyweight: Get the amount you Bench and divide it by your bodyweight the stronger you are to bodyweight the better.

Chin ups in a row:
Once again shows upper body strength. Make sure chin goes over bar and you start each rep from a dead hang. It shows strength relative to bodyweight.

Technical

CR9 Speed test: Go to http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/conten ... _en_GB.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpcAbYb3PWw

Measure accurately. This obviously shows a mixture of speed, acceleration and dribbling control. Ronaldo does it here in about 19 seconds.

Cesc Challenge: Go to
http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/conten ... _en_GB.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1R7TM8Uy5M

Measure accurately. This shows dribbling control, passing accuracy and control.

Tevez ignite challenge: http://www.nike.com/nikefootball/conten ... _tevez.pdf

And

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikefootba ... osecontrol

I think tevez does it wrong in the video so use the pdf

Let’s say 1 meter between each cone in the middle and outside, 7 meters between start point and turning point and have outside cones 3 meters on either side of central cones.
This shows great dribbling close control you can bet messi would be amazing at this.

13 Meter out instep drives out of 20 shots
: Measure 13 meters straight from your goals take 20 shots on the goal and count how many out of the 20 end up in one of the 4 corners. Do 20 on both feet.

Finally i will be editing this post and placing up the top 5 in each category and overall every so often.

Eventually when people start to post videos for evidence i will make it so you can only get into the leaderboard if you have video evidence but for now just to get it started anyone can post even without a video. ( until we all start posting videos)

Enjoy!

( and dont be offended if i ask you for clarification or evidence if one of your results looks a bit odd.)

Top Scores

General

Bodyweight:

1st: Juicygriot17 66 kg (145 lbs)
2nd: klc123 63kg (139 lbs)
3rd: soccerjj 59kg (130 lbs)
4th: scottS4 57 kg (125 lbs)
5th: desire10 46kg (90lbs)

Speed

30 meter sprint:

1st: soccerjj 5.14 sec
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

100 meter sprint:

1st: klc123 12.1 sec
2nd scottS4 14.1 sec
3rd soccerjj 14.97 sec
4th
5th

Arrowhead Agility drill :

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Explosive Power

Standing Long Jump:

1st soccerjj 2.22 meters
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Standing Vertical Jump:

1st scottS4 21 inches
2nd soccerjj 19 inches
3rd
4th
5th

Endurance

Push- ups in a minute:

1st: klc123 63
2nd soccerjj 30
3rd
4th
5th

Bleep Test:

1st scottS4 13.12
2nd klc123 12
3rd soccerjj 11.6
4th
5th

Yo-Yo test:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Strength

Squat 1rm:

1st Icy 136 kg (300 lbs)
2nd klc123 110kg (243lbs)
3rd soccerjj 70 kg (154lbs)
4th
5th

Squat 1rm to bodyweight:

1st: klc123 1.75*bw
2nd: soccerjj 1.19*bw
3rd
4th
5th

Bench Press 1rm:

1st: soccerjj 67.5 kg (149lbs)
2nd scottS4 61 kg (134 lbs)
3rd klc123 60kg (132lbs)
4th Juicygriot17 54 kg (120lbs)
5th

Bench Press 1rm to bodyweight:

1st soccerjj 1.14*bw
2nd scottS4 1.07*bw
3rd klc123 0.95*bw
4th Juicygriot17 0.82*bw
5th

Chin ups in a row:

1st klc123 17 reps
2nd scottS4 17 reps
3rd soccerjj 12 reps
4th
5th

Technical

CR9 Speed test:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Cesc Challenge:

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Tevez ignite challenge:

1st soccerjj 47 sec
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

13 Meter out instep drives out of 20 shots into corners:

Strong Foot

1st: soccerjj 6 shots
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

Week Foot

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
Last edited by soccerjj on 13 Mar 2011, 11:42, edited 11 times in total.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 04 Jun 2010, 21:46

I haven't got time to do them all at the moment, ill update when I complete.

General

Bodyweight: 63Kg, 182 cm (six foot) So bad :L BMI is 19.4 which is good i guess.

Speed

30 meter sprint: Haven't done this accurately.

100 meter sprint: 12.1 seconds, accurate timing, sprint start.

Arrowhead Agility drill : TBC
Explosive Power

Standing Long Jump: TBC

Standing Vertical Jump: TBC

Endurance

Push- ups in a minute: 63, which absolutely fu**ers me...

Bleep Test: 12, done that a year ago though so could have fluctuated...

Yo-Yo test: TBC

Should add cooper test to this. It involves running for 12 minutes none stop. I covered a distance of 3200 metres to the nearest 10.

Strength

Squat 1rm: Have not done 1RM although the highest I have ever squatted free weights was 110k at 8 reps so take that as my score.

Squat 1rm to bodyweight: 1.75

Bench Press 1rm: 60k, not that good.

Bench Press 1rm to bodyweight: 0.95, poor.

Chin ups in a row: Really bad lol, 17.

Haven't completed the rest.
Last edited by klc123 on 06 Jun 2010, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 04 Jun 2010, 22:02

Someone rate this kid a 5.00* for having one of the best ideas ever! :lol:

I'll post mine in a bit, just have to leave in about NOW, but real quick KLC:
100 meter sprint: 21.1 seconds, accurate timing, sprint start.
I think thats off man.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Ward9310

Post by Ward9310 » 04 Jun 2010, 22:14

I'll do them tomorrow, and edit this post with them.

Great idea though :D

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 04 Jun 2010, 22:19

LOL nah thats accurate :wink:

Should be 11.1, thanks for pointing out.

EDIT: Changed it to 12.1, i'm offically a jackass tbh. :L

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 04 Jun 2010, 23:32

You said it, not me :lol:

I'm loosing every physical test for sure. But I'll win every ball test for sure. :)

KLC do you seriously squat 430 pounds? What do you eat? Puppy Chow?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 05 Jun 2010, 13:28

I take protein supplements and I've been doing heavy weight training for a long time now...

I don't do squats with that weight across my shoulders as that is seriously dangerous, Instead I use a squat machine in my gym that replicates the exact same thing except you don't have to hold the weight on on point on your back.

Dual leg extensions I do 10 reps of 100k now :lol:

My legs are disgusting, but I'm always the fastest on the pitch when I play so it works I guess.

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 05 Jun 2010, 15:36

klc do you use the smith machine? the one that guides you while you squat?
If you do free weight squats you activate more muscle and your testosterone will go off the charts. the free weight swquat should be on your shoulder blades and back of the shoulders. it's actually not that dangerous, ive done it :D

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 05 Jun 2010, 16:20

Smith machines are not allowed for bench press stats etc lol. They allow you to do 10-15kg more. Lets only count free weights.

As for legs what can you guys do on leg extenstions and the leg press?

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 05 Jun 2010, 16:25

The main reason I used the smith machine is because I go to a government run gym at the moment which is pretty sh*t, and the most weights they have to put on a free bar is 100k which is way to easy for me.

If I get gym membership and a privately owned gym, which is looking likely now that I'm getting back into serious training for football as my exams are coming to a close, then I will probably do free weights, because I'll have someone to spot me there as well.

Edit: The Smith machine does not make it easier...In my opinion it makes it harder. Reason being that with free weights you have a little bit of room to move, so perfect technique is not needed to lift, with a smith machine it doesn't physically move if you do it wrong. For example, on the smith machine I can only bench 55k, free weights I much more easily do 60k.

If you want to be picky though, take 10kg off my results?

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 05 Jun 2010, 16:31

I'm not here to argue whether it's easier\harder (depends on the person), but it's certainly not 'perfect form'.

Also, Klc, make a video of this 430lb squat. I'm going to gaurentee you're not even hitting parallel.

Edit: One last thing if you can do 430lb with breaking parallel (although ATG would be better) rub it in my face after posting a video.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 05 Jun 2010, 16:47

not so much the squat, more bench press as with the smith machine you can almost push forward to help you if your struggling

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 05 Jun 2010, 17:53

Hmm, well my bench press score was with free weights so It doesn't really matter then.

Icy, bold statement.

Look up videos of the world record squat by the way, they very rarely get close to parallel, never mind touching the ground.

I squat parallel and that's what I'm comfortable with, I'm not gonna go injure myself by trying to go ATG.

And even if I was gay enough to video myself lifting weights, I wouldn't send it to anyone, nor would i rub it in your face. Grow up please.

Just out of interest, how much do you squat? because if its less than 195 then that raises some serious questions about the type of character you are...

BTW is a smith machine the thing where it is like two uprights and a pole in between and you put what weight you want on it? Because that's not what i do my squats on, we have a squat machine in my gym that is more like a vertical leg press although the trainer in the gym said it does the exact same load as a normal squad, it just doesn't put a bar across your back and makes it easier to load weights on.

Juicygriot17

Post by Juicygriot17 » 05 Jun 2010, 18:23

well i cant do my maximum until i stop growin, because i dont wanna try and mess up and stunt my growth. (i kno it doesnt but with bad form i think it can) im like 145 and ive only gone up to 120 in free weights

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 05 Jun 2010, 18:31

120k is good, how old are you?

You are better off starting off at a pathetic weight like 40k and learning perfect form and increasing your weight every work out. This teaches you proper form to do heavier weights, and it also increases your muscle more.