Soccer Boarding Schools

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
bom1221

Know of any good soccer boarding schools? It can be any half year to year long soccer boarding school anywhere. i have already looked up edukick but it doesn't seem like a place my parents want to send me. Any other information would be great, thanks :)

culdesac
New User

Shattuck-St Mary's has a very good program for hockey and soccer, including a full sized indoor field for winter training, so if your looking for a real school, thats a good bet for you.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I second SSM its a great school not only for soccer but academics. If you can meet the admission requirements and make the team then it would be your best bet.

If you have good grades and your teachers like you (they have to write recommendations) you may be able to get in. Tuition is high though at 38K for boarding but they have scholarships.

The boys soccer program recently joined the USSF Development Academy. SSM has a good record in both boys and girls programs for sending kids to top colleges for soccer and academics.

I know someone who went for hockey. Teal Bunbury went to SSM before heading to Akron and being signed by KC.

panchester07
Veteran Member

God how I wish I had these opportunities.. I'm dead serious.. For 2-3 years I was begging my parents to send me to one of these.. You can look up the topics I created on here, there all over the place.. My favorites and bookmarks where all baording schools etc.. Never happened, oh well..

My friend went to one called Avon Old Farms, its a boarding school in Avon, Connecticut with an excellent soccer program, they where champions of New England 1 year, and got out in the elimination stages the other year.. Still very competitve and about half of the team goes into college, Charlie Davies brother went to school with my Friend, and I think Charlie Davies himself went to Avon (not sure), anyway my friend is friends with him on facebook and they talk a lot, its coool i've seen the convos...

The link is: http://www.avonoldfarms.com/

Also, I've been going to soccer camps 3 years in a row in IMG Academies Florida, its very expensive 50,000 a year ish 37,000 $ education + 15,000 $ the soccer program, but in my opinion its absolutely worth it.. .They have 7 bermuda world class fields, gym profesionals, magnificent facilities, excellent weather, the best coaches (international many of em).. Its basically paradise... You can go short time like I did, and I'm going this summer again, or full time for a full year... After you go for a year they help you come back by lowering the prices, or giving you sometype of financial aid.. here is the link : www.imgacademies.com They are like a Nike premier club in the usa, and they travel loads, around the USA and even oversees.. You should defo check it out.

Those are two I know, there are many more, but 2 is good to look at. O
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:God how I wish I had these opportunities.. I'm dead serious.. For 2-3 years I was begging my parents to send me to one of these.. You can look up the topics I created on here, there all over the place.. My favorites and bookmarks where all baording schools etc.. Never happened, oh well..

My friend went to one called Avon Old Farms, its a boarding school in Avon, Connecticut with an excellent soccer program, they where champions of New England 1 year, and got out in the elimination stages the other year.. Still very competitve and about half of the team goes into college, Charlie Davies brother went to school with my Friend, and I think Charlie Davies himself went to Avon (not sure), anyway my friend is friends with him on facebook and they talk a lot, its coool i've seen the convos...

The link is: http://www.avonoldfarms.com/

Also, I've been going to soccer camps 3 years in a row in IMG Academies Florida, its very expensive 50,000 a year ish 37,000 $ education + 15,000 $ the soccer program, but in my opinion its absolutely worth it.. .They have 7 bermuda world class fields, gym profesionals, magnificent facilities, excellent weather, the best coaches (international many of em).. Its basically paradise... You can go short time like I did, and I'm going this summer again, or full time for a full year... After you go for a year they help you come back by lowering the prices, or giving you sometype of financial aid.. here is the link : www.imgacademies.com They are like a Nike premier club in the usa, and they travel loads, around the USA and even oversees.. You should defo check it out.

Those are two I know, there are many more, but 2 is good to look at. O

The IMG academy is your best bet if you want a top class soccer/education in the U.S. They have a good team and are apart of the highest level of club play in the United States, the US Academy Program.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

In terms of facilities I'm sure IMG stands out from the rest. I looked at the application and it seems you could get in unless your really bad at soccer or whatever sport your going to play. Grades also play a role but high school really isn't that hard if you apply yourself.

If you can pay the price then I would imagine they would let you in. I know its a $4000 dollar deposit to reserve your place in the academy.

It sounds like they also have an on campus interview with a tour. Once your paperwork is done they send you the deposit form and then your pretty much in.

School wise and terms of practice time seem like a good bet. You go to school from 7:30-12:30, lunch, study, then practice.

I watched a tennis documentary about young pro players/phenoms and one kid went to IMG for tennis. He also went to Pendelton School. I remember it seemed a little relaxed, again your only there 5 hours but he still bitched about going. He lived in Bradenton with his parents so he could live at home.

Another cool thing is they have a resume writing/distrbuting site only for full time members of the academy.

Bradenton Athletics is a PDL team in Bradenton, FL. It is made up mostly of IMG alumni so that is another opportunity as well for graduates.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Yeah the pendleton is a joke my peers would say, cause one of the times I went, they where still in school and I trained with the fulltimers... Its basically designed so you can pass easily, and since they school kids from Russia, to Korea, they can't make it hard on kids, that have trouble adapting to language and school system... Plus they don't want to have another reason for kids not to go, apart from the expensive school year, so they make it really easy.

Anyway yeah, its a joke, they told me it was really easy, and at night you get 2 hours of study hall anyway, so really you have no excuse not to get straight A's..

Also, plenty kids travel to tournaments and the like, and they tend to miss school for 3-4 days in a row, this is another reason they curriculum is quite simple and easy, for those kids that are competitve and travel to other states even countries, to be able to make up quickly what they missed.. Man that lifestyleeee is the best....

I have plenty of friends that stayed from the three summers I've gone, and I'd tell you, totally new people man.. Like much more open minded, much more positive, much more future oriented, much more ready to tackle the way.. I had a roomate one year, he was pretty much of a dork, everytime we ordered food we'd tell him to look up the number in the phone book, and he would basically do everything we'd tell him.. After a year of living there (he stayed fulltime), I talk to him and his self-esteem is much more higher, he was hundreds of pictures with pretty Florida Girls, don't forget pretty Tennis player girls, from Italy, France, and many south americans as well.. The kid evolved..

Honestly, football wise its excellent, but it will help you in every aspect, it will make you a much better person on and off the pitch..

I recommend it greatly.

bom1221

thanks a lot guys, this was really helpful. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I'll continue to look and i think my parents might send me to an IMG camp next year to see how it is. time to start saving up some money i guess : :P

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

bom1221 wrote:thanks a lot guys, this was really helpful. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I'll continue to look and i think my parents might send me to an IMG camp next year to see how it is. time to start saving up some money i guess : :P
I think you should sit down with your parents and ask what type of school they want you to attend. They will be the ones paying for it so you should get their input. Will they want you at a school like SSM that has good academics and soccer but focuses on both, or at a place like IMG where you are in a sport specific enviornment 24/7.

I know it doesn't help with a decision but here are the prices for a year.

SSM: $38,450

IMG: $34,060

panchester07
Veteran Member

Where'd you get those prices arsenal? I'm not saying those are inacurrate, but they could be, cause just last year (2009-2010) I was trying to go full time, and even though they offered financial aid, it was around 25 K what I had to pay...

But the complete prices untill 10 months ago where
37 K ... Education
15 K ... Soccer program
= 52 K

which is much different than 34 K when it comes to convincing mom to let you go full time ;)

I trained with this guy:http://blog.imgacademies.com/2010/04/02 ... mls-debut/

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:Where'd you get those prices arsenal? I'm not saying those are inacurrate, but they could be, cause just last year (2009-2010) I was trying to go full time, and even though they offered financial aid, it was around 25 K what I had to pay...

But the complete prices untill 10 months ago where
37 K ... Education
15 K ... Soccer program
= 52 K

which is much different than 34 K when it comes to convincing mom to let you go full time ;)

I trained with this guy:http://blog.imgacademies.com/2010/04/02 ... mls-debut/
I was wrong about IMG. I was looking at the tennis program before lol but Shattucks St. Mary's price is correct.

The price for the full time soccer academy is $43,820 per year. Its more if you add in upgrades to housing, meal plan, and training workouts.

http://www.imgacademies.com/_assets/dyn ... 20Card.pdf

Its important to pick the right school. At these prices its like paying for an Ivy League education and this is just high school.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Yeah. but img is the fu**ing sh*t... I'm gonna go this year again for the forth year in a row, there still is a program for people that graduated from high school and haven't gotten in to college..

Might pick up my level in hopes for scholarships and financial aids.. But guess what, last year I was playing the best football I've ever played (prior to knee injury) , and still they couldn't offer me anything that I could afford.. They offered 50% discount on the soccer program, and 20 % discount on the school program, and it was still a sh**load so..

Maybe I should be realistic and spend that money on something that will get me noticed, and will be more benneficial for my future.
Last edited by panchester07 on 24 Apr 2010, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I like what IMG does in terms of environment and facilities but it doesn't guarantee you anything.

Richard Jata went to IMG and even trained with the U17 National team. He was the one who was drafted as the last pick in the MLS Draft two years ago. The Chicago Fire picked him but released him. Now he is playing in the PDL.

Its just a lot of money to spend. I'm not saying its a bad route but if your looking to also go to college that is a lot of financial burden on your parents. Ask them to pay for a maximum of 4 years at IMG and then college. Yes there is financial aid in college but I wonder how it would look to the aid people if you paid to go to IMG and now want money to go to college.

You certainly don't need to go to one of these schools to become a professional.

panchester07
Veteran Member

True say, you can go pro without these schools.. In fact stats say that most pro's even in america don't even go to thse schools so.. But IMG is getting much more competitive, I remember my first year I went in 2007, and comparing it to last summer, its much more complete.. Mentally, phyiscally, soccer-wise, team wise, facility wise, its quickly growing

Whats also true, is that its a dream come true for most kids.. They basically are pro's, without the salary, but training 3-4 hours daily, playing on weekend, tournaments in the states and abroad, it doesn't get much better than that for 95% of Footballers in the making.. The training is really complete to, and kids do get better a lot, its an excellent program..and I would say its worth every penny of it, but it doesn't guarantee professionalism

I think though, it makes it much more plausible, and if a kid is willing to make an effort, sweat those 3 hours completely of training, not slack (they don't let you slack one bit, but only you know your limits and if your pushing them) its very possible that you can become a professional.

My bad bros and sis's .. Until last year it was
37 K the soccer program
15 K the school

Not the other way around;) Probably what Arsenal said, and add the final adjustments its around 50 K

bom1221

so right now my parents are thinking about what to do, and your input is greatly helping with our decision. im a sophmore in highschool right now and if next year is uneventful we'll probably try to apply to one of these schools or maybe something international. thanks again for all your help and, just wondering, but have you guys heard of the international futbol exchange (IFX) ?