My big break.

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
dream_on_go_pro

Ok so heres the deal: I had talked to one of my moms italian friends about playing for her brother who is a coach of a pretty good team in Italy. I didnt hear from her for a month or so but i got a call today that he is going to be in Miami and said he would let me come down there and basically try out for his team. I am getting his information and info all about the club sometime soon hopefully tonight.This is just for the stage of getting to a tryout in Italy if he thinks I am worth it. He is going to be down there this spring and i really need to crunch down. He has never seen me play so when i go down there i want to be in top form. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to impress this coach in the short time that i will have with him? I know this is just like any other tryout but it is so unnerving since this could be my shot at accomplishing my dreams.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Be yourself. Hopefully you are a mature, strong, person with great skill. Of course be in top shape, and be at the right fitness level. Let us know how it goes; good luck man :)

foodsample

Not that I have any excuse to be posting advice on this. But keep in mind, the coach will MOST LIKELY be looking for a player that will be willing to work hard, work hard, work hard, work hard, make sacrifices, and mold to what he needs in the team. Most likely you wont simply get stuck on the field, and asked to play how you've been training, but will take all the training that you do until then, and then craft it into what that coach wants, in regards to his own style of play. Make sure to keep an open mind vibe around you when your trying out, be friendly, and keep an ear out for any advice they might tell you throughout.
From what my coaches tell me, at least in regards to college scouts, there are loads of players with talent, they aim for players who have the work ethic first. Those are the ones that they can work with and form a team with.
"Y lo uvieras pegado al uno o dos que te salian?"
"O la hubiese tirado a la mierda, como lo hago siempre"

Mascherano ftw!

"Focus on the effort, not the results.. then results will come"

Live by it

Kasaki
Veteran Member

I didnt want to make a new thread or hijack his. But I'm going to a college showcase with 30 coaches, so It's the same question, how do u impress coaches , like u said work ethic and?

dream_on_go_pro

Ok thanks i will remember to work my ass off haha. Here is the link to the clubs's site its all i know at the moment besides the club, their development teams in Miami, and that the guy's name is Giorgio Melis. I see what you mean and i will work harder than i ever have before since this could mean everything.

www.cagliaricalcio.net

klc123
Veteran Member

Besides from the skill and physical ability you need to have to be a successful player, you also need the following to make it:-

-Determination, you need to show the coach you are willing to do anything to improve and make it.

-Devotion, you can't be going out every week getting drunk or not training every time you should be, you should be first to training last out and should never ever miss a session or underperform because of a hang over.

-Tactical awareness, you need to know what your doing on a football pitch and how to fit into the team and play as a team, there are pleanty of articles around this site to help you with that.

-Willingness to learn, you can't put anything more in your cup if it is already full. Basically be prepared to drop things you thought you knew and understand if the coach tells you to do it a certain way, hes the coach and will know best so you should listen to him to make you a better player and also he will respect you if you take his word for gold and keep trying to learn more from him, coachs love players like that.

-Mentality and Attitude. There is no point been a good football if you have the stability and consistency of jelly. You need to be positive about yourself to keep consistency but not to blame your other team mates or external factors for your mistakes as that makes you very weak minded. You should accept when you make a mistake and learn from it, not blame it or justify it with excuses.

-Effort, no matter what your doing, put all your effort into it, don't run in training half hearted just because some of your friends are messing around and chatting, you be the shining star example and try your hardest and remain focused 100% of the time on the task at hand, been able to ignor distractions is one of the key things to make it in football.

I hope this post has given you some sort of help.

dream_on_go_pro

Thanks klc. You always give good advice ill keep on honing my skills and tactics and start practicing by giving the best i possibly can even when i mess around at home so im used to it come tryou time.

klc123
Veteran Member

Another piece of advice i will give you, is to not try and be the shining star on the pitch by trying to dribble past every single player when you wouldn't normally. Play to your strengths and use them well because thats how you will perform your best, theres no point trying to play a Messi-eque type game if you don't have the dribbling ability to do so at the moment or if your better at playing a more passing role like Fabregas.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I don't want to rain on your parade but I have to ask in case anything comes of this tryout. What is your ethnic background? Where were your parents and grandparents born? Italy has the same foreign restrictions as England. To play there you have to have a European Union passport. If you would play for the youth team it may be possible but once you get close to 18 you would probably be released.

Italy is a very defensive league so if your not already I'd start lifting weights.

Is this tryout just for you or will there be other guys there?

Make the most of it and give 120% because he could like you enough to recommend you to another club where you could legally play.

Also how old are you? If your under 18 you won't be able to move abroad or sign with a team as it breaks international labor laws for children. However, you could get around it if your parents move to the country for non footballing reasons (they aren't moving just for you to sign).

Shoot if your going to be in Miami try and talk to Traffic Sports. Its becoming a huge huge opportunity for a lot of Americans. A lot of current USA u-20 players have signed with them. http://www.traffic.com.br/football_management/
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 13 Feb 2010, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Cagliari. Big team, rich history i wish you luck.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Save up for Italian Rosetta Stone. The last thing you want is to not know the language.

EDIT: I knew Calgari sounded familar. FABRICE-JEAN PICAULT plays for the primivera squad.

Kasaki
Veteran Member

CAGLIARI THATS HUGE SAVOR THIS CHANCE MAN GET ME A TRIAL!! lol

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Well forget my other post. Fabrice seemed to get to Italy easy so there is hope! He was spotted by scouts while playing for the team in Miami

http://www.soccer365.com/us_news/story_14809215734.php

Edit: Another article about Fabrice http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mod ... nt&id=5622

I'm still not sure about the work permit stuff but it does seem the age factor (u-18) is legit as he ran into the same problem.

Edit again: As I thought it sounds like the Primaveria squads and other youth teams don't require a passport from an EU country because your still an amatuer (not paid). However, there is still the U-18 problem if you were good enough to go to Italy.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 13 Feb 2010, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.

panchester07
Veteran Member

dream_on_go_pro wrote:Ok so heres the deal: I had talked to one of my moms italian friends about playing for her brother who is a coach of a pretty good team in Italy. I didnt hear from her for a month or so but i got a call today that he is going to be in Miami and said he would let me come down there and basically try out for his team. I am getting his information and info all about the club sometime soon hopefully tonight.This is just for the stage of getting to a tryout in Italy if he thinks I am worth it. He is going to be down there this spring and i really need to crunch down. He has never seen me play so when i go down there i want to be in top form. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to impress this coach in the short time that i will have with him? I know this is just like any other tryout but it is so unnerving since this could be my shot at accomplishing my dreams.
Dude, sorry but to be honest the post i've read from you I think you have a lot of work to do.... This is, like you said your big break, opportunities like these don't come to often..

In spring? So is that like in March - April? Whenever it is, you shouldn't be practicing less than 3 hours a day on a normal basis, with sundays off..

Look around and make a strength/speed/stamina/power routine, physical aspects of the game....

Also, you NEED to have mad control in order to be SOMEONE in Italy, i've played there, I have a friend that starts pro here in Panama, and got rejected from atalanta, he is ridiculously good and got turned down..

Basically, determine your weaknesses, your style of play, your strength and search the website, and do 4-5 drills per skill a day....

Have a week where you specialize in shot, have a week which is all for dribbling, have a week which is all for control etc...

Example, if your an attacking player, and your style is to beat a man, and shoot:

Week 1....
Day 1
Physical Work accordingly.. (which I suck at)
Dribbling 1 hour 6-8 drills 3 x 15 (I.E) - that will take you like an hour..
Then mantain all your other skills doing general drills like cones and shot, wall-control-shot, etc...

Day 2
Physical work accordingly
Dribbling 6-8 drills
Then general drills to mantain or youre skills..

repeat each other day..

Week 2
Day 1
Physical work accordingly
Shooting drills 6-8 drills
Then general drills to mantain all your skills

Repeat each day....

_____

If you are central defender, or anyother position then obviosly create a routine that matches your style of play, and strengthens your weakness, and keep your strengths strong :D ... In this case, you would be practicing more long balls, more headers, more counterattacks.

Do's and Dont's

Do Join as many teams as you can..
Do play with friends, anytime you can..
Do watch a lot of football..
Do train as hard as you can everyday till you colapse.
Do take your ipod..
Do keep your motivation at the highest, remember the kids you'll play against are gonna be slacking.

Don't drink
Don't overeat
Don't be lazy
Don't be weak
Don't give up
Don't slack
Don't smoke
Don't miss 1 SINGLE session

Never take a day off, Don't take breaks, break records
Its a jungle out there, its your time to become a man, and earn that respect, earn that spot in the team... Or do you wanna stay in the mediocreness all yourlife?
Now or never, just do it, balls to the wall, this is your one shot
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

dream_on_go_pro

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think as far as size and strength i should be ok because I am big, strong, and a really good defender in midfield. I have been working on control panchester its been several inches deep of snow for about 2 weeks now here. So i have just been juggling and freestyling the whole time so my juggling has improved massively. The tryout may be for the Miami team i just know that Im training with their team in Miami while he is there so he can get a good look at me. Again I really appreciate all the replies and I think that Im due for a break and ill pray to God that it works out for me.