The Work of Professional Football: A Labour of Love

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
mak9

hey guys

I just finished reading a book called

The Work of Professional Football: A Labour of Love
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Professional ... 245&sr=1-1

It gives some good insider info about the realities of a footballing career

It all comes down to money.... although many of you guys here are young, and are willing to play for free, you have to understand that in 5 years time you will need to consider starting a family and a football career is not easy, you have to take care of your body and make sure the club doesn't abuse you. There is a lot of uncertainty.

I remember my coach telling us stories about how there were many times when he had serious pain in his knees almost to the point where he couldn't walk....and the club physio just give him injections cause the clubs don't give a sh*t about how you feel.......if they are paying you money they expect you to play. This goes for all levels of the game.

The book deals with injuries and how its very common for players to hide their injuries to show good attitude. It talks about how clubs blackmailing players when they get serious injuries when it comes to contract negotiations. It talks about transfers, and how players deal with it. Finally it'll talk about the influence of family in career decisions.

This book is geared towards sociology students in university.... but for you guys who are considering this career you'll actually enjoy reading it.

If you guys are interested I can discuss more about the book.