college soccer

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
nextlevel66
Veteran Member

hey guys ive been missing for a while.. kinda like a whole year missing. anyways i committed to iona college in ny a few weeks ago. theyre d1 and a really good soccer school. they didnt make it to the ncaa tournament but they were ranked 22 in the nation a few weeks ago and their record was i think 14-3-2..somthing close to that. also they dont play that college stereotype football..they play football the right way. they keep possesion of the ball and attack with speed. they have good footskills and most of ttheir players can get by 2-3 players. i need to improve my game just a little bit to the point where i build up my confidence to take players on and start dribbling by players at the right time instead of playing simple and being an average player. my club coach keeps telling me i dont know how good i am and that i need to be more confident in order to get big minutes when i step onto the field next year. any advice, because i'm starting my college training now
My dream is to go pro and nothing or anyone will get in the way.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

First off congratulations! I'm sure its a huge weight off now that you have committed (I'm assuming you signed your intent letter and didn't just verbally commit). Now you can relax a bit this senior year now that you know where you will be heading.

If they play possession football I'd start working on movement and control in tight spaces. Get some friends together and play some small sided games. Get a smaller ball and dribble it around your house, everywhere you go (as long as its alright with your parents) try not to break anything, dribble around objects (chairs, tables, etc).

Start some speed training. Maybe go out for track in the spring? It will help keep you in shape. Throw in some agility training. You can make an agility ladder out of sticks or rope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajP6CKh ... re=related you can make the higher ladders out of some pvc pipe (skinny ones) from Lowes or Home Depot.

mustahfa14

Ok first off congradulations man! I wish you the best of luck.

Now I am a Freshman at Bradley University right now. I won't be playing with the team till the spring, but I know what it is like. I played with the guys from the team a few times. I also practiced with a few other colleges before going to bradley. I'll tell you how it is.

It is much faster paced and much more physical. Every player is faster, stronger, and better than you are used to. Don't be scared though, you will probably adjust perfectly fine.

What to do: Work out. Get your body in good physical shape. You don't have to get huge, just strong. Work on your core and strength and endurance of your legs. Do a lot of plyometrics and agility style work. Also...be in shape. The amount of running college soccer does in practice is crazy. Be in good shape going into Iona because it will make things easir.

Technically...Everyone is solid in D1. Some players..very technically good. This just comes with practice. Learn to be confident with your first touch and your technical skills. I suggest finding other teams who are of good quality to practice with. Just ask to see if you could train with them and explain that your training is for college preparation. Play as much as possible with a competitive group of players (hopefully who play a good style of possesion). It helps you learn to play the game simple, and effective. It also boosts your confidence in your touches, passes, and so forth. Then with that confidence and technical ability, being creative and taking players on (being more dangerous) will come easier.

Tactically: I assume you have seen them play or practice enough times to grasp how they play. sounds like you have in your post. Some things to do is watch them play and watch players in your position(s). Watch how they move with and without the ball. Follow them the whole game. YOu can do this with EPL games too, or teams with relatively the same style. Then ofcourse when you start playing with them, you will tactically understand how they play .

Yet again congradulations on committing to Iona. They are a quality soccer program. Hope this helped a little

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

thanks guys and yeahhh i need to start running a lotttt. and also i watch fsc and goltv everyday whenever i have time and so hopefully that will help me tactically.

mustahfa what position do you play in college

mustahfa14

The issue is I came in as a striker. I think Because of my size he could put me in back. I dont wanna do that though lol. I might be a utility player..but im not positive

but with me playing now with them in indoor, I play as a striker or center mid

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

alright thats good i wish you the best of luck mann

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Congrats Next level that is awesome. I could only dream of playing for a d1 school that was ranked in the top 25. Kepp up the hard work and don't forget to update us here on Expertfootball!!!

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Congrats man. You're living the dream of alot of us here on EF.