Going Pro in the USA

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
JoshIsKing
New User

Hello Everyone!!

Im 15 I currently live in Germany and have good chances of getting a full scholarship to a university where i would major in physical therapy in the United States. My Question is : How does it go on from there?

My Questions are:
-how can i turn pro in america after or before college?
-how much does the average american pro make?
-How does the MLS work?

Xander427
Sophomore Member

Wow, I would jump for a chance to be in Germany instead of being here. Anyway... Question 1: if you go to college, and you are good enough, you could eventually get drafted into a pick to join a team in the mls. If u want to be a pro before college, you would have to be in an academy or the residency program in Miami.
Question 2: some footballers have a second job to support themselves, so yeah....
Question 3: it's pretty much the same as every other league in the world, except not as long, and more "Americanized", or it vaguely resembles other amrican sports in terms of the organization, IMO. I've said it many times before, this countrys soccer system should be revamped and changed to be more like the rest of the world, I bet if maradona was born in Alabama, a coach would have told him, "hey that's nice, now use your right foot" or "hey pal, wanna stop dribbling?" but that's what I think. Coaches here need to just let you play sometimes. I think thts why some US players get nervous when the ball gets to them. Anyway, good for you that you are getting a scholarship, remember education and sports go hand in hand in the us. Good luck :)

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

To elaborate on what Xander already said about the MLS, Americanized aspects of the league include:

- East and West Conferences, and a playoff system
- Most matches are played on American football fields; very few exclusive stadiums
- Assists are officially recorded
- There is an MLS Draft of college/youth players

JoshIsKing
New User

How do they draft college players? do they go to games or is there a important tournament that everyone participates in?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

JoshIsKing wrote:How do they draft college players? do they go to games or is there a important tournament that everyone participates in?
Usually, clubs send out scouts to regional tournaments or something, or recognized schools occasionally. Very rarely do they go to individual games, unless to watch a known talent.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I think only 60 players are drafted by the draft and not all make it to the final roster. MLS has shortened its roster starting this season and got rid of the reserve league.

There is also the USL and PDL. You don't get paid in the PDL and its run during the summer. Its a u-23 league that a lot of college players play in. USL does scout the PDL.

There is an MLS combine but I believe you have to be invited to go to that. USL teams hold open tryouts every year for pretty much every team.

Its not easy and playing college soccer doesn't guarantee you you'll go pro but you will get an education. If you do well in college (actually play and make some noise) then someone will notice. You need to be realisitic though. If you go to a big d1 school what are your chances of playing on the team? A lot of these schools have deep rosters so playing time, unless your really good, is limited.

What college is offering you the scholarship?

There really is no average money. If your coming out of college you'll most likely sign a development contract. The minumum pay for that is around $12,000 a year (which is basically poverty, no matter what city your living in). The salaries are all screwed up imo. You have veterns who are only making 50K a year and probably less. Stuart Holden is making 35K a year and it was well known that he was spending pretty much all of that on his Dad's cancer treatments before he died. The minimum is about 12K the highest I'd say would be 20K which still isn't a lot.

If your a rookie or undrafted and you didn't sign with generation adidas (only like 5 top players sign with them and part of the salary is used to fund the rest of their college education) you'll most likely be making around 12K.

Some salaries http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/0 ... rs-are-in/

JoshIsKing
New User

The college that is offering me a scholarship is the Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. I Have an older friend who goes there and he said its very hard to start on the team as a freshman, even though he is really good... that kinda scares me :?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

JoshIsKing wrote:The college that is offering me a scholarship is the Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. I Have an older friend who goes there and he said its very hard to start on the team as a freshman, even though he is really good... that kinda scares me :?
Its pretty rare for Freshman to start right away. I think its actually good in a way as it will give you time to settle into school. Its tough being an athlete in college and trying to balance everything but it can be done. They won't let you fail. At most schools that i've seen and know kids who play sports (soccer) they are treated well. They get tutors and mentors to help them with school work.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Whats messed up is the MLB's minimum salary is $390000, with an average pay is around $3 million. While the minimum MLS pay is around $33,000 (13 for developmental players) and thats about the average aswell.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

I think the salary difference is because of the popularity of various sports in the U.S.
Soccer isn't as popular as baseball, football, or basketball and therefore isn't able to generate enough money to pay its athletes well.

The lesson to learn from this is that you are:
--First and foremost a student. You are at university to receive and education to prepare you for a professional career. Soccer is a means of getting that education for a low/zero cost.

--Remember that even if you want to play professional soccer as your career, a good education is important in case your career doesn't turn out as you expected. A college degree will give you a "Plan B".
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

pickyourheadup wrote:I think the salary difference is because of the popularity of various sports in the U.S.
Soccer isn't as popular as baseball, football, or basketball and therefore isn't able to generate enough money to pay its athletes well.

The lesson to learn from this is that you are:
--First and foremost a student. You are at university to receive and education to prepare you for a professional career. Soccer is a means of getting that education for a low/zero cost.

--Remember that even if you want to play professional soccer as your career, a good education is important in case your career doesn't turn out as you expected. A college degree will give you a "Plan B".
Popularity isn't an excuse. Players like Ljungberg, Blanco, Beckham, etc are making well over 1 million dollars to play. There is enough money there to pay all players well. Hell a 3rd division player in Europe is probably better paid than most MLS players. It seems the MLS would rather pay a bunch of money to 30+ year olds. No wonder some of the draft picks/rookies leave for Europe especially with pt not guaranteed. There is no reserve league and they don't utilize the USL enough for loan deals. I've heard USL teams want to leave USL and create their own league.

I feel bad for the rookies making under 20K. You can't live off that especially the ones in NY and LA.

I do agree about getting an education. Going pro is never guaranteed and something can always happen. Don't just pick a school because of the soccer. Ask yourself if you'd be happy there if you broke your leg and could never play again. The last thing you want is to be stuck at a school you hate.

chicagofirefan
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:- Most matches are played on American football fields; very few exclusive stadiums
Actually, a large amount of teams have Soccer Specific Stadiums.

Out of the 18 MLS Teams (including Philly, Portland, and Vancouver), only six share with teams in the NFL, etc.

DC United, Dynamo, KC, New England, Seattle, San Jose share stadiums

Also, most of them are currently planning/constructing their own stadiums, and are only using the other ones as temp homes

2brown347
Veteran Member

You might be right but when come look at PGE park and you'd say they'd be better suited sharing with a NFL team, hell they share with a pointless baseball team right now and highschools rent it for their football games.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

JoshIsKing
New User

Thanks a Lot everyone. You guys really helped me out here :D