U.S. college soccer scholarships

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Nat_H
Veteran Member

What's the breakdown of available soccer scholarships for each school's team in the NCAA? I'm sure it varies by division, right? Does it depend on the school? Does the NCAA have any requirements or regulations for schools when it comes to athletic scholarships? Thanks :)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

For mens d1 is 9.9 per team. d2 is 9.

The "sliding scale" used by the NCAA now allows a higher core GPA to reduce the SAT component. A 2.5 core GPA will still need a 820 SAT score, a higher core GPA of 2.75 will need a 720 SAT score, a 3.0 core GPA will only require a 620 SAT score and a 3.55 core GPA will just need a 400 SAT score. The NCAA has stated that their research now indicates that core class grades were the best indicators of academic success during a student-athlete’s freshman year.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 09 Aug 2009, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:For mens d1 is 9.9 per team.
Haha for an answer from you that's really short! But thanks :) Sooo....do d2 or d3 teams give out scholarships? and the 9.9 number means full ride, so the team can divvy that out as they see fit, right?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Nat_H wrote:
Haha for an answer from you that's really short! But thanks :) Sooo....do d2 or d3 teams give out scholarships? and the 9.9 number means full ride, so the team can divvy that out as they see fit, right?
I edited my post lol. d2 is 9, d3 don't give out athletic scholarships. 9.9 I would say is mostly partial scholarships with maybe 1-3 being full rides.

I've only seen 1 guy I know (a runner) get a full ride to college. He was the best in our state and had really really good grades, extra curiculars etc.

Having good grades is just as important as being a good player. Having good grades basically gets you accepted, less work for the coach to do. Some kids with lesser grades have to get some strings pulled in order to be accepted into the college. If you watch the sports news you sometimes here about grades being changed or people "sitting" in for an SAT test, taking the test for someone else.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:
Nat_H wrote:
I edited my post lol. d2 is 9, d3 don't give out athletic scholarships. 9.9 I would say is mostly partial scholarships with maybe 1-3 being full rides.

I've only seen 1 guy I know (a runner) get a full ride to college. He was the best in our state and had really really good grades, extra curiculars etc.

Having good grades is just as important as being a good player. Having good grades basically gets you accepted, less work for the coach to do. Some kids with lesser grades have to get some strings pulled in order to be accepted into the college.
OK lol. I'm not worried about SAT scores or grades. And ok. hmmm well thanks.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Nat_H wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:
Nat_H wrote: Haha for an answer from you that's really short! But thanks :) Sooo....do d2 or d3 teams give out scholarships? and the 9.9 number means full ride, so the team can divvy that out as they see fit, right?

Having good grades is just as important as being a good player. Having good grades basically gets you accepted, less work for the coach to do. Some kids with lesser grades have to get some strings pulled in order to be accepted into the college.
OK lol. I'm not worried about SAT scores or grades. And ok. hmmm well thanks.
If you can get a partial scholarship (probably half of tuition/room and board) you could fill in the rest with academic scholarships depending on grades and test scores. There is also the FASFA, its terrible to fill out (long) but have your parents do it.

And yes the scholarships are divided up by the coach/school.

As far as requirements its really just grades, if you've ever played on a team that pays you (that makes you ineligable), if you've signed with an agent (ineligable).

check out this website https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter ... neral.html

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter ... ndards.pdf NCAA FRESHMAN-ELIGIBILITY STANDARDS

tjsokkerplayer

All the above is correct, but I did want to point out that NAIA schools give 12 scholarships out per team. The schools in this NAIA are mostly nice small christian colleges and do tend to cost more. I heard the skill level is mostly the same as D-2 but Im not sure, just wanted to make sure all options were seen.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tjsokkerplayer wrote:All the above is correct, but I did want to point out that NAIA schools give 12 scholarships out per team. The schools in this NAIA are mostly nice small christian colleges and do tend to cost more. I heard the skill level is mostly the same as D-2 but Im not sure, just wanted to make sure all options were seen.
Yes don't rule out NAIA, they are good schools. A few pros even went to NAIA powers houses.

They are moslty private colleges, some with religious affiliations so they are pricy.

Explore all avenues.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

OK cool. I don't know much about the NAIA....and can't say I'm too interested in it, but good to watch out for.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

I have heard that most colleges will want a prospective player to have at least a 3.5 GPA unless they are extraordinarily good.

As for NAIA schools they tend to be as good as D-3 schools as far as I can tell (my club team has played against schools from both levels) and are no worse academically so they are a really good option. I have been talking with a few NAIA coaches and they seem very knowledgeable and have caught my interest.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

John_Bob wrote:I have heard that most colleges will want a prospective player to have at least a 3.5 GPA unless they are extraordinarily good.

As for NAIA schools they tend to be as good as D-3 schools as far as I can tell (my club team has played against schools from both levels) and are no worse academically so they are a really good option. I have been talking with a few NAIA coaches and they seem very knowledgeable and have caught my interest.
Thats cool, I hope it works out. What schools have been showing interest?

As I said before a good gpa makes it much easier. Players with lower gpa's and test scores have more hoops to jump through. The coaches usually work with admissions to get them accepted.

John_Bob
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:
John_Bob wrote:I have heard that most colleges will want a prospective player to have at least a 3.5 GPA unless they are extraordinarily good.

Thats cool, I hope it works out. What schools have been showing interest?

As I said before a good gpa makes it much easier. Players with lower gpa's and test scores have more hoops to jump through. The coaches usually work with admissions to get them accepted.
Evergreen and Northwest University, two small schools in Washington.

Flyingmoose
Veteran Member

concerning the grades....you need to send your grades to the ncaa shipping house in order to become eligible for college play. If your a junior or beginning senior you should look into it. https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter ... udent.html

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Flyingmoose wrote:concerning the grades....you need to send your grades to the ncaa shipping house in order to become eligible for college play. If your a junior or beginning senior you should look into it. https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter ... udent.html
Yes its a good guide. Also the higher gpa you have the more laxed the test scores need to be. If you have a low gpa you need a high test score.

When you register for the SAT or ACT there are spots for school codes. If you put a schools code in there your score will be sent to that school. You should also add 9999 which is the code for the NCAA eligibility center. You sign up for the eligibility center obviously before putting their code down on your registration form. Its good to sign up because it gives you a checklist of things you need (if you have enough classes,gpa,test scores you would need based on gpa) etc. If your a junior or senior sign up asap. Also if your emailing coaches give them your id number so they can also check out your status. If they are really intersted the coach will probably ask for it anyway to make sure you don't slip up in the grade department. You need to have passed at least 16 "core" courses in high school for d1, most high schools require around 20+ for graduation.

16 Core Courses: D1
4 years of English.
3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
2 years of social science.
4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreignlanguage or nondoctrinal religion/philosophy).

DIVISION II
14 Core-Course Rule
14 Core Courses:
3 years of English.
2 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
2 years of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
2 years of social science.
3 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or nondoctrinal religion/philosophy

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter ... ndards.pdf
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 10 Aug 2009, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Isn't it required to send the NCAA eligibility center your scores? Because if you don't the NCAA won't be able to verify them.