Highlight Tapes

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
tHoFF
New User

Hey guys,

I recently visited a college in Ohio. While I was there my teammates and I met with one of the coaches. He told us to prepare a highlight tape to send into them.

I was wondering what college coaches are looking for in the tape?

Keep in mind I play center defense.

Thanks for any help.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I live in Ohio, what school was it that you visited?

I'd get some footage of you doing defensive work (tackling obviously). Maybe if you have scored any goals from corners or other set pieces, how well you mark opponenets and close them down.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

also add in some footage of long balls or some through passes and defensive headers..........
sig by 2brown347

tHoFF
New User

arsenalfc08 wrote:I live in Ohio, what school was it that you visited?

I'd get some footage of you doing defensive work (tackling obviously). Maybe if you have scored any goals from corners or other set pieces, how well you mark opponenets and close them down.
I visited Ashland. What part of Ohio are you in? I'm in Marion, about 45 minutes north of Columbus.

Thanks for the help guys.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tHoFF wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:I live in Ohio, what school was it that you visited?

I visited Ashland. What part of Ohio are you in? I'm in Marion, about 45 minutes north of Columbus.

Thanks for the help guys.
Thats cool. I've heard of Ashland, it looks nice from the website. I'm in Dayton.

tHoFF
New User

Cool, that's not too far from here.

But yeah Ashland was pretty nice. Hopefully they like me enough to bring me in to practice and then go from there.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tHoFF wrote:Cool, that's not too far from here.

But yeah Ashland was pretty nice. Hopefully they like me enough to bring me in to practice and then go from there.
I'd start getting it together. Are you a senior? If not you'll probably have more time to get it all together. I'd also suggest sending in a soccer resume with awards,club/high school info,coach references. You can also put your gpa, tests scores, and anything else you may think would look good (40m times, 100m times,etc).

tHoFF
New User

I have. It's about 1/2-2/3 done so far.

Yeah I am a senior. I applied there too, so in a couple weeks I should get a letter. Yeah, I think I'll put that resume in with the video when I send it, good idea. I missed try-outs for club this year, though. I had a Senior District All-Star Game, but I've been in contact with the coach, so hopefully they'll have extra room.

Do you know of any other clubs in like Central Ohio? (Other than Elite FC)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tHoFF wrote:I have. It's about 1/2-2/3 done so far.

Yeah I am a senior. I applied there too, so in a couple weeks I should get a letter. Yeah, I think I'll put that resume in with the video when I send it, good idea. I missed try-outs for club this year, though. I had a Senior District All-Star Game, but I've been in contact with the coach, so hopefully they'll have extra room.

Do you know of any other clubs in like Central Ohio? (Other than Elite FC)
I know of team ohio fc there in dublin http://teamohiofc.com/

http://www.warriorsoccer.com/

http://www.daytonunitedsoccer.com/ they apparently need playes for spring

I'm not sure if any of those are close to you but thats all I can think of.

Are you in contact with any other schools? Send that tape and resume out to any school you can think of and fill out those recruit questionare forms on college websites. I don't know of any other colleges around except Wright State but i'm sure with some looking you could find some.

Akron is supposed to have a good program. Ohio Northern is good, one guy that plays for then and with the cincinnati kings (PDL) had trials in England.

tHoFF
New User

Alright thanks. I'll check out those sites.

Yeah I have been talking to some other schools. Most are D3 though. I really wanna try to work my butt off and get onto a D2 squad, but if it's D3 I'll settle for it. I'll make sure to make multiple copies. Thanks.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tHoFF wrote:Alright thanks. I'll check out those sites.

Yeah I have been talking to some other schools. Most are D3 though. I really wanna try to work my butt off and get onto a D2 squad, but if it's D3 I'll settle for it. I'll make sure to make multiple copies. Thanks.
If your looking for other D2 programs Ohio Dominican,University of Findlay, and Tiffin University all have soccer.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

tHoFF
New User

Alright thanks for all the help. The Elite coach emailed me and said they were full at u18. He said he'd email me if someone drops, though. I also asked if I could bump up to u19. If not, I'm on a club search.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

tHoFF wrote:Alright thanks for all the help. The Elite coach emailed me and said they were full at u18. He said he'd email me if someone drops, though. I also asked if I could bump up to u19. If not, I'm on a club search.
Hopefully you can get on the u19 team, I don't see why he couldn't bump you up. How did the high school season go?

tHoFF
New User

arsenalfc08 wrote:Hopefully you can get on the u19 team, I don't see why he couldn't bump you up. How did the high school season go?
We definitely under-achieved. We went through a coaching change and I think that he should get the program back on track. We also lost one of our top defender/midfielder due to him being lazy and skipping out on summer practices. Then a little after the midway point of the season we lost our top goal scorer. It was rough, but we did alright. We got to second round in the post season, got knocked out by Columbus Academy.

mint
EF Drug Baron

in a highlight video ( ive never made one but i know how they work) you should include footage of:

Defending

Like afc said send some footage of you defending set pieces, for example throw ins, freekicks etc

You communicating to other players

Coaches like players who can take control on the field and tallk to their teamates, if your quiet you wont be noticed as much but if you talk to your teammates thats good and coaches like that.

Off the ball

Include a bit of footage showing what you do when your not in possesion as in your positioning reading the play etc.

Starting an attack

If your a main attack starter for your team, include footage of you making passes etc to start a posssible attack that ends with a goal.

Goals youve scored

If you have scored any goals include that in the footage.

Taking set pieces

if you take freekicks or corners for your team include some footage of that, especially if you have scored any goals for your team from a freekick.

The general rule is do not make the video too long because most likely coaches wont want to sit watching one video for hours, id say keep it at most half an hour.

Dont include footage of you making mistakes.
i was made to ignite