My friend on the national team

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
messi14

Well my friend made the u14 national u.s team and to be honest I am pretty competetive with him but yet I didnt even get to the regional level team, I think its because I dont show very well at the tryouts but they didnt even show interst in me is it because i am small? I am now determined to make it, I am not ready for nationals but I at least want to give a good shot at making the regional team. any tips?

any help would be greatly appreiciated.

brettchelsea9

SHOW them up just play the way u always play dont care what they thi0nk
just play
sig made by me!

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

play smart. dribbling is your last option. defensive third and middle pass unless you have clear space. offensive third reach into your bag of tricks because the coaches love seeing flair and you attacking players. don't be afraid well you will be at the first tryout. and always at the first tryout or whatever it is always start off the game with a nice easy pass to get your confidence up. most important is having an impact. what you do the best and what the coaches will remember you by. i went through the process and know what they want. i didnt make regionals but i can give you alot more advice if need be. just ask
My dream is to go pro and nothing or anyone will get in the way.

messi14

Thanks a lot, and yes nextlevel any help you can give me at all will help

messi14

anyone else?

canadianfootballer

to me it really seems to be about 2 things: confidence and playing smart. I have a similar situation my cousin is 2 years younger than me he made the provincial (state) team i have seen him games a few times, one thing a noticed is he doesnt run and wear himself out stupidly he plays really smart as in my opinion he lacks fitness but his on ball skills and playing smart takes him a long way. i think you should take it a step at a time i can help you with that but i need to know the levels of play in your area to help more, such as in my area these are the levels:

National
Provincial (state if ur american ) and USL academy teams ( super y leugue)
Metro (regional select team)
Gold
Silver
Bronze
Red

in my areas system i am at silver so my plan and it is realistic is to go gold for U16 which is next year (i play u15 as i am 14) and also again for gold in U17 to domininate that year and then U18 make my local select team and maybe provincial as i will have a good soccer resume for college :D

anyways tell me your kind of system in ur area and i can give more input on where realistically u can go as u said u play competitive with him so i think realistically you can go for the state select team in the near future ( 1,2,3,4 years)
Last edited by canadianfootballer on 16 Sep 2008, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

messi14

Well I live in the states and how it works here is first there are odp [olympic devolpment program] that you try out for only in your state so you will be able to make the state team witch I have already accomplished, then there is a regional camp that all the states in the regions odp teams go to, and at the camp coaches ask certain players to stay at the regional camp and they pick the best regional players.After you have done that, all the regional teams are asked to go to another camp where there you are trying to get scouted for the national team and if they like you they will give you a call and tell you if you have made the national team wich only 36 kids are picked in the whole country, and my friend is one of those kids, so ya thats pretty much how it works

but if your taking about my club level playing outside my state team, there are clubs and pretty much you tryout for the teams you want, some teams are in a gold division and some in silver. mine is in gold and we were the state champions,but I can still try out for higher age groups wich my friend does to help me prepare for regionals.

canadianfootballer

messi14 wrote:Well I live in the states and how it works here is first there are odp [olympic devolpment program] that you try out for only in your state so you will be able to make the state team witch I have already accomplished, then there is a regional camp that all the states in the regions odp teams go to, and at the camp coaches ask certain players to stay at the regional camp and they pick the best regional players.After you have done that, all the regional teams are asked to go to another camp where there you are trying to get scouted for the national team and if they like you they will give you a call and tell you if you have made the national team wich only 36 kids are picked in the whole country, and my friend is one of those kids, so ya thats pretty much how it works

but if your taking about my club level playing outside my state team, there are clubs and pretty much you tryout for the teams you want, some teams are in a gold division and some in silver. mine is in gold and we were the state champions,but I can still try out for higher age groups wich my friend does to help me prepare for regionals.

then in one or two years i think you will be on that national team in my opinion. All you need to do is keep training and u should get there

Middleman13
Veteran Member

dont be dissapointed that you didnt make the us national team.

US soccer as of now is super sh*tty.

Coaches at that level want super athletes who have some skill.
Basically, if your not ronaldhino ..then your going to have to have some size to you.

and another the reason why US soccer is so shity is becasue we dont have a STYLE to our football.

Coaches are telling these kids. ' you gotta pass here and and play a long ball here and dont try anything dangerous in the final third'

Coaches at that level and at the highest level in the US arent letting the game play itself.

theres some more i could say but this would turn into a book.
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Middleman13 wrote:dont be dissapointed that you didnt make the us national team.

Basically, if your not ronaldhino ..then your going to have to have some size to you.

and another the reason why US soccer is so shity is becasue we dont have a STYLE to our football.

Coaches are telling these kids. ' you gotta pass here and and play a long ball here and dont try anything dangerous in the final third'

Coaches at that level and at the highest level in the US arent letting the game play itself.

I agree with you. Plus Eddie Johnson? Seriously, he started playing at 10 and then by 15 was at residencey. He has nothing going for him except speed. Honestly, he seems so lost of the field, and those back passes.

Yeah he had that good season in MLS but he hasn't done it in Europe. He's at Cardiff now (on loan) and has missed some really easy chances. With hte way things are going at Fulham I doubt he will go back.

He also has an rep of being lazy. He needs to get it through his head that he needs to work his ass off.

Sorry for my rant.

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

Middleman13 wrote:dont be dissapointed that you didnt make the us national team.

wow you barely nothing about ussoccer if you think that coaches are telling players to play long balls and not do anything dangerous in the offensive third

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

If you want to get into why we suck compared to Europe, I can tell you straight up from experience playing on the West Coast, East Coast, and Europe (Holland and Spain).

We suck major. We aren't fast enough thinking, we don't play the ball smart, we move around and rely too much on athleticism. Use your strength much more though, play smart quick balls (you shouldn't touch the ball longer than 2 seconds), possession equals domination, if you lose it go get it back right that second; switching from offense to defense should be instantaneous. If you have a shot on goal, you make it or you get kicked off the team.

If you cannot keep up at that pace, you will never be able to make it onto a youth pro team in Europe. I lost heart after watching some of the youth pro teams. Seriously, they beat the everliving sh*t out of us. You think your high school team is good? Well imagine a team that could whoop your high school team 20-0, no exaggeration.

That's why we can't compete; we simply suck. I don't know where it stems from, but they just have better coaches, and they better groom their players. I got tons smarter playing over there, but now that I'm back here I can't use that knowledge because no one knows how to play like that. Sad fact.

Middleman13
Veteran Member

Look at the US national Team next level. I t kinda came out wrong with what i was tryn to say.

I meant like US soccer has a very structured way of playing which is ok but its broing and predictable.Defenders defend and attackers attack.

Look at Europe Preferably spain. Attackers attack and defend and defenders defend and attck. Sergio Ramos is a perfect example of this

nextlevel66
Veteran Member

well put it that way you are exactly correct

Middleman13
Veteran Member

Im just sayin :D