I dont know if i should try out for the college soccer team

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
soccer

Hi everybody, i started soccer late....8th grade/freshmen year. i did rec soccer freshmen yr and i tried out for jv sophmore year and got cut. I tried out jr year and got cut again...but was offered a spot on the team as part of the coaching staff as Team Manager. I got to practice with the team and stuff. This is my last year(Sr) im hoping i will make the team this year. My question is im wondering if i should bother to try out for a college team even tho i make the varsity team or not? I understand id have to train harder then ever. Oh, do they happen to have soccer teams at community college?

i was just curious, i figured id asked the questions and see what kind of responses i get(positive or negative answers)

ciao

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

There are community colleges that have soccer. You could also look at division 3 schools and naia schools. Don't just look at the school for soccer though. No matter what level you play at you will need to really work hard.

I really suggest trying to get on a club team. This will help you as I believe most colleges recruit from club tournaments. Start looking around at schools and emailing the coach/ filling out those recruiting forms on the website.

Get some type of personal soccer trainer if you can, work on fitness and ball skills as much as possible.

here is junior colleges division 1, under the calender there is a drop down menu with all the colleges. There is also division II, go to the drop down menu "mens sports" and click on soccerII. http://www.njcaa.org/sports.cfm?sid=17& ... r=m&slid=9

It is really going to be tough, i mean some kids play there whole lives and never get recruited/play in college.

soccer11
Admin

if i'm being honest, i wouldn't tryout, but that's just me.

for you, if you feel you can make it then go for it. but really, don't go to a school just because they have soccer. that's senseless because your future is far more important.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I agree with soccer Never pick a school just because of soccer, you are there for academics not sports, sports are an extra.

Honestly though if you can't make your highschool team for 3 years (not sure how good your team is though) what makes you think you could play at the next level (college).

People I know that are playing in college played on good club teams (their teams won the state cup at least once while they were on it) and they were outstanding for their high school teams (their hs teams were really good).

I hate to sound mean but lets be realistic, you haven't played really at a high level (club,odp,dev.academy,highschool).

soccer

Thanks for your honest answers:)

helped alot

jdefoe
Forum groupie

dude, i'm telling you straight up. GO TO SOCCER CAMPS, like go to camps and stuff over the summer before tryouts are actually held. This way, coaches can see you, assess you, and if you aren't good enough to make the team, atleast they will give you a training programme with stuff to work on, and then next year you might just make it. just keep at it dude!

soccer

Ah, thanks bro!!! yeah, im just training for the varsity team at our school. hope i make it....would indoor soccer help as well for training? sorry i feel silly asking that.

soccer camps, in terms of getting ready for college level football??

im thinking about applying to san jose state...hows there soccer team? jw

sry i never been to soccer camps ever lol. do i have to find one close to the college im going to??

thanks
for the help guys.....