Priblem with American Youth Club Soccer

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc

Do you think American youth club soccer is to expensive?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 8

messimaradona

Priblem with American Youth Club Soccer

Post by messimaradona » 01 Jul 2008, 16:58

Hi, this forum is sort of rant about club level soccer for youths here in the U.S.. The first and main problem i have is the 'eliteist' attitude, not elite in terms of skill, but status. In my home state all the top clubs are super expensive. LAst year was my first year, and i played on the B team and it was still 800-900 bucks. This year, the price for the 2 team has been moved uped to 1500 and the A team around 1800 plus travel expensives. The sad part is that all the other really competitve clubs cost just as much or even more. Clubs also don't hand out scholarships, which makes it nearly impossible for me or other working homes to pay for. The clubs make absoulty no reach to inner city schools or kids, whihc is why their soccer programs usually are pretty bad. zzthey act like in order to be good, you have to be rich. Do they not realize that many of the greatest players came from VERY poor situations. SEcond, i think they favor players that have been in the system longer than new players. IT seems like last year worse players were picked for the A team over me because they had played before. Now, im stuck with a dilema , the only team i can afford, is OK, and could be decent with some good players, but not nearly the competitve envirnment i feel i need to step up my game.

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 01 Jul 2008, 17:19

Yes I do agree with you that the system favors the rich and sometimes the people that have been in the system. But if you work hard enough and out play the competition and prove yourself than the coach will usually want you on the team. About the money, yes it is expensive, but if you are REALLY REALLY good then the club usually offers your family a soccer scholarship (even though you say they don't, they will in certain cases if you are good enough). My suggestion would be to stay on your current 'OK' team and try to prove your self every time you play against a better team or one that you would really like to play for. And if it really is something you want to do that badly (play for a good or 'expensive' club) then you can usually talk to the team manager and ask if you can pay in portions. I used to do this when I played for a club that cost about $2000, the club manger would usually charge about $340 every two months. I know conditions may be hard for you but if you really want to play competitive soccer, than I am sure you can get the money somewhere. Part time job even maybe. And for the traveling, you can explain your situation to teammates and there are usually nice people who will always give you rides and pay for your hotel rooms and let you travel with them etc.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 01 Jul 2008, 17:40

Paying to play really is the downfall of US soccer.

Most clubs have some type of scholarship available to help off set the costs. I would suggest getting a part time job and put your money towards the cost of club ball (see if they can set up a payment plan). I would also suggest paying for everything you may want/need in terms of equipment to help ease the burden on your parents.

If you really want to play there are ways. Part time job, maybe trade in some old video games you don't like for cash at places like Gamestop.

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

Post by tevezaholic » 01 Jul 2008, 18:13

yea,out here in Barbados u have to pay also,but no biggy,because my club gives alot of opportunities
JESUS IS LORD
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 01 Jul 2008, 18:50

Buy things at garage sales and sell them on eBay. You can make more money than you think. Also - try having a soccer camp for younger kids. Charge $50 to $100 per kid for a 7 day, 3 hour camp and get some mates to help you out with advertising. If you can get 15 kids, that's a possible $1,500 dollars.

thrillboy
Veteran Member

Post by thrillboy » 23 Dec 2008, 04:47

Thrillboy is back from a year of absense. Soccer baby.Yes I totally agree with you. This year was my first year of club soccer. So I joined this one select team. We had 2 practices every week and a game on sunday. the season was about 10 games long. The thing that really frustrated me about the club(and american youth soccer in general) was that when I went to the practices there were only like 6 kids who showed up, the coach was coaching another team, and none of the kids took soccer seriously except for me. On top of it all you have to play about 1000 dollars for them. Since I got a scholarship, i pay 150 dollars but I don't have the money. So I work for the coach to pay it off.

Im from africa and I used to play pickup games that was really high caliber for free. I thought that I would get a good learning experience if I actually jooined a club, but I was wrong. Not to say that my skills didn;t improve or anything, but I think the whole system is flawed. If you go Europe and other countries, their soccer clubs and academies are top class, the coaches are full time, and the kids are all serious about playing.

Even if you go to poor countries you'll find clubs that are really good and they don't try and take money away from the players. I might not even play next year because im in my junior year and I need a job and the program isn't very good. I was thinking of playing premier soccer but I probably wont because it's too expensive.

If you compare a youth club in south america where the players don't pay a cent to a youth club in North America where the players pay thousands of dollars, you'll definently find the south americans better.

Why do we even have these expensive clubs in the first place? My advice, move to england or some other foreign country.

Im back. Play beautiful.
Procrastination is like masterbation, it feels good at first, but in the end youre just f'ing yourself. :lol:

INTER1908
Veteran Member

Post by INTER1908 » 23 Dec 2008, 06:00

I agree the cost is way too much. The attitudes of the players in classic clubs are terrible too they think they are better because thier family can pay money to put them on a team. I know poor people that could play 10x better than the rich classic kids.

Football is the poor person's sport and should stay that way.
Made by 2Brown.

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 23 Dec 2008, 20:07

I agree totally with what your saying. Paying for club is a joke. Not to mention all the extra costs for tournaments and travel. I'm confused about you guys mentioning scholarships for clubs and such. It has never been like that here.

As someone said before, some of the better players do come from poverty and since they can't play for big clubs for exposure, they suffer playing for lower level teams. America is too upsessed with money and power. THey need to emphasize more on developement of soccer and their players. The reason why we have such good american football is when kids are young (as a child through highschool) they don't have to pay all this money for opportunity. This gives everyone a chance, and thats why football is so succesful. We need to do the same for soccer..bad. Otherwise it won't get much better.

They are trying to work on that with the academy system, but some teams still have to pay ridiculous amounts of money. But others like chicago fire academy, everything is free.

IggTron7
New User

Post by IggTron7 » 25 Dec 2008, 02:55

I agree that soccer in America is for the rich. This cripples its ability to set into our culture. Rich people are not as interested in professional sports as the lower and middle classes. In America basketball, football, and baseball have strong support due to the fact that they are offered to the lower and middle class. In Europe and other parts of the world soccer is embraced by the same class of people.
"Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple" -Johan Cruijff

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 29 Dec 2008, 04:16

mustahfa14 wrote:I agree totally with what your saying. Paying for club is a joke. Not to mention all the extra costs for tournaments and travel. I'm confused about you guys mentioning scholarships for clubs and such. It has never been like that here.

As someone said before, some of the better players do come from poverty and since they can't play for big clubs for exposure, they suffer playing for lower level teams. America is too upsessed with money and power. THey need to emphasize more on developement of soccer and their players. The reason why we have such good american football is when kids are young (as a child through highschool) they don't have to pay all this money for opportunity. This gives everyone a chance, and thats why football is so succesful. We need to do the same for soccer..bad. Otherwise it won't get much better.

They are trying to work on that with the academy system, but some teams still have to pay ridiculous amounts of money. But others like chicago fire academy, everything is free.
I agree that the pay to play is a dumb idea and it might keep me from playing with the best club within 30 minutes of my house but the only problem is that you have to pay for the field usage, referres, uniforms, tournuments, etc. and someone has to pay that. LIke what mustahfa said about how you dont have to pay for the chicago fire academy its because they have a pro team backing them so that is what pays for all that stuff, and that is the same in europe. Like i said before i think that paying to play is the last thing us soccer needs to overcome before we can become a soccer power, i dont think that it will happen for a while.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 29 Dec 2008, 04:56

I'm sure most of the mls teams are free, it would make the most sense. However, that doesn't help the kids who don't have an mls team near them or even in their state. The costs are enormous when you think about the club fees,travel,hotel costs,food,equipment for the player.

My brother played travel hockey and my dad said it cost $10,000 a year. We were gone almost every weekend and staying in hotels. We drove everywhere,it all added up. Very expensive.

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 29 Dec 2008, 11:24

Yeah i made a club similar to this in Canada. It was going to cost more than 2000 a year and maybe 6000 because we were going to be travelling quite a bit. Maybe even to Africa. I had nowhere near that money so I told them i couldnt play with them. They told that they would work out sponsorship for me and to not worry about the money but i decided not to. Just basically play your game as good as you can and something will work out. Basically practice, prayer and patience are what have helped me move along in football.