U-18 vs U-17

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Francis8
Veteran Member

should i play a year down for a U-17 team that has better players than the U-18's, or should I stick to kids my "size" but less ability in the U-18's. the U-17's have better players but the U-18's offer more of a physical challenge.

which one should I go for..they are both elite level...
The testicles of a "right whale" weigh 1100 lbs each....... :o

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Francis8 wrote:should i play a year down for a U-17 team that has better players than the U-18's, or should I stick to kids my "size" but less ability in the U-18's. the U-17's have better players but the U-18's offer more of a physical challenge.

which one should I go for..they are both elite level...
surely if you can play for an u17 side then u18s would be a year up?

secondly, i'd like to know what you define as elite level

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Francis8
Veteran Member

yes of course, U-18 is one up from U-17, but I have a choice of physical play in U-18, or better play and still physical in U-17..now that I come to think of it...why did i even consider U-18 if they are not as good??
elite is as good as most of if not all academy's, and then D1 (most academy and elite players, the BEST ones go to D1), then pro.

so its Elite/Academy~ D1, Pro

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

is this in america then i take it

its just in your first post you said "should i play a year down for u17s"

and i certainly dont think "elite" is equal to decent academies

especially following your logic, you say D1 colleges follow on from "elite" teams and i can tell you most academies are alot better than D1 colleges so your arguement kind of falls flat

academies win the majority of matches against colleges when the come over here and when you consider the age gaps, academies will field all u18s or 19s and some 16 even 15 year olds against colleges 20 and 21 year olds and still win

you cant say colleges are better standard so "elite" teams will come no where near to good academies

soccer11
Admin

wait explain this to me. how can you play a "year down"? you can't play a year down, only a year up. that's where the numbers come in. what age group do you fall into normally?

Francis8
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:wait explain this to me. how can you play a "year down"? you can't play a year down, only a year up. that's where the numbers come in. what age group do you fall into normally?
dammit I meant year up..

and scottyboy, I'm talking about US academys, not foreign ones.

and btw, when did 15 year olds beat US D1 colleges?

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Francis8 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:wait explain this to me. how can you play a "year down"? you can't play a year down, only a year up. that's where the numbers come in. what age group do you fall into normally?
dammit I meant year up..

i obviously dont mean a team of 15 year olds, just an under 18 team with one or two, i played against dartmouth college when i was 16 and we won and i know west ham beat them, i think the only game they won on their trip was against the unversity of sheffield, what an achievement :?

correct me if im wrong but is dartmouth not D1, and an ivy league school?

redrover365
Veteran Member

Francis8 wrote:
dammit I meant year up..

so if you play U-18s youll be playing two years up? Then definetly do that it will be impressive cause the team isnt that good so youll be able to shine as an individual player

If you believe IWGP's dog should not die of leukemia, then show him your support!

soccer11
Admin

ScottyBoy wrote:
Francis8 wrote:
dammit I meant year up..

i obviously dont mean a team of 15 year olds, just an under 18 team with one or two, i played against dartmouth college when i was 16 and we won and i know west ham beat them, i think the only game they won on their trip was against the unversity of sheffield, what an achievement :?

correct me if im wrong but is dartmouth not D1, and an ivy league school?
yea it's a D1 ivy league school but that isn't saying much. they have no athletic scholarships so no top athletes go there

Francis8
Veteran Member

redrover...no I;m not 15, I am 17 now, so U-17 is my choice but I would rather stay on U-17 cause they are a better team all around.

scottboy, dartmouth is crap to be honest, they should be D2, but teams like UCLA and wake forest are much different. VT and UVA would do "something" against foreign academys.

but i do agree, most kids here are terrible, and its mainly because u see the kids play that can pay, not the ones that can actually play, which is why the US national team sucks...and always will unless they drop money out of football in "youth systems"