What position am i ?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ronaldoR7

What position am i ?

Post by ronaldoR7 »

Hey guys atm im playing CM , LM or RM for club but i dont feel that i fit in those positions . Ok im good at
-finshing
-Beating the keeper 1v1
-my stamina lacks so thts why i shoudlnt b in my mid
-a good n powerful instep
-good at pulling off stepovers
-i got abit of speed which is wuite good
- n i got ok Vision on the field

i was thinkin that i dnt fit in the mid n maybe i should ask the coach to replace me in the striker position ? what do yu guys think . ?
oh yeh one more thing i paly striker at skool n i feel much more comfortable playing striker ..
user1101

Post by user1101 »

It seems as though you know the answer to your question, and are simply looking for reassurance before asking your coach..

The qualities you have mentioned are suited to strikers, especially your speed and finishing. Your strongest qualities are not suited to the defense, and since you aren't comfortable playing in the midfield, playing as striker seems like your only option.

If you feel comfortable playing striker, explain this to your coach and tell him you would like a few chances at playing up front.
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life »

Your skills sound like those a striker would typically possess. However, it's possible you're playing midfield because your coach thinks there are others better suited to the position that you. Just talk to your coach about a possible position switch or ask him to let you try it for a few games in a less competitive environment than league games (friendly scrimmages, etc).
ExpertFootballer

Post by ExpertFootballer »

Well... idk, I'd think a Striker would have fast ability, so that's where you lack.

Supporting striker, maybe?
mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 »

You seem to have qualities of a forward, but don't expect that the transition into playing a forward will be easy. There are a lot of people who think "Hey, I am fast and can shoot really well, I'll make a great forward." The fact of the matter is that excellent forwards require lots of experience. One of the most important things for forwards especially is to recognize the best way to create a goalscoring chance for the team. Often times this means playing indirectly. Now, there will be times when the defense is stretched and a quick, long, and direct ball with a strong upfield run will yield a good chance. Most of the time this is not true though. Therefore, you need to be willing to check back or to the wing, receive the ball, drawing defenders away from your teammates, and play it back to a teammate who sees the field rather than trying to turn and take it yourself. At the same time, you must maintain a certain connection with your partner up top and with your midfielders so that you are close enough to work together, but not getting in each other's way. This takes time and playing with the same players who are smart about the field. Meanwhile, if you aren't chicking to the ball, you need to spread the defense by making your presence felt aka running into dangerous deep locations where if you get the ball and the defense is asleep you can punish them. At the same time though, good forwards are wary of their position and can never get caught offside (it's an obvious sign of a poor or inexperienced player when they always get caught way offside no matter how technically good they are.) In case you haven't noticed, a good forward must be happy with not getting much of the ball, but at the same time you need to be able to make an impact. Now, when you don't have the ball, you need to pressure the defense, and when I say pressure, I don't mean jog around and "follow" the ball. I mean bust ass to get to any somewhat vulnerable ball and make a hard effort to get it back. Many outside backs are poorer players on the team, and the pressure of a forward sprinting towards them under control can make them scared, leading to mistakes. Even if they are good players, your continued presence will get them jumpy after a while, and a defense that always is on their toes and uptight is very likely to a) fu** up somewhere, and eventually b) get tired. This causes great scoring chances. Now while there are some exceptions to this game plan, they are few and far between. In fact, the only reason they exist is that they are so excellent with their positioning on the field that they do not require such a high level of activity. A prime example of this is Inzaghi. He knows exactly where he needs to be to score always, and therefore he hardly needs to move to make his impact.

Saying all of this, I wonder about your ability to walk into a forward's role and make an impact. This is because you admit that you have poor stamina, and a good forward has to run a lot. Maybe as a substitute forward you would excel because you could go all out for about 15-20 minutes or so and then rest, but I wouldn't play you through the half for sure. But good luck, I hope it goes well for you and don't expect instant success. Over time if you stick with it and improve your stamina, you can make it.
God damn brewery!!!
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz »

MPCARRES!!!!!!!!!! Haven't seen you in a while budd. And I need some help with squating but that can wait.

You'd make a nice burst striker. The type that makes the right runs, or the ones who can put the ball in whereever he gets it, as simple as that.
mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 »

Yeah, I've been around. I probably won't stay around for too long, but I won't leave permanantly either.
God damn brewery!!!
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz »

Where have you been anyways? (sorry for doing this in your topic ronaldoR7)
ronaldoR7

RE:What position am i ?

Post by ronaldoR7 »

aye thanks guys . Nice explaination mpcarres14
ye i think i should play striker too.no the coach didnt put me at mid . On our first match he asked everyones position n i said mid so he just put me there . Well we have 2 forwards william n sam, im faster than william n probably the same speed as sam n i reckon if me n sam upfront we could create great goal scoring opputrunites for the team but then Sam says he hates playing mid . So can anyone solve the problem ? N Also what should i say to the coach to let me play upfront ?[/quote]
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz »

Well, a few things will variably change your situation/.

1) The finishing ability of the players you mentioned and their stamina, passing and other techniques. You gotta compare yourself to them.

2) Usually, a team doesn't really need 2 fast strikers, one's usually the type to just finish anything and the other can run and gun.

3) Depending what level you play at, your coach might/might not let you play forward right away. At practice, you can show him that you have striker qualities, but you can always just ask for a chance to play forward. Don't blow it though.
tevezaholic
Veteran Member

Post by tevezaholic »

if i were u i would be striking or attacking midfield,but go for striker :D
Oh crap,missed me bus!!
MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Re: What position am i ?

Post by MSILancer7 »

ronaldoR7 wrote: -good at pulling off stepovers
-i got abit of speed which is wuite good
- n i got ok Vision on the field
\

I wouldthink that these qualities would make you a good withdrawn forward or a wing forward in a 4-3-3.
ronaldoR7

RE:What positon am i ?

Post by ronaldoR7 »

hmm thanks guys for answering
so i think its striker then
so what should i say to the coach ? "Coach i wanna play forward today "?
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Re: RE:What positon am i ?

Post by Soccer4Life »

ronaldoR7 wrote:hmm thanks guys for answering
I would say something more like "[Coaches name], I was wondering if I could have a chanec to play striker some because I think my skills might be suited to that position".

By the way, just because you're faster than another player doesn't mean you're a better striker. Like Kakasgotskillz said, most teams that play with 2 strikers have 1 fast and 1 more skilled but not insanely fast. It's very common and tactically works well. So, if speed is the main thing you've got going that you have some things to work out.
Carolan18

Re: RE:What positon am i ?

Post by Carolan18 »

ronaldoR7 wrote:hmm thanks guys for answering
I would ask to try the position in a scrimage; durring practice and if he thinks that you would be better suited at striker then go for it

But your skills are good for a midfielder as well, you say the reason you want to move to striker is becase you have bad stanima, that can be worked on, if you really want to be good at football you work with the skills you have and develop the skills that are lesser, yours is stanima, the easyest one to improve. Just go on a run 3-4 times a week, its that simple. Also Striker is the hardest Outfield position to move to. IMO. Its a very mental position, and you must always be in the right place at the right time, if you are not then you just cost your team a potential goal. Remember that ussaly the coach knows best and he put you at midfield for a reason, work on your endurance and I belive that you could be a top notch winger,Just work on it

Good luck
Credit to Xilog