school??

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
delone

i wanna be pro after i leave skool (i wouldent wanna do anyyhing but play soccer) but whats the use of skool? being a pro requires no education, am i wasting my education? (im in yr 10).

Boody

Look man alot of people want to go pro including me. But education is really important and you should focus on it and not football. Yes train and play but don't waste all your time playing because not all people who want to go pro will have success with it and if they never focused on education they will end up just stayin at home doing nothing.

I am in year 11.

And i Think most people will agree that education is more important than football.

Hope i helped

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Finish school, Year 10 at the very least so you can follow up a traineeship etc. Alot of people who want to become pro slacken off when they see the amount of work required, if you have the drive you'll go places, if not you'll more-than-likely end up flopping and having nowhere to go without an education.

Reitterating (spelling?) what Boody said, education should come first even if you're in an intense/pro league for football already. I'm facing the end of my career at the age of 16 because my knees are turning to mush and my body's struggling to cope with the amount of strain that it requires to become a professional footballer (training day in, day out more often than not fur mir), I'm glad I'm finishing Year 12 and completing my HSC (Higher School Certificate, final exams b4 you finish school etc) so I have something to fall back on in case my body karks it before I hit it big-time. :wink:

What's the use of school is a silly question if you're not completely ignorant mate. It forms the basis of all your educational knowledge. Kids striving for the big time who're already in the youth academies etc are still required to attend classes 2 hours a day or so I believe, so school is still considered important to pros as well.

Schooling is alot more than academics, it provides the basis for all means of social and sporting communication and participation. Don't brush it off, if your body karks it or you simply don't make it big-time you're going to want to have something to fall back on.

Heed my advice, I still have dreams to go pro but my body is falling apart so I'm finishing my education so I can push myself into the media industry when I grow older if football doesn't all go well for myself. It's good to see that you have the passion, keep pushing yourself and train as much as possible. You must make the dream a reality, it won't do it for you. Try out for a high-grade or high-level team and see how you go from there mate.

EDIT: Would it be appropriate to say that you should be considered by yourself and others as a "student-athlete" and not an "athlete-student"?

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

School isn't important?

What happens if you get a serious injury and don't go pro. What do you have to fall back on? Nothing.

Stay in school or do some appretince training, something so if you don't make it or get injured you have something to do.

I'm not trying to bring you down but nothing in life is guaranteed. Your not guaranteed to become a pro footballler, and even if you do you need to think of long term. You won't be playing forever so its good to have something to fall back on. (Don't say "I'll have tons of money, I won't need to work")

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Believe me don't skip school.You are not sure that you will turn pro.You're 14 now and there are a lot of people who doesn't take soccer anymore seriously at the age of 16/17 because they discover other things that are important in life.

powell
English Meister

Well i do know that wayne rooney come out of school with no grades (failed them all). But think if he didnt have football then he'd be sat at home being a bum.

I never liked school and just tried to get through the day doing my work hard and then afterwards i've got the whole day to do football. I think of education as a fall back for me. I know that if i dont make it pro i have good grades from a backup plan sort of thing so yeh i wouldnt even think about leaving school.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Yeah mates, you should'nt think about leaving school to play football. You might not like it, but you should try to go as far as you can.

Im very serious about school. Not because I want to have a good job and work as a successful paid person, but I want to beat everyone and come out top of the year. And also because I like school. I plan on becoming a pro, but I still want to do well in my hsc.
Sig by me

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

delone especially in your case stay in school theres virtually no chance you'll be a pro by the sound of some of your posts and questions its just deluded

the only reasons people should leave school early are either, they have nothing else to gain from school academic wise or if you have a plan and things lined up a job, or for football realistic options or chances ie playing in an academy or somthing

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:delone especially in your case stay in school theres virtually no chance you'll be a pro by the sound of some of your posts and questions its just deluded
That's not nice. He's trying. Plus he generally asks a different question every time.

Anyways, if you feel that you're on the right track of being pro, go for it, but maintain your studies at a college/university because you can get on their school teams and that can bring you alot farther than you already are.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Scottyboy, he has every chance of turning pro. Its really harsh to say something like that.
Sig by me

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Not only should you stay in school, you have to because its illegal. No offence delone but although you may well become pro, its more than likely that you wont, and i reckon if you dont get a decent education youll look back on life(if you dont make it pro of course) and youll say to yourself "i wish id studied harder and i wouldnt be sweeping up roads right now". Think about it.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

I just turned 17 this year and I'm going to an university next year but still I'm trying to go pro or at least some decent team.

Juve

ye i plan on getting a degree in university then ill leave home and go different countries till i find a team

unknown

"men make plans and god laughs"
for all the athiests, etc.
"men make plans and I laugh"

OJ9

Unless you are a fantastic player who already plays for a 'proper' club (like a professional or at least semi pro) then i'm sorry, you won't become a pro.

STAY IN SCHOOL!