Tell us about your last match!

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
MUFC1994
Veteran Member

sir_alex_vu wrote:Our last match ended in a 0-4 loss. But the scoreline did not reflect the actual team performance. Yes, we did not play as well as we would have liked, but we are improving as a team, slowly but surely.

It didn't help that they were all above six feet tall and we didn't have a player that reached 5' 10". So, I guess it's not really our fault that we let in 3 goals that were headers? The fourth goal was a goalkeeping blunder by our fourth string keeper.

Personal performance: I was pretty quiet, not doing much, but not hurting my team in any way.
Try to get onto the ball more, even if your losing it, at least try to be involved in the game. Cuz it seems to me like you were scared and just taking up space on the field......Try to play without fear, especially when you are losing badly, because what do you have to lose?
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

sir_alex_vu

MUFC1994 wrote:
sir_alex_vu wrote:Our last match ended in a 0-4 loss. But the scoreline did not reflect the actual team performance. Yes, we did not play as well as we would have liked, but we are improving as a team, slowly but surely.

It didn't help that they were all above six feet tall and we didn't have a player that reached 5' 10". So, I guess it's not really our fault that we let in 3 goals that were headers? The fourth goal was a goalkeeping blunder by our fourth string keeper.

Personal performance: I was pretty quiet, not doing much, but not hurting my team in any way.
Try to get onto the ball more, even if your losing it, at least try to be involved in the game. Cuz it seems to me like you were scared and just taking up space on the field......Try to play without fear, especially when you are losing badly, because what do you have to lose?

Thanks for the great advice. Yeah, seriously, I admit that I do play scared, because during training, I control the team, but in matches, the game bypasses me.

I think it's because I'm scared of losing the ball so much. Everytime I receive the ball in the game, I really concentrate on controlling it because I'm afraid that I will lose it but then I take too long on the ball and get it stolen. But, my control is actually very good, but for some reason in the game, I lose all of my technical ability.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

sir_alex_vu wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:

Thanks for the great advice. Yeah, seriously, I admit that I do play scared, because during training, I control the team, but in matches, the game bypasses me.

I think it's because I'm scared of losing the ball so much. Everytime I receive the ball in the game, I really concentrate on controlling it because I'm afraid that I will lose it but then I take too long on the ball and get it stolen. But, my control is actually very good, but for some reason in the game, I lose all of my technical ability.
Try to just relax before a game, joke around, and remember to have fun. Too many people (myslef included) get caught up in trying to focus and putting to much pressure of themselves....you just set yourself up for failure imo.

Try to do a lot of individual training with the ball, as well as mental training: imagery and positive thing, and also try to listen to some music on the way to a game, that always gets me ready to play while settling my nerves.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

sir_alex_vu

MUFC1994 wrote:
sir_alex_vu wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote: Try to get onto the ball more, even if your losing it, at least try to be involved in the game. Cuz it seems to me like you were scared and just taking up space on the field......Try to play without fear, especially when you are losing badly, because what do you have to lose?

Try to just relax before a game, joke around, and remember to have fun. Too many people (myslef included) get caught up in trying to focus and putting to much pressure of themselves....you just set yourself up for failure imo.

Try to do a lot of individual training with the ball, as well as mental training: imagery and positive thing, and also try to listen to some music on the way to a game, that always gets me ready to play while settling my nerves.

It's such simple advice, yet it's always overlooked:

"If you're not enjoying yourself on the field, why play at all?" (or something along the lines of that)

I've definately gotta remember this for my next match. It's all about having fun, playing footy with your mates. Sometimes it can so stuffy in the pre-game warmups, just gotta loosen up and remember that we're playing a game we all love, so just got to enjoy every minute of it. :D

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

sir_alex_vu wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:
sir_alex_vu wrote:

It's such simple advice, yet it's always overlooked:

"If you're not enjoying yourself on the field, why play at all?" (or something along the lines of that)

I've definately gotta remember this for my next match. It's all about having fun, playing footy with your mates. Sometimes it can so stuffy in the pre-game warmups, just gotta loosen up and remember that we're playing a game we all love, so just got to enjoy every minute of it. :D
My confidence was low a few years back, and I just played in recreational pick up 5v5 games. It really helped my confidence becuase I was the best one there and it was all about fun. When I went back to club, it was like I was a new player.

DR17

Last game we lost 5-3 against a weaker team but we were 1 man down i played central mid and had 3 post :x I don't know if it happens to you but when you know you're dominating the play , not your team but you. Ex: every time you have the ball something happens and i was really confident i took shots and tried moves and they all worked but i was unlucky. Oh and the referee called a goal back from me. The keeper stopped the ball 25 cm into the net and the referee didn't see , shame, parents did !

mint
EF Drug Baron

Last game i played was a pick up game on monday, havent played a match in like a year so obviously didn't play all that good, did some good passes to set up attacks though.

Got another game monday will tell you how it goes.
i was made to ignite

espana_27

last game we ended up losing to a team we shouldve beat but we were missing our rock in the defense. regardless of the teams play, i feel that i played well individually. i scored a nice goal and contributed to two of the goals my team scored. i saw results in working on my first touch and anticipation/movement which was good. ive been watching players like rooney and torres a lot lately and dissecting the way they move and trying to emulate this. im getting the ball in the places i want, better positions with a higher possibility that i'll get to goal. ive seen results because ive been scoring a lot more lately and i'm really pleased with myself

Met

Where to start, I scored the first goal of the match from 20 yards out. I passed it around keeper. The other team scored 2 goals. I help smuggle in our second goal by holding onto the keeper in a sneaky way soo he couldn't use his hands to get to the ball, but they scored the next 7, yes you got it right, the next 7. All of their 9 goals were badly conceded. 90% our fault, 10% their luck. I'm right mid by the way. I was probably the most threatening person on the pitch. Our two forwards missed 2 one on ones. (1 each). After 70ish mins. I need to change teams.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

First game of the season today!

Was expecting to get hammered, as our team has been organised pretty shoddily tbh - first practice was on Wednesday, no coach, the club is basically NOT helping whatsoever and we were playing the team that came second in the Division last season.

However...

Came away with a 5-1 win. Scored all 5. Well happy now :D
Given what I listed before, we played pretty well - definite areas to improve on, but an excellent result to start off the season.

Personally, I think I played fairly well - started off slowly, but as I grew in confidence I really upped my play. It probably helped that I managed to out-run the opposition defence pretty much everytime - I don't wanna sound like I'm boasting, but I'm just real stoked about it :D:D:D
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

Cesc4
Sophomore Member

It was last friday and it was a cup semi final game.We Won 2-0, in fairness it should have been 10-0...no over reacting. i got an assist played 60 mins as a second striker (i love that position now). Then i went in goal for the injured keeper! it was a nice cagey first 20mins then everything opened up!...Can't wait until the Final!!

Rummandinho

We won a blazing 5-0 against ex 33Z players :D Hattrick by our striker, one from our CAM and one from our CB in a set piece.

Matchdays at fridays ^^

Rozzy
New User

We were missing few of our strongest players and only had 1 sub. To make matters worse, our left back picked up 2 yellows in 15 minutes and got himself sent off. Ten againt eleven for 75 minutes in a a competitive over-30 league.

Surprise. We played smart and won a gritty 1-0 victory. The GK and CB were men of the match. I played all but 15 minutes at Defensive Mid and played better than in game 1. The team did a nice job with possession once we settled down. I'm starting to get used to playing again. Still not in proper condition, butit's improving.

Game 4 is against the league's top team. It should be interesting.

bom1221

my last match was pretty interesting actually but not in such a good way hehe :roll: our game was supposed to start at 12:00 so i did my pregame set-up. woke up about 3 hours before 11:00, ate showered and hydrated. i get there for 11:00, an hour before the match was supposed to start and waited for my team to show up. when around 10 guys came we started our warm up and passing drills and within another 5 minutes the rest of our team was there also. so soon enough it was already 11:40 and there were only 3 kids from the other team at our field. since they were from queens we thought it might b traffic or something, no big deal right? if they were ten more minutes late we could forgive them..... 30 minutes later still no team. 15 minutes after game time and we were out in the hot sun doing drills. when we got into shooting drills, one of my balls went over the net and i ran to go get it which was on a hill. as i ran parallel to the hill guess what i stepped in? A FRICKIN HOLE. it happened so fast i didnt even know what was goin on, and i twisted my ankle. who digs a hole in the middle of a hill??!? :evil: the only semi-good thing that happened was that the team didnt show up until AN HOUR AND 10 MINUTES after game time which gave my ankle some rest. (funny side note, except for the 3 kids already at the field, the whole team came in one van that could probably only seat 10 kids plus a driver but had around 15 kids in it, that all happened to jump out at the same time.) so the other team takes like 7 minutes to set up and we finally get a game goin. heres the ironic part though. THEY WERE REALLY REALLY GOOD. and a kid nicknamed 'messi' just happened to be the kid i had to defend against. they scored the first goal, and by halftime it was 1-0. because we were short on time after they showed up so late we had only 35 minute halves and a 1 MINUTE halftime. halftime ends, we switch sides and soon after we tie the score. then we pull ahead 2-1 and 2 minutes before the end of the game ref decides to give them a penalty for some BS call so the final score was 2-2 :? sorry if this was too long but thats pretty much how my sturday went.

JR
Sophomore Member

My last game was actually the last match of a 10 year spell at Hayling St. Andrews Youth FC (Playing from the age of 6-16).

Overall I felt we had a successful year achieving a 4th place finish in the PYFL A League, we got to the Semi-Finals of the Portsmouth Cup and Quarter Finals of the Hampshire Cup.

To the last ever match for Hayling St. Andrews though... (I've just noticed this topic, this match was played a good month ago though) it was really a kinda pointless match, they had already won the league, we couldn't go up a place in the league or down a place. Anyhow, they won 6-2! This is a the team that won the Portsmouth Cup in doing so knocked us out extra time; Semi-Finals; unbeaten 3 years in the league... It was pretty much a crap game from all of us, to be honest no one was motivated and I was just focused on trying some tricks I learnt with my mate the week before! :D

That was it, lol... bit long but yeah nevermind.