How far could I go?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
ZZizou
Veteran Member

How far could I go?

Post by ZZizou » 06 Jan 2008, 00:10

My main goal is to play within 18 months for a 2nd/3rd division youth team here in Belgium.(Now I'm almost 17 and I will be 18 then).But I want to train very hard this 6 months so I could move on to a better team next year so step by step.My main qualities are I have a good technique,I'm pretty fast,I have a good passing,shot is not bad but can be better.My heading is bad but it is better than before.My confidence is also low.

It's my first season as a forward my stats are 10 goals and 6 assists in 9 matches(as a forward),not good enough I think.

So I wanted to ask you guys some tips because I have sometimes problems with positioning for example we play with 2 strikers should I stay as much as possible on my side or also try to move to the right side.So,give me some tips I could use them because that is what is troubling me the most.

During team practice I'm often the best of my team even if I play with older guys and when I play a match I doesn't feel comfortable anymore,I've proven that I could play very well and that I have the best dribbles of my team during practice.

Thanks for the ones who want to help me :wink:

Flyingmoose
Veteran Member

Post by Flyingmoose » 06 Jan 2008, 00:18

confidence is a tricky subject and my dad's a psychologist so I've had the upper hand on this part of the game. Just relax.. In the game you should give yourself no expectations just play and have a great time. If you ever feel overwhelmed take a deep breath and surevey the field and always have a plan.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 06 Jan 2008, 00:55

Flyingmoose wrote:confidence is a tricky subject and my dad's a psychologist so I've had the upper hand on this part of the game. Just relax.. In the game you should give yourself no expectations just play and have a great time. If you ever feel overwhelmed take a deep breath and surevey the field and always have a plan.
Yes but the most frustrating part is that you know that you could do alot better,the only things I will do now is trying to be better and see if the confidence will come.

Icy
Veteran Member

Post by Icy » 06 Jan 2008, 01:14

If you're asking other people how far you can go chances are you can't go very far. The biggest thing is believeing in yourself. I gaurentee anyone that if they want to do something they can if they honestly think they can and are willing to work as hard (and intelligently) as they can.

There are people in certain sports that didn't take up the sport until in their 20's! Granted it's not necessarily soccer but if it happens in other sports where people are just as dedicated why not in soccer? The key is to believe 100% in what your doing.

Never doubt yourself. When your training you can never say "I can't", you will do it. You can never say I don't want to do this today, by tomorrow you are one step behind everyone else. There is no "I don't feel like it today" in an athlete that truely wants something. If you love your sport you'll always want to be playing it. You should have to make yourself stop practicing\playing, not make yourself practice\play.

I didn't start playing soccer (I played other sports) until last year. Honestly I 100% believe that I can play professionally if I truely want it. I don't necessarily mean the EPL or La Liga either, it may be the lowest level of professionals but I know I can do it. Whether I truely want it will be determined by getting up in the morning to do my conditioning, and practicing skills in the afternoon while my friends are having fun. This doesn't mean I can't have a life but my training needs to be my number 1 priority.

Are you willing to truely push yourself phyiscally and mentally atleast 5 days a week? Can you follow a strict curfew for when you go to sleep? This may mean missing out on parties! It all comes down to you and whether you want it. If you want it you will practice, you will not need to make yourself practice.
Last edited by Icy on 06 Jan 2008, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

Flyingmoose
Veteran Member

Post by Flyingmoose » 06 Jan 2008, 01:24

Icy wrote:If you're asking other people how far you can go chances are you can't go very far. The biggest thing is believeing in yourself. I gaurentee anyone that if they want to do something they can if they honestly think they can and are willing to work as hard (and intelligently) as they can.

There are people in certain sports that didn't take up the sport until in their 20's! Granted it's not necessarily soccer but if it happens in other sports where people are just as dedicated why not in soccer? The key is to believe 100% in what your doing.

Never doubt yourself. When your training you can never say "I can't", you will do it. You can never say I don't want to do this today, by tomorrow you are one step behind everyone else. There is no "I don't feel like it today" in an athlete that truely wants something. If you love your sport you'll always want to be playing it. You should have to make yourself stop practicing\player, not make yourself practice\play.

I didn't start playing soccer (I played other sports) until last year. Honestly I 100% believe that I can play professionally if I truely want it. I don't necessarily mean the EPL or La Liga either, it may be the lowest level of professionals but I know I can do it. Whether I truely want it will be determined by getting up in the morning to do my conditioning, and practicing skills in the afternoon while my friends are having fun. This doesn't mean I can't have a life but my training needs to be my number 1 priority.

Are you willing to truely push yourself phyiscally and mentally atleast 5 days a week? Can you follow a strict curfew for when you go to sleep? This may mean missing out on parties! It all comes down to you and whether you want it. If you want it you will practice, you will not need to make yourself practice.
beautiful

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 06 Jan 2008, 11:06

Thanks for the post Icy.Last months I went to the gym 3times a week,ran if I could 2 times a week,I had soccer practice 2 times a week and 1 game and I played also soccer alone sometimes.I went from 61kg(half-september) to 68kg now.My dribbling is even better than before,when we play 1vs1-games during soccer practise I always win.
But when it's a real game I'm not even at 50% of what I could do and that's frustrating but I want to work on this because I believe confidence will come itself.
This 6 months I will work even harder than before.

2nd part of my post:Could someone give me some tips(tactical,positioning) for a forward?

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 07 Jan 2008, 03:04

ZZizou wrote:2nd part of my post:Could someone give me some tips(tactical,positioning) for a forward?
forwards need to get in a good position to score. a good quality is to be able to out menouver defenders in order to get themselves into a goal scoring position. so look for ways in which you can run into space and get the ball into a good position without being offside or intercepted by defenders. i only play forward sometimes and i dont like it coz i prefer the wing, but yeah thats my advice. u should watch pro games on tv sometimes and watch how forwards get into the right place at the right time.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 08 Jan 2008, 22:21

I was thinking about my games today and I realised that if I played more free I'm good when it comes to games in little space because I have no specific position then and run more to ask the ball.We play with 2 forwards so could someone give me some tips where to run (I like to dribble and give good passes).Please it's important for me because saterday I have a game against big team and I want realy to prove myself.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 08 Jan 2008, 22:31

It's such a case by case thing. My suggestion to you is to try to make more OTB runs, which will open up your space. Call for the ball to be put into the space you are headed for, rather then to you.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 08 Jan 2008, 22:45

ok listen up because this is gold :wink:

alot of forwards make the mistake on thinking too much about getting in postitions where they can see a route to goal. But, you have to yourself in the passers shoes (your teammates) theres no point in getting into a great position where the only way your teammate can get the ball to you is by literally hiitting it through the defender. You have to get into a position where the passer has a clear angle to slip the ball through. Think about that for starters :)

secondly - Timing of your runs are key. (i cant be bothered making it big and underlined but pretend it is. Its THAT important :wink: )
try to "drop off" more if your role allows about 10-15 yards or there abouts. This means when you shout for the ball and start your run, its played thrrough by the time you run past the defender 1. You will be running at about a full sprint and 2. the defender will more than likely have his back still turned to goal so realistically you shouldnt get caught if youve timed it right.
Another effective run is "running the line" this is very effective. Basically you position yourself further out wide in line with the oppositions defencive line. Also try to position yourself on the side opposite to the side where play is (the ball) this means when you start to run across there defenders they will see you as less of a threat because your further away from the ball. Also this means they are less likely to "track your run. The idea is the same. Time your run so that you are at full pace when the ball is played through one of the three gaps ( these are between the right back and right centre back, the two centre backs and the left centre back and left back) when you "peel off" again you will be at full pace and the defenders will be caught flat footed

hope this helps you because if it doesnt ive wasted a portion of my life :shock:

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 10 Jan 2008, 18:53

GRAb the game by the horns, it works in every aspect of your life, if you act for 5 minutes that you have confidence, the other 85 minutes it will be very easy to have confidence, have you ever been at a party and right when you get there you behave outgoing, guess wat the rest of the pary you are behaving outgoing, same in football and in everything else, you could also pump yourself up with music or juggle the ball before the game, remember to play it simple always this will get you in confidence quick too, also talk to your teammates and tell them this problem, tell them to congratulate you twhen you do something good, this will help you...........

SO many ways, football american players they just start yelling sh*t and their pumped man, just yell lets go guysss come on lets go... feel confdident and you will be confident, also visualize yourself with confidence, pray if your religious!!

mannnnn it easy, say it to yourself i can do this, i got the hard part down (playing good) now lets get the easy one down so you can be numba one!!!!!

LUCKKKK

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 10 Jan 2008, 19:08

Well your problem is very much similar to mine one but i have less time than you.
1) You have stated that u scored 10 goals and assisted 6 times in a season,that's impressive,your goal average is more than 1,what else u need as a striker.
2)About confidence, i would recommend u to get a good sleep before the match day (at least for 8 hours) and don't think too much about the match on that night.Also try to be relaxed as much as possible

Cheers and try to achieve more better stats than this :D :D :D :D :D

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 10 Jan 2008, 20:50

Thanks guys for your posts,I will try somethings and see if it works.
So I will go for a hattrick Saterday even if it's again a very good team.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 10 Jan 2008, 21:46

ZZizou wrote:Thanks guys for your posts,I will try somethings and see if it works.
Not the right attitude.

You should say to yourself that you are going to kick ass Saturday... don't set unrealistic goals, unless you truly believe that you could score a hat trick. The trick is to always set goals that push yourself a little bit past your comfort zone. That way if you keep setting them, you will increase in confidence, as well as a continual increase of skills.

ZZizou
Veteran Member

Post by ZZizou » 12 Jan 2008, 19:24

iwannagopro wrote:
ZZizou wrote:Thanks guys for your posts,I will try somethings and see if it works.
Not the right attitude.

You should say to yourself that you are going to kick ass Saturday... don't set unrealistic goals, unless you truly believe that you could score a hat trick. The trick is to always set goals that push yourself a little bit past your comfort zone. That way if you keep setting them, you will increase in confidence, as well as a continual increase of skills.
The problem is when it comes to training games I'm the best but when it's in a real game I don't play as well because playing physical isn't how I play even if I can.