What is the life in an academy like?

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
panchester07
Veteran Member

For those of you that are part of an academy team, how is it like to live full time in an academy? Whats the feeling like? Does it get old? Would you rather have a normal school life, or is it just like a normal school life? Do you get "touched" by those who aspire to be on the team but get cut off?? Is it your dream come true?

terminator

Yeah I would really like to know as well.It seems like no one has been to an academy here...

Then again, if somebody was in an academy...they wouldn't need to come to a site like EF

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

It all depends on age level. If your under 16 you train a few days a week, still live at home and go to your regular school. Once you turn 16 the good prospects sign "scholarship terms". Many when then live together in a house with a den mother, go to training, and go to the local college to get a certificate in something like physiotherapy.

This is from what I've heard the young Arsenal players say. Theo Walcott said he stayed in a house with a den mother. A couple others talked about how hard it was balancing school work, going to school, and training. They said they miss their friends but don't hang out as much as they used to because of how busy they are and because they want to succeed in football.

Even if your in an academy it doesn't mean you'll sign a pro contract. They can't take everybody. I saw a story about a kid who played in Bolton's academy for years. When he turned 18 he was let go despite being named the "youth player of the season" the year before.

Steve Zakuani played in Arsenal's academy but was released. He now plays for Seattle in MLS.

Scotty has been with Rangers for a while.

panchester07
Veteran Member

the good thing about getting moved to academy is that it 100% depends on you if you wanna go pro. ill explain..

i went to this academy called IMG bolletieri (its a multisport academy it has all the sports there), its not like a pro academy, but it has 7 bermuda fields, a world class gym (where NFL and NBA players workout, Maria sharapova does too) , pool, a mental coaching program called Game on, probably everything.. It just so happens that the us U-17 MNT practice here in this academys instalations..

The academy has a school, called pendleton, whwere you go 4 hours a day and you do homework in school so after 12 you are done with school, and if youre not theres a study hall at night.. Its a super easy school, and it has too, because a lot of foreigners that come to this academy, cant understand half the things teachers say.. The schools level is low.

If you dont wanna go to pendleton, you can go to 4 private schools around that are no more than 10 minutes away, that have agreed to offer an educational program that fits the academys schedulel...

Either way at 12 you are done, with good or bad education, you eat at 12, and relax until 230, at 230, yoou go to the fields, and practice 2 hours. I swear the training drills are high class, better than my actual team right now that is a "pro" team. You improve quickly, here, I have seen dummies that leave with college scholarships.

At 430, you eat again, and then like at 5 or so the players go to the gym, they get trained by profesionals depending on their program. Until like 7.30, then they go study hall, for an hour or two and then to their dorms.

I would wake up at 7.00 and go to the cafeteria (all nice food nutritional food) and the USA U-17 would walk in all sweaty as heck, and it looked like they had been training like atleasst for an hour, so their schedule is more intense. I remember U-20 player Brek Shea... On weekends we would go to a turf field and all have a pickup game, it was sweet playing with the U-17, and i swear brek shea is not that good.

I stayed 10 weeks, it was real sweet.

Even though this is an american academy, and its not even pro, I can get the idea of what a pro academy is like, obviously much more intense, but something like it..

on weekends they would go to tournaments, 3 days long, all year, sometimes they would leave the whole week. They played In the Disney tournament, and The Dallas Cup, they went to play in Italy, somee to brazil, so they play a lot of games. you feel like a pro.

Oh, the Mens U-17 of USA scrimmaged, the ImG academies full timers and won 6-0
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I know about IMG. When I posted I meant academies in terms of England. IMG is for the u17 mens national team. Other people can go there full time but its hard to get in and very expensive. Its the closest thing the USA has to european academies. MLS is starting to have "academy" teams but its nothing like Europe. No housing or schooling is provided for example.

Brek had a bad u20 WC. He should play in defense. A lot of the current u20s are struggling to find a team. Some of them will probably stay in MLS. I'm not saying they will never go to Europe but from what I saw at teh WC, they aren't ready.

panchester07
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:I know about IMG. When I posted I meant academies in terms of England. IMG is for the u17 mens national team. Other people can go there full time but its hard to get in and very expensive. Its the closest thing the USA has to european academies. MLS is starting to have "academy" teams but its nothing like Europe. No housing or schooling is provided for example.

Brek had a bad u20 WC. He should play in defense. A lot of the current u20s are struggling to find a team. Some of them will probably stay in MLS. I'm not saying they will never go to Europe but from what I saw at teh WC, they aren't ready.

I tried to go full time two years in a row,. The Soccer program costs 37,000 $, and the school is another 15,000 (cause they are all private. That adds up to 52,000 (the school year). Like you said the price is ridiculous. But while people insist that they dont give financial aid the first year this is a lie. I want to summer camps on 2007, they said they could finance me 50% the soccer program and 50 % of the school. So I had to pay 26.000 a year. While i Begged to my parents, they just said they couldnt aford it. Some of the people that went to IMG with me that summer got similar offers and stayed full time. I made friends with the fulltimers and started asking, and everybody told me that usually they dont give scholarships, but if your very good, or have some type of contact you could go. I went again, hoping for a better offer (having in mind that if my level is outstanding they might give me an even better plan). They did give me a btter offer, they even called my mom and stuff, they promised me to get me ripped, and my mom said, well i can send him the second semester but no the two of them. It never happened :( .

Some people just dont have the money, and cant go. But some people have the money and this is where I disagree with you arsenal, if you have the money you can get in today. Its not hard, i saw the recruiter telling all these begginers that they have talent to come play in IMG full time and they were sucky .. What hurts the most is that they believe him, pay the money, and in college have to pay another sh**load, because there soccer isnt that good

Brek is good your right he should have played in the defense, i think he plays in houston dynamo though im not sure..

but believe me he wasnt the best there, there wher other dudes that played some football i never seen before insane!!!!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:I know about IMG. When I posted I meant academies in terms of England. IMG is for the u17 mens national team. Other people can go there full time but its hard to get in and very expensive. Its the closest thing the USA has to european academies. MLS is starting to have "academy" teams but its nothing like Europe. No housing or schooling is provided for example.

I tried to go full time two years in a row,. The Soccer program costs 37,000 $, and the school is another 15,000 (cause they are all private. That adds up to 52,000 (the school year). Like you said the price is ridiculous. But while people insist that they dont give financial aid the first year this is a lie. I want to summer camps on 2007, they said they could finance me 50% the soccer program and 50 % of the school. So I had to pay 26.000 a year. While i Begged to my parents, they just said they couldnt aford it. Some of the people that went to IMG with me that summer got similar offers and stayed full time. I made friends with the fulltimers and started asking, and everybody told me that usually they dont give scholarships, but if your very good, or have some type of contact you could go. I went again, hoping for a better offer (having in mind that if my level is outstanding they might give me an even better plan). They did give me a btter offer, they even called my mom and stuff, they promised me to get me ripped, and my mom said, well i can send him the second semester but no the two of them. It never happened :( .

Some people just dont have the money, and cant go. But some people have the money and this is where I disagree with you arsenal, if you have the money you can get in today. Its not hard, i saw the recruiter telling all these begginers that they have talent to come play in IMG full time and they were sucky .. What hurts the most is that they believe him, pay the money, and in college have to pay another sh**load, because there soccer isnt that good

Brek is good your right he should have played in the defense, i think he plays in houston dynamo though im not sure..

but believe me he wasnt the best there, there wher other dudes that played some football i never seen before insane!!!!
Thats the problem, its all about the money. Thats a ridiculous amount to pay especially when college is going to be at least that much, probably even more.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:

Ya panchester....sorry to say this, but nobody in America actually cares about developing a footballer, its all about money for these coaches and programs. (with a few exceptions)
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

MUFC1994 wrote:
panchester07 wrote:

Ya panchester....sorry to say this, but nobody in America actually cares about developing a footballer, its all about money for these coaches and programs. (with a few exceptions)
This is what I hate about the American system. Its all about the money.

IMG isn't hard to get into, from what I've learned. If you pay you can get in.

Pay to play is just ridiculous.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Ya, most travel clubs when they hold tryouts will take everyone, and form two teams even though they know the second team will suck. This happened to my friend 2 years ago. They take as many people as possible regaurdless of skill. In the US if you show up to tryouts you make it.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

panchester07
Veteran Member

but im not gonna lie, Ive been around and i consider myself a pretty good player, and in 2007 when i played with the fulltimers at the end of their school year, i was the shittiest one of them.. so img has a prety good level of play, they practice all year round, 2 hours of ball work, and 2 more of tactics, gym, and mental conditioning.. they gotta be good players.. i have improved a lot since that day, but still they were good

The Director, his name is Tom Durkin, he is reallly unsensitive. If you dont give 100% in training he will yell at you, make you run, humiliate you , he doesnt care who you are, he wwill make you give all you have.. i really think IMG is the exception for the rule.. The coaching staff is awesome..

one of them had to train me on his birthday and im like damn that sucks, hes like what do you mean that sucks? Its my job, i love it .. he was italian..

a brazilian loved to train me too, he started narrating and comentating (like on ESPN) when iwas doing the drills and he didnt stop singing..

an american one would get red as fu** and yell at me (and he loved me) if i didnt give it my all..

I swear, they didnt really do it for the money, i know the world isnt all roses, but this place is world class !!!

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:but im not gonna lie, Ive been around and i consider myself a pretty good player, and in 2007 when i played with the fulltimers at the end of their school year, i was the shittiest one of them.. so img has a prety good level of play, they practice all year round, 2 hours of ball work, and 2 more of tactics, gym, and mental conditioning.. they gotta be good players.. i have improved a lot since that day, but still they were good

The Director, his name is Tom Durkin, he is reallly unsensitive. If you dont give 100% in training he will yell at you, make you run, humiliate you , he doesnt care who you are, he wwill make you give all you have.. i really think IMG is the exception for the rule.. The coaching staff is awesome..

one of them had to train me on his birthday and im like damn that sucks, hes like what do you mean that sucks? Its my job, i love it .. he was italian..

a brazilian loved to train me too, he started narrating and comentating (like on ESPN) when iwas doing the drills and he didnt stop singing..

an american one would get red as fu** and yell at me (and he loved me) if i didnt give it my all..

I swear, they didnt really do it for the money, i know the world isnt all roses, but this place is world class !!!
Yes, but they are probably payed better than the average coach, and anyone can do the resident program as long as you have the $$$$

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Basically playing full time is sweet. You cant beat it. But in my opinion paying around the $50.000 dollar mark to go "full time" is just out of hand and these companies sould be fined

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

panchester07
Veteran Member

scottyboyyyy :D :D :D :D !!

I MADE THIS QUESTION 2 YEARS AGO FOR YOU TO ANSWER PRICK..

poor girlfriend..

anyways dont you wanna give more of a description like a schedule, what you eat, what you do on snowy days, what do you do when wwhen your not training etc.. or if you dont wanna give more details its fine to :D

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Of course the kids at IMG are going to be good, their in a controlled, 24/7 football environment. They only go to school a few hours a day which leaves more time to focus on aspects of the game.

A regular kid who has 7 hours of school, practices, games during the week, and possibly a job is going to have to work that much harder to improve. Something is going to have to give (social life, sleep, etc). I know some kids who are dedicated but its def. not for everyone. What makes me sad is seeing the really talented players going out and getting wasted when they truly could play at the next level (college, possibly even beyond).

I think a lot of kids in America who are good at soccer usually quit before high school to do football or basketball. They see those sports as a way out and possibly an avenue to go pro, not soccer.