Advice on becoming a pro

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Nicky.D
New User

Advice on becoming a pro

Post by Nicky.D » 13 Jun 2005, 02:12

I am 13 and I want to become a pro. I am a Striker. I am really small for my age and not that strong.
But my question is how many goals should a striker score at this age if they want to become pro or get scouted?
Ohhhhh Liverpool we love you

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 13 Jun 2005, 05:24

Kid, it all depends on how good is Ur team. The most important thing is how U score Ur goals. If U keep on missing clear-cut chances, then U should think about practising more on finishing. If U dun score often cos Ur team isn't providing U enough, it's ok. Being a striker is all about poaching. U convert the chances when it comes.

U are only 13 and don't worry about Ur height cos U'll grow until the age of 18-21. If by then U still haven't seen improvement, U should be worried. But save it for the coming 5 more years, alright?

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 13 Jun 2005, 12:51

How to become a pro?

Well I'm not THAT much older than you so it may sound like i'm not qualified to give you advice, but I did ask that same question 2 years ago to two pro players and this is what they said. (4 words):

Practice, pratice AND practice.

How many goals should you score? Well obviously to get scouted you should score a bunch, it also depends on the competition level that your team plays in. But goals is not the only thing scouts look for. it's all about your overall game, and of course goals will be part and parcel of your game if your role is a goalscoring stirker.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 13 Jun 2005, 12:56

frizzyan wrote:it's all about your overall game, and of course goals will be part and parcel of your game if your role is a goalscoring stirker.
Absolutely, absolutely.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 15 Jun 2005, 00:54

some strikers score goals, others create them. goals aren't the only part of a football match. if you keep doing the basic things right and improving, you WILL get noticed.
Hala Galacticos

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 15 Jun 2005, 01:08

I think that you are setting your goals too high for right now. Your main goal right now should be to become an impact player on your current team.

expert
Site Admin

Re: Advice on becoming a pro

Post by expert » 15 Jun 2005, 01:25

Nicky.D wrote:I am 13 and I want to become a pro. I am a Striker. I am really small for my age and not that strong.
In the modern game, they are virtually no small and weak forwards. Defenders are getting stronger and quicker so you need power to hold your ground (especially inside the box).
Nicky.D wrote:But my question is how many goals should a striker score at this age if they want to become pro or get scouted?
Scoring goals will not determine if you'll turn pro. The most important thing is making as few mistakes as possible. Never lose possession of the ball, unless you're trying to score (at least 2/3 of the chances you get, should go in). Never back down from 50/50 battles.

sOcCeRKiD11

Post by sOcCeRKiD11 » 16 Jun 2005, 00:00

I am 13 and I want to become a pro. I am a Striker. I am really small for my age and not that strong.
damn this mus suxs cuz im short and im a forward lol im like the shortest player on the team

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 16 Jun 2005, 01:52

but once you practise, practise. practise, how do you get scouted to play pro espectially here in Canada there's not many opportunity's to get looked at by club teams. I love and live for footaball and believe I will turn pro one day but I dont know how

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 21 Jun 2005, 07:49

but once you practise, practise. practise, how do you get scouted to play pro espectially here in Canada there's not many opportunity's to get looked at by club teams. I love and live for footaball and believe I will turn pro one day but I dont know how

Ah but the thing is, maybe playing in countries that are not so developed might be an advantage. The standard in becoming scouted must be lower, and it gives you more chance to improve your skills (although your level of competition may remain at a constant). However, if you were playing in let's say England or France, then the chances of getting scouted are far too slim because football is way developed over there.

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 21 Jul 2005, 05:47

ive been playing soccer since i was 5 n iam 14 ive always been good but lately ive been unlike myself missin easy shyt n i was wonderin if i shud be worried because iam trying out for my high school team n if i dont start i think my dreams are shattered wat shud i do so i can get bak to my normal self

DAmiAN
New User

Post by DAmiAN » 24 Jul 2005, 02:58

Hi, I'm new here my name's Damian, I'm 15 years old. I have no experience at soccer at all, I have never played in a league/club. I'm not one of those people that have been playing all their lives. But I dont know why/how I realized a year ago when I first touched the ball that I love the game. I really do. I always go to sleep thinking why i didnt start playing at an earlier age because I really wanna go pro right now. I know it is really tough and that I need a lot of experience on it. But I've been playing and practicing on my backyard just for fun and the first time I entered my school's soccer team I made it to Junior Varsity. My father was one of the most skilled players in Uruguay, my country, and he got an offer of going pro that he denied for some reason (pride). He always tells me that I have the skill in my blood because I got it from him and that I just need to practice more and more. I think I'm doing pretty good right now for not having any experience at all and really want to take my skills to wherever I'm capable of. I would like to hear any opinions if I do or dont have a chance at becoming pro and if I should not get my hopes up and move on to something else. Thanks a lot and sorry for big post :|

af2266

Post by af2266 » 24 Jul 2005, 03:15

DamiAN you have as much of a chance as everybody else here to go pro in my opinion... as long as you keep up your working out with the ball and try to learn moves and practice everyday trust me youll improve alot. its no wast of time!
some guy yelled at me...

DAmiAN
New User

Post by DAmiAN » 24 Jul 2005, 03:41

af2266 wrote:DamiAN you have as much of a chance as everybody else here to go pro in my opinion... as long as you keep up your working out with the ball and try to learn moves and practice everyday trust me youll improve alot. its no wast of time!
Thanks, I guess you're right and I'll take your advise :D

frizzyan
Veteran Member

Post by frizzyan » 24 Jul 2005, 07:33

DAmiAN wrote:I have no experience at soccer at all, I have never played in a league/club. I'm not one of those people that have been playing all their lives. But I dont know why/how I realized a year ago when I first touched the ball that I love the game. I really do. I always go to sleep thinking why i didnt start playing at an earlier age because I really wanna go pro right now.

Hey your story sounds similar to mine. I used to play a junior team in Scotland, and had I continued, I would be way better than I am now. Unfortunately, my constant moving around across the world has not given me a stable footballing childhood. Instead, I spent most of my time dreaming to play pro. Now that I am sharpening up my skills, I am starting to join teams and play for them. In the junior team in Scotland, I could have built my up much quicker than I have to now. Not only am I much older than before, but also I live in hong kong right now, the level of football is significantly lower.

Sure it makes life a lot tougher when you're 15 already and don't play consistently, but that means from now on you must train super hard 24/7 to make it to the pro ranks. I'm sure in a few years there will be a few pros that started football extremely late like 13-15, but have gone on and become world superstars within 10 years.

You must not give up and must be determined to become pro. believe in yourself, and although statistics and history suggest that it's too late to start playing football seriously, you can create your very own piece of history.

DAmiAN wrote:My father was one of the most skilled players in Uruguay,

Uruguay? Really?! Wow that's amazing. If your father was really one of the most skilled player in uruguay, I guess that makes your life a lot easier, but you've still gotta practise nonstop. But it's kinda weird though how you didn't grow up playing serious football, but hey, it's not too late yet.

DAmiAN wrote:Thanks a lot and sorry for big post

ahaha no worries I love reading long posts and writing them as well!! people are used to me doing that by now.

Hey everybody, check out this post: http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1525