U.S. Soccer Academy Program

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Middleman13
Veteran Member

Post by Middleman13 » 21 Feb 2008, 01:25

Have any of you guys played against concord fire or afc lightening. Those are the 2 top teams in georgia. Im trying out for both of them in june and hopefully make there top squad!! :D
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you will die today.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 21 Feb 2008, 01:41

ajc wrote:
Zlatan5 wrote:There were odyssey tryouts this month but i didnt attend.
We just played the U18 Odyssey team at the winter academy showcase in Dallas, beat them 2-0.
Wow thats impressive, but so i've been hearing the U-18 team is desperate for players, they are trying to call down some college players who were really amazing. Did they start a tall black dude that game?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 21 Feb 2008, 22:03

I'm not sure Zlatan5, I didn't attend the showcase since I'm not fit yet. I'm back doing light training with the team now but now yet fully playing.

I'll let you know how it goes on saturday.
Click it

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 21 Feb 2008, 22:42

ok this isnt related to the academy program but anyway..

the other day 300 college american football players had NFL "tryouts"
do the MLS have similar tryouts and draft players or are they all scouted individually

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 21 Feb 2008, 22:57

ajc wrote:Most youth national team scouting (for U16-18) is now being done through academy clubs, not ODP. One of the guys who plays for the U16s at Delco just got called into national team camp.

Are colleges also looking at academy and not so much ODP

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 22 Feb 2008, 02:20

ScottyBoy wrote:ok this isnt related to the academy program but anyway..

do the MLS have similar tryouts and draft players or are they all scouted individually
yea mls teams do have similar tryouts. (hellz yea, my rating is 1.00) :roll:

and about colleges looking at academy and not so much odp, i dont really kno. i guess it's a bit about luck, like who u got spotted by, yada yada dee. but i guess if ur like region 1 odp or national level odp, ur not gonna get shunned by colleges. but then agin wat do i kno, im jus lil ol steve-0 wif an average rating 1 and near failing spanish 3...

Francis8
Veteran Member

Post by Francis8 » 22 Feb 2008, 02:37

steve-0 wrote:

yea mls teams do have similar tryouts. (hellz yea, my rating is 1.00) :roll:

and about colleges looking at academy and not so much odp, i dont really kno. i guess it's a bit about luck, like who u got spotted by, yada yada dee. but i guess if ur like region 1 odp or national level odp, ur not gonna get shunned by colleges. but then agin wat do i kno, im jus lil ol steve-0 wif an average rating 1 and near failing spanish 3...
thats why I dropped it in the first week! (a 44 isn;t gonna help my GPA :lol: ) and I moved to AP Art (which I am beasting btw...)
The testicles of a "right whale" weigh 1100 lbs each....... :o

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 23 Feb 2008, 04:24

Yeah, that's called a combine. It's where a bunch of top players are assembled and scouts from each team come to watch them do certain drills and tests. Then the teams can decide who they want to draft/sign. They have one in the MLS based on the same principle as the NFL combine. You have to first be scouted individually in order to be invited to the combine.

Colleges will come scout players wherever they think they will find talent... if that means an ODP game they'll scout there, if it means an academy game they'll scout there. I know pretty much every top college comes to the academy showcases. At the one last weekend there were over 130 college coaches, 15 national team coaches, and 8 professional club scouts.
Click it

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 23 Feb 2008, 04:40

ajc wrote:

Yeah, that's called a combine. It's where a bunch of top players are assembled and scouts from each team come to watch them do certain drills and tests. Then the teams can decide who they want to draft/sign. They have one in the MLS based on the same principle as the NFL combine. You have to first be scouted individually in order to be invited to the combine.

Colleges will come scout players wherever they think they will find talent... if that means an ODP game they'll scout there, if it means an academy game they'll scout there. I know pretty much every top college comes to the academy showcases. At the one last weekend there were over 130 college coaches, 15 national team coaches, and 8 professional club scouts.
don't some of the MLS teams hold a open tryout also?, I know some USL teams do.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 23 Feb 2008, 04:45

2brown347 wrote:
ajc wrote:

yes, i'm not sure if all of them do, but im sure some do, like TFC, and i think RBNY, the newer teams coming into the league will hold some too...

MSILancer7
Veteran Member

Post by MSILancer7 » 25 Feb 2008, 03:18

Davidson9 wrote:
2brown347 wrote:
ajc wrote: Yeah, that's called a combine. It's where a bunch of top players are assembled and scouts from each team come to watch them do certain drills and tests. Then the teams can decide who they want to draft/sign. They have one in the MLS based on the same principle as the NFL combine. You have to first be scouted individually in order to be invited to the combine.

yes, i'm not sure if all of them do, but im sure some do, like TFC, and i think RBNY, the newer teams coming into the league will hold some too...
Davidson9 is right. this year san jose, and a couple other teams had extra roster spots to fill so they held tryouts but i think that you had to be invited.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Feb 2008, 23:29

i dont know if this is going to start a new debate but here goes. Why do MLS teams need to draft players from colleges. This means that alot of players wont start playing professionaly until the age of 20/22 in some cases.
Surely it would make more sense to the clubs and improve the standard of your game if clubs started academies and youth teams.

ps (are real salt lake any good :D )

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Feb 2008, 23:34

ScottyBoy wrote:i dont know if this is going to start a new debate but here goes. Why do MLS teams need to draft players from colleges. This means that alot of players wont start playing professionaly until the age of 20/22 in some cases.
Surely it would make more sense to the clubs and improve the standard of your game if clubs started academies and youth teams.

ps (are real salt lake any good :D )
I think it's just sorta how things in the other american leagues have been for other sports and it just sorta crossed over, even though it is a stupid method.

Real Salt Lake sure aren't the best team in the MLS, but I gotta represent anyway 8) , Findley all the way.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 03 Mar 2008, 00:19

ScottyBoy wrote:i dont know if this is going to start a new debate but here goes. Why do MLS teams need to draft players from colleges. This means that alot of players wont start playing professionaly until the age of 20/22 in some cases.
I agree with this. In the U.S. a typical career path consists of playing for a club and school team (possibly ODP as well), playing for a college, then playing for a professional club (in that order). It would be much simpler and more effective for development if you could stay on at the same club from youth level to professional.

However there are benefits in drafting players from college. This way if a player's pro career doesn't work out he has a degree to fall back on and make a good life for himself. Also, going to college can be a great social experience.
Click it

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 07 Mar 2008, 02:11

Hey guys, I just found an article on the US Soccer site about our last game: http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticl ... 06756.html

We play DC United's U18s saturday, I'll let keep you updated on the result.
Click it