U.S. Soccer Academy Program

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
Post Reply
IggTron7
New User
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 21:15

Post by IggTron7 » 04 Dec 2008, 23:15

arsenalfc08 wrote:
messimaradona wrote:I am familar with this program but i don't think it is that good. LIke the U16 team in my city Carmel UNited won the nation al championship, and i know i wouldn't mkae that team, but it seems like a lot of it is politics and money. LIke i know the Carmel Tema cost upwards of 5 grand a year, and i am 100 percent sure that there are quality players who cannot pay for that
Thats what is so wrong about the us development. No other country charges money for kids to play, the most may be uniform charges but its no where near 5 grand. Us youth soccer is all about money. When teams travel who pays for the plane tickets,hotel and food? The parents. No wonder kids are trying so hard to perform,they will probably need a full ride to be able to afford college.

My brother played travel hockey for 6 years. We were going on trips pretty much every weekend, tournments over hoildays,etc. Last year I asked my mom and dad how much it cost to do this for so long. My dad it was around 10 grand a year when you factor in all the costs (hotel,food,gas). It didn't help that the hotels that were booked were really nice hotels and expensive (hilton,etc).
I completely agree that one of the main problems of US Youth Soccer is that it is, for the majority, a rich man's game. It is completely the opposite in other areas of the world and i think economics play less of a role overseas. On the contrary, i do believe that the academy system is a step in the right direction. It places the best clubs in the country in a league. There are no more questions concerning whether or not super-y or the RPL is the best league. If you play at an exceptionally good club, you are part of the academy system. As a sidenote with the moetary issues, if you are a true baller most clubs will offer a scholarship that makes it affordable.
"Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple" -Johan Cruijff

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 04 Dec 2008, 23:58

Most clubs do have some type of aid, some MLS academy teams don't charge (Fire is one). I don't think your level of play matters in terms of getting a scholarship, they should give aid to anyone who needs it. Even with the scholarship I'm sure its still expensive when you add in travel,gas,new boots,uniforms,etc.

I think its a huge step up, way better than ODP, as the really good players are leaving ODP for the academy.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by barcahooligan » 05 Dec 2008, 00:16

this exactly my problem, i am 14 years old and play for a club in my town, but to play for premier or odp (which is called the empire academies in western ny) we would have to pay thousands off dollars a year and my parents are not willing to do that.............im afraid that i wont be able to play in college because scouts are mainly at the showcase tournements which the premeir and odp teams go to.
Image
sig by 2brown347

IggTron7
New User
Posts: 15
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 21:15

Post by IggTron7 » 05 Dec 2008, 00:53

I really do not know what to tell you other than the U.S. has a long way to go in soccer. In most of the other countries on the globe, soccer is a poor man's game. Since professional sports is the pastime of the common man, by limiting the greatest oppurtunities in soccer to the rich, it does not sink into our culture like football, baseball, etc. The academy is not a step towards universal opputunity for american footballers, because it definitely is not, but rather a step towards the European youth league model.
"Soccer is simple, but it is difficult to play simple" -Johan Cruijff

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 05 Dec 2008, 01:00

barcahooligan wrote:this exactly my problem, i am 14 years old and play for a club in my town, but to play for premier or odp (which is called the empire academies in western ny) we would have to pay thousands off dollars a year and my parents are not willing to do that.............im afraid that i wont be able to play in college because scouts are mainly at the showcase tournements which the premeir and odp teams go to.
Barca you can play in college, you will just have to talk to the coahces yourself. Make a list of schools you would like to attend (for academics and soccer) and that you feel you can realistically make their team and look up their websites.

Every school has recruit information forms/prospective athlete to fill out. Start doing these asap especially if your a junior. If your not a junior still fill me though and contact coaches but they won't formally be able to talk to you until your junior year. I'm pretty sure its junior year, check ncaa.com for requirments.

You can also mail soccer resumes out to schools. Basically like a work resume except with your soccer accomplishments (awards,club invovlment,high school,coaches contacts/soccer references). You can also put times down like 40m,100m etc, and keep it updated.

Here is an example http://panthers.ohiodominican.edu/publi ... ctive.aspx

There are kids in colleges who never did ODP and still play. Clint Dempsey never did ODP. I know a guy who plays d1 and never did ODP, he played on a good high school and club team though. It's really all about getting your name out there.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by barcahooligan » 05 Dec 2008, 01:19

wow.........well you just made my day, ive been stressed as hell because a ton of the kids i will be playing with next year on varsity play odp and 2 of them play for the regional team and i know by time im a senior i will be skilled enough to play in college but was afraid i would never get a chance to be looked at like these kids i play with..........im glad there are oppourtunities to get some how get noticed by colleges without paying thousands of dollars............. :D im a freshman by the way :wink:
Image
sig by 2brown347

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 20:34

Post by arsenalfc08 » 05 Dec 2008, 01:38

barcahooligan wrote:wow.........well you just made my day, ive been stressed as hell because a ton of the kids i will be playing with next year on varsity play odp and 2 of them play for the regional team and i know by time im a senior i will be skilled enough to play in college but was afraid i would never get a chance to be looked at like these kids i play with..........im glad there are oppourtunities to get some how get noticed by colleges without paying thousands of dollars............. :D im a freshman by the way :wink:
There is always a chance. It may not be some big d1 school that you play at but i'm sure you can get somewhere. It's probably better to go to a smaller school anyway, more chance of playing time. I'm a firm believer in it doesn't matter what school you go to, its just about what you do there, you just need to make the most of it. Dempsey and Ricardo Clark (pretty sure it was clark) went to Furman which is a small d1 school not really known for soccer too much. They made the most of it.

Start doing your research now, its never too early. Try getting on a club team if your not on one already. Have you thought about ODP? I'm sure they have some type of aid, at least give the tryout a shot, you never know what will happen.

Also when your making your list of schools be releastic. Don't just put all d1 schools on there, go for d2 and d3, there is also naia schools that are good. I know a girl who goes to one and she started playing this year right away (shes a freshman). I'm sure ncca.com and naia.com have a list of schools.

See if the schools your interested in have summer camps. This could be a good way to "put a face to the name/emails". Don't be afraid to go to more than one and talk to the staff at the camps as much as you can.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by barcahooligan » 05 Dec 2008, 02:42

actually there are 2 colleges (University of Rochester and RIT) both d3 that have great academics and good soccer programs, and there practically in my backyard..........i think this summer they offer camps so i'll check them out, a couple of my neighbors played for both of them so i'll ask around and start gettin to know different programs and whatnot.........thanks for all this advice 8)
Image
sig by 2brown347

MSILancer7
Veteran Member
Posts: 443
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 14:04

Post by MSILancer7 » 05 Dec 2008, 02:43

barcahooligan wrote:actually there are 2 colleges (University of Rochester and RIT) both d3 that have great academics and good soccer programs, and there practically in my backyard..........i think this summer they offer camps so i'll check them out, a couple of my neighbors played for both of them so i'll ask around and start gettin to know different programs and whatnot.........thanks for all this advice 8)
Dude that is one of the top 4 schools im thinking about going to. But i thought that RIT was D1.

Edit:never mind they are D3 i dont know what i was thinking

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by barcahooligan » 05 Dec 2008, 02:51

MSILancer7 wrote:
barcahooligan wrote:actually there are 2 colleges (University of Rochester and RIT) both d3 that have great academics and good soccer programs, and there practically in my backyard..........i think this summer they offer camps so i'll check them out, a couple of my neighbors played for both of them so i'll ask around and start gettin to know different programs and whatnot.........thanks for all this advice 8)
Dude that is one of the top 4 schools im thinking about going to. But i thought that RIT was D1.

Edit:never mind they are D3 i dont know what i was thinking
haha.........my cousin played for them, they have a good soccer program. Are you from new york state?
Image
sig by 2brown347

MSILancer7
Veteran Member
Posts: 443
Joined: 13 Aug 2007, 14:04

Post by MSILancer7 » 05 Dec 2008, 02:53

barcahooligan wrote:
MSILancer7 wrote:
barcahooligan wrote:actually there are 2 colleges (University of Rochester and RIT) both d3 that have great academics and good soccer programs, and there practically in my backyard..........i think this summer they offer camps so i'll check them out, a couple of my neighbors played for both of them so i'll ask around and start gettin to know different programs and whatnot.........thanks for all this advice 8)
Dude that is one of the top 4 schools im thinking about going to. But i thought that RIT was D1.

Edit:never mind they are D3 i dont know what i was thinking
haha.........my cousin played for them, they have a good soccer program. Are you from new york state?
No, im from maryland, but my friend lives in new york and i love it. Plus it (RIT) is a really good engineering school and that is what i want to major in.

Post Reply