Amateur, Semi Pro, Pro

Tell us about the league you playing in, tryouts, etc
thisisdard
Veteran Member

Alright, alright. Aside from the obvious skill level and cash, what are the factors that make amateur adult soccer distinguishable from semi pro soccer? What are the factors that seperate the semi pro level and pro level, aside from skill and money?

:?:

soccer11
Admin

aside from skill and money? i guess nothing. i mean, the skill pretty much says it all. and also the speed of the game is much faster the high the status goes

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Not exactly. Depending on the country, money and skill are big factors but not the only ones. For example AFC Wimbledon in England is a semi pro club and has more money than some pro clubs in poorer countries, say, Ghana.

dareliss
Veteran Member

well yeah england it's big at soccer it's thing number one, and you can't compare countires like ghana with england it's obvious that england will have more money and skill level is very different, try to compare amreica with italy italians amatures team are better then some pro teams in usa but they dont have big money.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

It's the administration hierarchy I guess. But definitely the money generated into the club.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

soccer11 pretty much summed it up, skill, money and speed. But the thing is that professionals train quite alot and very hard, and their mentality is that winning is the only option, they are there to do a job, not play football, although there is no reason they cant enjoy as well, winning is all that matters to their coaches. They are trained using scientific knowledge to develop to there peak as athletes as well. Semi pro is like this but much less physical, and amateur is just for fun, but even there, winning is important.

expert
Site Admin

The way I see it is like this:
Amateur - pace of the game is slow, teams have little cohesion, players of wide range of ability on the same team, bad to no coaching (in the US at least)
Semi-pro - players are faster, stronger and much more fit, not very different from pro soccer
Pro - the major difference with semi-pro is performance, to be pro you have to affect the course of games and make things happen consistently at the higest level - otherwise they won't pick you

Unlike the US, in Europe the amateur/semi-pro line is more blurred

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

lower leagues tend to be more physical and games can be won by harder tackling teams wheras in higher leagues more skill is required

thisisdard
Veteran Member

expert wrote:The way I see it is like this:
Amateur - pace of the game is slow, teams have little cohesion, players of wide range of ability on the same team, bad to no coaching (in the US at least)
Semi-pro - players are faster, stronger and much more fit, not very different from pro soccer
Pro - the major difference with semi-pro is performance, to be pro you have to affect the course of games and make things happen consistently at the higest level - otherwise they won't pick you

Unlike the US, in Europe the amateur/semi-pro line is more blurred
So at what point does a semi pro team cross the line to pro? Is it consistency in dominating semi pro leagues? :roll:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I think a semi pro team crosses the line to pro when the players are getting paid enough that it is a full time job.

thisisdard
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:I think a semi pro team crosses the line to pro when the players are getting paid enough that it is a full time job.
Oh, ok. That makes sense I guess. Thanks for setting it straight. :)

----
So semi pro players do not need to pay dues to the team, then?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

No, for semi pro the players don't have to pay anything, so they get free jersey's and stuff. And many of them get paid.

Trainer09

This is what somebody told me..
"As you get higher up the pace gets fasters. Players core body strength is higher as you get closer to pro. The fitness in speed endurance is greater but the speed of the players dont always change. And You make less mistakes then you did when you play Amateur." Thats the biggest one he said.

thisisdard
Veteran Member

ajc, thanks again.

People can get transfered for fees in the semi pro world as well right?

--------
Trainer09 wrote:This is what somebody told me..
"As you get higher up the pace gets fasters. Players core body strength is higher as you get closer to pro. The fitness in speed endurance is greater but the speed of the players dont always change. And You make less mistakes then you did when you play Amateur." Thats the biggest one he said.
You're going to be semi pro, soon right? :wink:

belija91
Veteran Member

What separates Amateur leagues from semi-pro is money. More money = better players which can contribute to a faster game. The semi-pro clubs get recognized over-seas while the Amateurs don't. They would have connections to overseas clubs as well. For example a Italian supported team in one country, would be connected to an Italian team like Fiorentina. The players in Armature's are big and strong but lack skill and stick to basics... The semi-pro's are big strong fast and skillfull.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve