Rules of the competition

The Expert Football Freestyle Contest is a competition for the best user-submitted video clip
Tierney

Post by Tierney » 11 Oct 2005, 16:11

prtglsoccerfan22 wrote:
Owen4ever wrote:
Tierney wrote:Can you enter more than one video for the competition?
it specifically says each freestyler can only submit ONE video
lol. he never reads things through.
Now hold on...........actually , thats true. lol !!!

prtglsoccerfan22

Post by prtglsoccerfan22 » 11 Oct 2005, 16:18

im glad ur taking this lightly now Tierney :D :wink:
-Marcus-

Tierney

Post by Tierney » 11 Oct 2005, 17:11

Yeah me too, dat'll never happen again

Owen4ever
Veteran Member

Post by Owen4ever » 12 Oct 2005, 21:14

expert wrote:I agree, but we shouldn't have more than 2-3 rounds or it would take forever. Plus reviewing the same vid over and over in the same way would be boring.
I think it's best to stick to the "beauty pageant" format where all the videos are given points in different categories like complexity, originality, etc... To keep things more exciting the top 4 clips could then advance to a semi-final knock-out and a final.
ok i have a suggestion and it's obviously your choice how to run this competition but i think it's a really good suggestion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

first we'll have all the videos set out. and then the judges will each vote for 16 videos they think should make it to the round of 16 in terms of general quality of the video and the top 16 videos in terms of votes will make it through.

in the round of 16 there will be an assessment of each of the videos according to general skills and styles. since most ppl consider "style" to be the most important thing when it comes to freestyle, the first quality to come into play should be this. the judges will rate each videos out of 10.0 for how good the freestylers' styles are and how smooth and nice and easy they make things look and top 8 will go through to the next round. also, the flow of the moves/combos and mechanics should be considered.

in the quarter finals (round of 8 ) the videos will be judged on entertainment value and presentation. this could include originality of tricks and routines, music choice, quality of camera, locations, and any other qualities which makes the video "entertaining". the judges will rate each videos out of 10.0 for the videos in terms of how "exciting" the videos are and perhaps how "original" they are and top 4 rated videos will go through. this quality comes in after style because it doesn't matter much how good you are if nobody wants to watch you.

in the semis the videos should be judged on complexity of the tricks, and the techniques. how good they are technically and what kind of difficult tricks they can perform should be taken into account as the judges rate each videos out of 10.0 with the top 2 rated videos advancing.

in the final round with 2 videos left all the judges will vote on each videos according to EVERY quality. being rated out of 10.0 according to EVERY quality, the winner will be determined.

in case of any ties in any of the rounds, there should be one supreme judge who can overrule the others' decisions and choose a video that should go through... this one judge being chosen by the admin of course. or another way could be to leave it up to a public voting and after a certain amount of time and/or votes the tie breaker will be determined.

and for each videos different styles should be considered. since there are freestylers that prefer lower moves, upper moves, ground moves, and sit down moves, for each categories (style, entertainment, complexity, etc.) the judges will have to be as unbiased as possible as some do prefer some styles over another. extra credit could be given out to videos concerning many different styles of freestyle.

and for each time a judge votes or rates a video they should be obliged to make a detailed explanation of their choices and if the admin considers the explanation to be rather inadequate (example: "good video") the admin should have the choice of making it so that that vote shouldn't count. the admin should also consider whether the judges are being biased or not to see if they are worthy of contributing to the judging of the competition (for example one could say this video is better because it has lower moves that i like which would not be suitable or if a judge purposely puts another video down and says it sucks because they want their video to win that would not be suitable).

and there should be threads concerning many of these rounds, qualities, videos or whatever so the judges and the public can discuss the videos, discuss the judges' decisions, offer some contributions for the judges making their decision and other judges as well, etc. etc. etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so here is my suggestion. remember this is ONLY a suggestion and you can choose to either use this, borrow ideas from this, or just ignore it but in my opinion this could be a good way to make the competition go smoothly and nicely and without bias.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 12 Oct 2005, 23:12

Owen4ever wrote:ok i have a suggestion and it's obviously your choice how to run this competition but i think it's a really good suggestion.
Sure man, the purpose of this thread is to come up with the best format.

Yeah, I like idea is better except - you yourself said that 'style' is probably the most important factor, hence, I propose pushing it forward in the tournament (this way it will be more significant). Like this:
1.Round of skill (16 clips)
- ambitiousness and complexity of the tricks
- length of the video in relation to the variety of the tricks
2.Round of creativity (8 clips)
- originality and arrangement of the tricks
- editing and concept of the video
3.Round of style (4 clips)
- execution of the tricks (flow)
- music and background theme
4.Final
Overall
Owen4ever wrote:and for each videos different styles should be considered. since there are freestylers that prefer lower moves, upper moves, ground moves, and sit down moves, for each categories (style, entertainment, complexity, etc.) the judges will have to be as unbiased as possible as some do prefer some styles over another. extra credit could be given out to videos concerning many different styles of freestyle.
To keep things unbiased, I think each judge should answer a couple of very specific questions in addition to rating the vids. For example, in Round 1, every judge will have to answer:
- How complex and diverse were the tricks/combos in relation to the other clips?
- Was the video too long or too short and was it exciting all throughout?

By the way, I'd like to be a judge too, so in case of a tie I guess I could have the veto authority. ;)

Ivan
Veteran Member

Post by Ivan » 12 Oct 2005, 23:36

Expert u no how u said all the ppl in THE FREESTYLERS group are judges what if thier in the competition?

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 12 Oct 2005, 23:46

Ivan wrote:Expert u no how u said all the ppl in THE FREESTYLERS group are judges what if thier in the competition?
Good question. Even if they're allowed to judge, they wouldn't be able to rate their own videos.

Ivan
Veteran Member

Post by Ivan » 12 Oct 2005, 23:54

but they might give ppl bad rating like i no young and owen4evr and ppl like that wont but some other ppl might

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 12 Oct 2005, 23:58

keep in consideration expert, if a freestyler enters his movie even though he cant vote for hes he can still give all the other movies a look score so he can increase his chances of winning.

prtglsoccerfan22

Post by prtglsoccerfan22 » 13 Oct 2005, 00:07

R9KEvinR9 wrote:keep in consideration expert, if a freestyler enters his movie even though he cant vote for hes he can still give all the other movies a look score so he can increase his chances of winning.
how unfair. lol. can;t we trust our users to be good and trustworthy? lol. I guess not. I dont know what expert will do, but I suggest he (expert) just picks the judges. He can pick people he knows will be fair and just and follow the rules and criteria. But thats just my opinion.
-Marcus-

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 13 Oct 2005, 00:20

yeah man but iam just tryin to make it fair
btw when is the deadline for the vids

prtglsoccerfan22

Post by prtglsoccerfan22 » 13 Oct 2005, 00:24

R9KEvinR9 wrote:yeah man but iam just tryin to make it fair
btw when is the deadline for the vids
it says on the rules page.

"Deadline for all application entries is November 15."
-Marcus-

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 13 Oct 2005, 00:28

thanks god cus i got hurt today when i came from school doing stepovers lol

romania_soccer

Post by romania_soccer » 13 Oct 2005, 00:31

Video submitters shouldn't be able to vote, neither for them or others. As for the judges topic, I agree that trustworthy and unbiaised judges should be chosen.
Immediately start dealing with it.

Owen4ever
Veteran Member

Post by Owen4ever » 13 Oct 2005, 02:22

expert wrote:
Owen4ever wrote:ok i have a suggestion and it's obviously your choice how to run this competition but i think it's a really good suggestion.
Sure man, the purpose of this thread is to come up with the best format.

Yeah, I like idea is better except - you yourself said that 'style' is probably the most important factor, hence, I propose pushing it forward in the tournament (this way it will be more significant). Like this:
1.Round of skill (16 clips)
- ambitiousness and complexity of the tricks
- length of the video in relation to the variety of the tricks
2.Round of creativity (8 clips)
- originality and arrangement of the tricks
- editing and concept of the video
3.Round of style (4 clips)
- execution of the tricks (flow)
- music and background theme
4.Final
Overall
Owen4ever wrote:and for each videos different styles should be considered. since there are freestylers that prefer lower moves, upper moves, ground moves, and sit down moves, for each categories (style, entertainment, complexity, etc.) the judges will have to be as unbiased as possible as some do prefer some styles over another. extra credit could be given out to videos concerning many different styles of freestyle.
To keep things unbiased, I think each judge should answer a couple of very specific questions in addition to rating the vids. For example, in Round 1, every judge will have to answer:
- How complex and diverse were the tricks/combos in relation to the other clips?
- Was the video too long or too short and was it exciting all throughout?

By the way, I'd like to be a judge too, so in case of a tie I guess I could have the veto authority. ;)
yea so in case of a tie you can pick what you think should go through and of course providing an explanation as well. and also it should be that if you believe someone to be cheating for themselves giving others bad ratings you should have the authority to restrict them from judging any more videos.
and for each time a judge votes or rates a video they should be obliged to make a detailed explanation of their choices and if the admin considers the explanation to be rather inadequate (example: "good video") the admin should have the choice of making it so that that vote shouldn't count. the admin should also consider whether the judges are being biased or not to see if they are worthy of contributing to the judging of the competition (for example one could say this video is better because it has lower moves that i like which would not be suitable or if a judge purposely puts another video down and says it sucks because they want their video to win that would not be suitable).

and there should be threads concerning many of these rounds, qualities, videos or whatever so the judges and the public can discuss the videos, discuss the judges' decisions, offer some contributions for the judges making their decision and other judges as well, etc. etc. etc.
and what do you think of these suggestions?