Arsenal link up with Colorado Rapids

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
XstaticX
Veteran Member

Arsenal link up with Colorado Rapids

Post by XstaticX » 09 Feb 2007, 21:16

Hey, the club in my town that I've been following now have a strategic alliance with Arsenal of Europe. I am thrilled and want to see what comes of this.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 09 Feb 2007, 21:30

From Arsenal.com

Arsenal enter partnership with Colorado Rapids
Arsenal today enters into an exclusive agreement with Kroenke Sports Enterprises (KSE) — the leading live sports and entertainment group based in Denver - with the primary aims of building the Arsenal brand in the US; helping to improve the quality of football at MLS team Colorado Rapids and supporting grassroots football in the US.

The establishment of this innovative strategic relationship will combine an exchange of best practices together with commercial and marketing efforts which includes the inception of a Centre of Excellence at Dick's Sporting Goods Park and the transfer of coaching ‘know how’.

Furthermore, a key component of this relationship is the development of the Arsenal Cup, a club tournament that will be open to American club teams from all over the United States which will be hosted at Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Colorado.

Arsenal Football Club's Managing Director Keith Edelman enthused: "We are delighted to be able to announce our partnership with Kroenke Sports Enterprises and the Colorado Rapids. This is a very important step for Arsenal Football Club as this becomes our first venture into the United States marketplace. We are approaching this as a long term development partnership that will benefit both clubs significantly."

KSE Executive Vice-President and Chief Marketing Officer Paul Andrews said: "“We are trilled to have established such a partnership with one of the leading clubs in the world that will help continue the expansion of our sport well into the future."

Colorado Rapids Managing Director Jeff Plush said: “This groundbreaking partnership with Arsenal, a team that has been in the first flights of the sports for more then 100 years is the one of the stepping stones to continue pushing our sport into the next level. In today’s international business community, soccer is the only true global sport that transcends ethnicity, culture and language and with this type of relationships we are making sure that our company is expanding this vision through our worldwide sport.”

The Rapids will travel to London on March 8th, where they will be hosted by Arsenal Football Club to continue their pre-season training camp practicing at their team facilities. The stint in London will end on March 13, when the team departs to their final stage of their preseason in Valencia, Spain.

With a new era beginning for the team today and the opening of their new 18,000 seat soccer-specific stadium set for April 7, 2007, the Colorado Rapids are poised to set a new standard of excellence in Major League Soccer and around the world of sports.

I'm thrilled about this. I hope they really try to market Arsenal in America, and the club tournament sounds great. I'm sure that in the latter stages there would be Arsenal scouts, it could be a great way for young players here to gain exposure.
Click it

XstaticX
Veteran Member

Post by XstaticX » 09 Feb 2007, 21:41

Well, it's like 30 minutes drive away from my house, so I'll have to get some money to go to that tourney!

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 09 Feb 2007, 21:56

That's awesome. I bet sometime in the future Arsenal will play against the Rapids too, so then you can see them play!! :lol:
Click it

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 10 Feb 2007, 00:44

This is just sad, just goes to show money is the center of football nowadays.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 10 Feb 2007, 00:50

KPatel wrote:This is just sad, just goes to show money is the center of football nowadays.
It's not sad for Americans.
Click it

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 10 Feb 2007, 00:53

ajc wrote:
KPatel wrote:This is just sad, just goes to show money is the center of football nowadays.
That's far from the point. To be honest, I don't care how they feel. No offense but they need to take their own action to make the sport big here. American football and especially baseball are the most boring and pointless sports around.

And I said it was sad because of the FACT that football is no longer football. It's completely about the money, not the enjoyment of playing or managing a team. Even players are more concerned about money than playing.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 10 Feb 2007, 00:59

KPatel wrote:
ajc wrote:
That's far from the point. To be honest, I don't care how they feel. No offense but they need to take their own action to make the sport big here. American football and especially baseball are the most boring and pointless sports around.

And I said it was sad because of the FACT that football is no longer football. It's completely about the money, not the enjoyment of playing or managing a team. Even players are more concerned about money than playing.
That's really not true for many players around the world. Sure, some care about money more than football, but look at somebody like Ronaldinho. He has so much fun playing football. I'm pretty sure lots of them care about football more than money.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 10 Feb 2007, 03:19

KPatel wrote:
ajc wrote:

I totally agree with you that it's very sad that football is so much about money. I was just saying that this specific situation with Arsenal linking up with an MLS team is something that Americans who want to see football promoted in their country can be happy about. I'm sure you don't care and I don't blame you, but in my mind this is good news.
Click it

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 10 Feb 2007, 04:18

By the way, I just heard some more news about this. Apparently the Colorado Rapids are contemplating changing their team name to Arsenal Colorado or Colorado Arsenal, and are considering changing their home kit to match Arsenal's maroon shirts from last season. I think this is way, way over the top, but then again if Arsenal wants to make its mark in America I can't think of a more effective way to do it. Still though..... ugh it doesn't feel right.......
Click it

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 10 Feb 2007, 04:22

This is ridiculous, I thought America was all about individuality and whatever. I mean honestly Real Salt Lake, is that approved by the Spanish monarchy? Now Colorado Arsenal...I'm going to set up a protest and a petition. THIS IS STUPID!!!

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 10 Feb 2007, 04:31

I agree. That is really weird. Although, you gotta give props to Arsenal for their marketing. They will get even more publicity by doing this. It'll go both ways. Arsenal fans will say, "Hey, we're in America now!" and the Colorado fans will say, "Hmm, I think I'll try to follow Arsenal in the EPL."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 10 Feb 2007, 04:35

gnarlyjim wrote:I Arsenal fans will say, "Hey, we're in America now!" and the Colorado fans will say, "Hmm, I think I'll try to follow Arsenal in the EPL."
And everyone else will sign Kpatel's petition.
Click it

Viduka
Veteran Member

Post by Viduka » 10 Feb 2007, 08:53

Lol, I just read about this 5 mins ago. Yeh, this is wierd, Arsenal's Wenger, hates the fact that foreign owners are taking over clubs. I wonder what he will say about this???

I have to say, I too like Wenger, do not like foreign takeovers or links. Because this then will "steal the identity" of clubs, now if Colorado Rapids start winning, then it will be due to funding from Arsenal which is highly unfair, and this link will then encourage changes in the future to Arsenal as they now have to consider CRapids when making decisions.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 10 Feb 2007, 13:44

Call me blind or biased or whatever, but I don't see this as such a big deal. Arsenal are just doing the same thing that they have done with Beveren in Belgium and Celta in Spain. That is, they are forming a partnership in order to tap into a virtually unknown pool of young players, with and Beveren supplying many of the Africans on the team, it is possible that Wenger is trying to enter the American/Latin American world of players. It's not like there is any one team is being bought out, it just seems this way because MLS is so wanting of attention and I guess they think that by naming a team after a famous club, they can gain more prestige. For them, it's all just a way of making noise and trying to get the league popular, just like all of the teams buying the high-profile players for millions of dollars rather than investing in youth in the area. One change that we may see is a lot of Arsenal youth being loaned out to the MLS in order to gain experience, which could be very interesting. In general, I have no problem with the move and I don't care if any other teams do the same.

God damn brewery!!!