What MLS team do you cheer for?

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 04 Feb 2007, 03:14

I'm sure there is a topic on this already, but I thought I could make a new one because others are probably ages old. Anyways:

I cheer for FC Dallas, as they can play pretty well when they're on form.

wcswarriors

Post by wcswarriors » 04 Feb 2007, 03:25

DC United is where its at... I wish Miami FC could join the MLS, the USL kinda sucks

Francis

Post by Francis » 04 Feb 2007, 03:29

well, frankly i cheer for none. I watched a man utd game vs. everton when my satellite worked. The MLS cup final game was on a week before. I noticed the MLS cup game was slower, boring and the player all had beards for some strange reason. They were all in their 50's and hyperventilating after walking 3 micromillimeters. It should be called the MLS "who can run the least and be the laziest, sloppiest dribbler out there" open cup. The EPL was so fast and the ball looked like it was controlled, and the players had their own style. No offence to anyone but the MLS just plain sucks. Thats the nicest way i can say it. :D

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 04 Feb 2007, 03:41

Ive never watched an MSL match before, but I'd like to. Im curious of the standard. So far I only know four teams: Chicago fire, fc dallas, DC United and LA Galaxy. Its pretty sad i know, but i havent got a channel which shows MSL games...so is it worth watching? Whats the standard like? What type of styles are played? Im kind of in the dark wen it comes to the MSL lol. :lol:
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 03:58

gunnerz23 wrote: Im kind of in the dark wen it comes to the MSL lol. :lol:
Sorry but I have to say this. It's not the MSL! It's MLS! Jeez you really are in the dark about his league. :lol:

It would be worth watching to you, just to see how they play and what it's like. But whatever you do, don't watch an EPL game and then watch an MLS match immediately after. You'll be wondering who let those American bums on TV. The standard is poor, there's no getting around that. But every once in a while there is a bright spot that makes you take a second look and say "Did he really just do that?" Although with Deuce gone to Fullham now there will be fewer of those. There are some good players but unfortunately most of them seem to have some machine strapped to them that gives them an electric shock if they try to do a stepover or some kind of trick. Overall it's a rather slow league, with very little creativity, but I suppose it's worth looking into if you've never seen an MLS match.
Click it

gunnerz23
Veteran Member

Post by gunnerz23 » 04 Feb 2007, 04:10

ajc wrote:Sorry but I have to say this. It's not the MSL! It's MLS! Jeez you really are in the dark about his league.
haha. Sorry about that. I have NO idea why i call it MSL!
Ill try and search an MSL...i mean MSL video on youtube. Sounds like a pretty poor league from ur review but it'll be worth watching just to try and find out what its like. Cheers
forum for all arsenal fans:http://www.talkarsenal.com

"Theres nothing Im scared of in football."- Thierry Henry

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 04:19

Yea it is a pretty poor league overall I'd say. But it's nice to watch a game or two each weekend in the summer (winter for you I belive) when the European leagues are all in the off-season.
Click it

Francis

Post by Francis » 04 Feb 2007, 16:14

after watching them, i feel like "how good are my chances of going pro!". those guys are very boring. i said it al in my last post. there really isn't very much skill. I bet you the #1 ranked through the #15 ranked nationally ranked high school soccer teams could beat the galaxy. (i am #14 thank you very much)

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 17:05

Francis wrote:after watching them, i feel like "how good are my chances of going pro!". those guys are very boring. i said it al in my last post. there really isn't very much skill. I bet you the #1 ranked through the #15 ranked nationally ranked high school soccer teams could beat the galaxy. (i am #14 thank you very much)
No I don't think it's anywhere near that bad. Keep in mind that in friendly matches the MLS all-stars defeated Fullham and Chelsea and the New York Red Bulls scored a goal on Barcelona, and I believe Columbus tied Everton. A lot of the players do have skill, they just rarely choose to take players on or be creative. It is boring mostly because of the style of play and the decisions the players make, not because the players are terrible individually (although I'm saying by no means that they are great). I think that probably Landon Donovan, David Beckham, Chris Albright, and Cobi Jones are just a little bit better than some 17 year olds playing for their high school, wouldn't you?
Click it

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 04 Feb 2007, 17:08

I go for DC United because I feel that Freddy Adu, brings a little more of a European style of play. I rarely watch it, but when I do, I'll go for DC United.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 17:14

gnarlyjim wrote:I go for DC United because I feel that Freddy Adu, brings a little more of a European style of play. I rarely watch it, but when I do, I'll go for DC United.
Actually you'd probably want to start cheering for Real Salt Lake because Freddy transferred to them a few months ago.
Click it

Francis

Post by Francis » 04 Feb 2007, 17:17

i heard that freddy adu is being tested by manchester utd. is that true?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Feb 2007, 17:59

Francis wrote:i heard that freddy adu is being tested by manchester utd. is that true?
I think he had a two week trial or something like that, but he was only playing with the other youth players. Apparently he did okay, but nothing spectacular. I believe Sir Alex said something along the lines of "he's a good boy and we'll keep our eyes open for the future." He's not getting signed now however and he won't be for a while if he ever does.
Click it

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 04 Feb 2007, 19:19

personally i have given up on the MLS. I saw great things they could have done to make their league like the following:

1- bring in young players from south and central america and build their careers up
2- Join with the USL to make it have more than one division
3- Allow a couple more teams to be on it
4- get one or two old players to make the league a bit bigger to then build on it with younger players(i.e. ronaldo, beckham etc.)

They allowed toronto in on it which i was very happy with. They then went out and bought Beckham. This gave other teams more drive to make their teams better. They now are gonna ruin their league by bringing all old timers and having it be just like the league before this. I hear they are trying to sign Pele. Thats why i have given up on it and do not care for it anymore.

J
Admin

Post by J » 11 Feb 2007, 08:35

Francis wrote: They were all in their 50's and hyperventilating after walking 3 micromillimeters. It should be called the MLS "who can run the least and be the laziest
Actually one of the strengths of MLS and United States footy is our fitness level. I don't know which "cup" game you are referring to, but if it was the MLS cup, then you are way off on your statement.
The MLS isn't the greatest or most technical, but the level of fitness for the average player is pretty good. It's a pretty physical league.

There is definitely no high school team that could even come close to beating the Galaxy or any MLS team. Don't know if you were kidding or not?

And more on topic, I support the New England Revolution. Went to their first ever home game in 1996 and have supported them ever since.