U-20 World Cup Comes To Canada

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Mulatto_Magic

U-20 World Cup Comes To Canada

Post by Mulatto_Magic » 06 Dec 2006, 16:42

What do you guys think about trhe U-20 World Cup comeing to Canada next year??? In my mind this is a great step for soccer in canada it will bring exposure to the sport and that mean more programs more complexes and etc
~`Legend In The Making`~

Foxmero

Post by Foxmero » 03 Apr 2007, 12:46

i dont think it will make too much of a difference for us(canada) and we wont magically turn into loving soccer because i think the playoffs and the stanley cup are on at the same time. also the cfl and nfl. but hey the lesser the people the more chance ill get a tickets.
I Will Win The World Cup No Matter What It Takes
Image.

Thanks Shifty_fsu

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 06 Apr 2007, 00:57

Foxmero wrote:i think the playoffs and the stanley cup are on at the same time.
Actually, no, the playoffs will be done for a couple weeks. I got this info from some different sites.

"The FIFA U-20 World Cup Canada 2007 will take place from June 30 - July 22, 2007."

"Stanley Cup Playoffs to begin on Wednesday April 11, 2007 and end no later than June 11, 2007 with Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals."

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Apr 2007, 01:07

What? They still play hockey now?

Sorry, I forgot, I kind of stopped watching the Oilers play, so I stopped watching TV almost, except football of course. Man, last years run was amazing, now I can't watch an entire game, it almost tears me up...

I pray for a comeback next year. But for now, it's the dive for 5!! (Bottom 5 in the league get a chance at the #1 pick in the draft)

Sorry for getting off-topic. I can't wait for the WC!!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 06 Apr 2007, 03:49

rzadzinski wrote:Sorry, I forgot, I kind of stopped watching the Oilers play, so I stopped watching TV almost, except football of course. Man, last years run was amazing, now I can't watch an entire game, it almost tears me up...
Cry me a freakin' river.

I think as a Flyers fan I've earned the right to say that.
Click it

P.Nedved

Post by P.Nedved » 06 Apr 2007, 03:55

lol personaly, even though I do live in edmonton. I really dont care about the oilers. Or just hockey in general.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Apr 2007, 04:09

ajc wrote:
rzadzinski wrote:Sorry, I forgot, I kind of stopped watching the Oilers play, so I stopped watching TV almost, except football of course. Man, last years run was amazing, now I can't watch an entire game, it almost tears me up...
Cry me a freakin' river.

Hey, I know you guys have been at the bottom all year. But man, in like the last month, we've gone from being a playoff contender to almost as bad as the Flyers! That is bad!!! We've won like 2 or 3 games and lost 17 games since Smyth left. I don't think he would've made much difference since of all our injuries. But the Flyers had a bad whole season, it was expected after the first few weeks. In Edmonton, we were just playoff contenders and now we're in the dive for 5. I guess it was more shock then anything! :D

But hey ajc, me and you are in the same boat I guess. I'm no Oiler hardcore, but I still always enjoy the games. But not anymore sadly, I had to stop watching, and I am not in tune with anything in the NHL anymore. and P.Nedved, did you not care last year in our amazing run? :P It was really hard not to catch Oiler-mania here last year. I'm an average fan, but I do hope they turn it around. That reminds me! Someone at school today said that Robbie Schremp (remember that video on him), is making his NHL debut for the Oilers. I don't know if it's tonight or tomorrow though. :?
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

P.Nedved

Post by P.Nedved » 06 Apr 2007, 04:13

nope, I honestly did not care one bit. I mean I didnt even bother to watch game 7. I was outside in my yard kicking the ball around. So I guess this proves that not everyone in canada loves hockey :)

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Apr 2007, 04:14

I don't love it. But I do enjoy it...

Football over it any day!!!

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 06 Apr 2007, 12:49

ajc wrote:
Cry me a freakin' river.

Yeah, you have. Especially considering how the Flyers did last season. Finished 5th in their Conference with 101pts. Then this year, they are dead last in the league. Ouch.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 06 Apr 2007, 16:16

And last season they showed signs of winning the stanley cup. They had the longest road trip in the NHL of any team, 11 games long, and they went 10 wins 0 losses and 1 tie. I honestly thought they were going to win it all after that.

And look at the year before the strike, they lost to Tampa Bay in seven games in the Eastern Conference finals. They could've easily brought the first championship to Philadelphia in since 1980.

But the most frustrating part about all of this, is that after last season ended everyone knew that they had to make changes. Their defenseman were too slow. Everyone sat here waiting for Bobby Clarke to make a move and get 2-3 good, speedy defenseman, and he did absolutely nothing. That stagnation last summer was the real cause of how horrible they are, and it could've been so easily remedied of Bob Clarke got of his ass and picked up a few decent players. But then when they were terrible because of Clarke, Clarke goes and fires Ken Hitchcock (the coach) to use him as a scapegoat for his own mistakes. Hitchcock was a decent coach, and the only reason he got fired was so that Bob Clarke wouldn't look like the cause of all the problems.
Click it

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Apr 2007, 16:20

Yeah. I'm not sure how the points are right now. but I think the Oilers are 3rd from the bottom. It still amazes me about how not so long ago, we were still playoff contenders and people were optimistic here in Edmonton. The plague of injuries is just amazing. We also need to make quite a few moves to get back into form. There has been speculation that there might be a trade, not involving one of our 3 first round draft picks. So maybe a regular on the team is going to leave? I actually hope so. We need to shake something up, there's a bad taste about that dressing room right now.

P.S. Isn't it hilarious how a topic about the U-20 WC in Canada turns into a hockey discussion? :P

-Alexander Ovechkin