is the mls good?

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
sina
New User

is the mls good?

Post by sina » 18 Aug 2006, 18:36

i am a middle schooler living in america...i am obsessed with soccer and play at least two or three hours a day...i wish on becoming pro one day...and i am just wondering

is the mls bad or is it just not popular?
soccer is my life

J
Admin

Post by J » 19 Aug 2006, 04:58

I would definitely say it's just not popular.

The league itself is pretty skillful and most players are pretty strong. Alot of games are played at a pretty high pace. Most foreign players who first come into the league are suprised by how quick and physical the league is. The level of fitness of most players in the MLS is usually very good.

The league usually gets a 'bad name' because of how unpopular this sport is here in the United States.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 19 Aug 2006, 05:44

I would have to disagree with J

I have only watched one mls game, Dallas against Houston, and it was very sad to watch. The players made very stupid mistakes most of the time, and there was a big patch of dead grass on the field! The players were fast and fit but just didn't have the same tactical skill expected at a pro level. I feel bad that it is like this but it is. I really want football to become a good sport in the U.S., but it definitely isn't right now. Thanks for listening to my rant

J
Admin

Post by J » 19 Aug 2006, 05:58

iwannagopro wrote:and there was a big patch of dead grass on the field!
Stamford Bridge last year had a whole pitch that was all pretty much dead grass for part of the season. So I have no clue where you're going with that.

The MLS has a much worse image than what is really going on out on the pitch. It may lack the same tactical and technical skills that you would expect from a top league from time to time, but on average it is a pretty skilled league. Also, the fitness of the players can make up for alot of things at times.

Also, you mentioned a Dallas and Houston game you watched, which means the temperature on the field was probably about 100 degrees if not more there in Texas. That can make a huge impact on how players play. The MLS is one of the only leagues that plays during the warmest time of the year.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 19 Aug 2006, 08:43

You have some good points, but you have to agree that the lack of money is killing the mls too. They are pros playing on dead grass and the stadiums are super small, a bit bigger than a college stadium. But this really has noyhing to do with their skill.

I was biasing my opinion off of one game, so there is a high chance of it being just a bad game that I watched, but still, it was nighttime so it couldn't have been more than 90, probably 80-85, and heat should have nothing to do with technical skill. Anyways that's my debate against the almighty J :wink:

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 19 Aug 2006, 11:11

I don't know... in my opinion the MLS is a mediocre league. Their style reminds me of the lower-level UK/Irish divisions. They play direct football but move the ball rather slowly. But I do agree that, individually, most MLS players have good phisical qualities. Except for a few players, I don't think that the league is skillful at all.

But the biggest problem with the MLS, I feel, is that it's just not entertaining.

J
Admin

Post by J » 19 Aug 2006, 17:19

I used to think it was a pretty slow paced league with not skills really involved, but I ever since I watched a few U.S Open Cup games basically on the sideline last year, I was in shock as to how skillfull some of the players really were. You get a whole different perspective when you watch it from the sideline at ground level.

There are alot of foreigners in the league that bring up the skill level of the games. I'm not saying that the MLS is up there with like the Premiership or La liga, I'm just saying it's not all that crappy of a league like most people say it is. Most of the people that think it's a crap league have only watched a few games more than likely and never actually attended a game in person.

I probably have a bit of a biased opinion though because I follow the Revs pretty seriously and have been watching the league ever since it started.

milanese
Veteran Member

Post by milanese » 02 Nov 2006, 00:08

I've only watched a couple games, and i'd have to say that it's not anything special, but it's not terrible. But realisticaly they're still behind the better leagues around the world. There's a few pretty skillful players, and they seem to be in good shape.

~Dynamic_Dinamo~

Post by ~Dynamic_Dinamo~ » 02 Nov 2006, 00:50

The league is also missing star players or fan favorites that people can idolize.

10_of_spades
New User

Post by 10_of_spades » 02 Nov 2006, 02:00

The mls is like a lower middle class becuase this year in the Barcelona USA Tour, Barcelona tied the football games with Club America and Chivas from the Mexican Football Division, but Barcelona won thier last game in the U.S. agianst an MLS club 4-1, so i think the MLS needs to work harder to keep up with the other teams
"If you have a dream, you must give everything for that dream" - Ronaldinho

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 02 Nov 2006, 02:57

i think the problem that is killing the MLS is that it isnt profitable... SO far the MLS has lost $350 million. And just now are 3 clubs making some money, but not very much. Hopefully this will change since the MLS is making a tv rights deal for all of the games...

mrbeankid22

Post by mrbeankid22 » 10 Nov 2006, 02:37

Well the MLS isnt horrible but its not the best league either. Like J said when you go watch from the sidelines its really a different story. I had a field pass for all FC Dallas Games last year and I go down their next to the field and I'll tell you it was a completely different story.

The thing about the star players is that most of the good players don't want to come to a league that is not as well known and that pays less. I heard that some MLS players only get 30,000-50,000 a year.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 10 Nov 2006, 03:26

I don't think MLS is on par with the well-known european leagues, but it certainly has it's share of great players. Chris Henderson, Cobi Jones, and Alexi Lalas to name a couple.

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 10 Nov 2006, 17:10

It has potential but it is definately nowhere near the EPL. To be honest, the EPL is the only league I actually like. All other leagues just seem to slow and have a bunch of dancers in it. The EPL, is fastpaced, physical and interesting to watch.

Yeah but the MLS is really in its baby stage. They need to change some things (the draft etc.) and they should start lower league divisions.

J
Admin

Post by J » 10 Nov 2006, 19:07

KPatel wrote:and they should start lower league divisions.
We do have the USL which is pretty much a breeding ground (besides college) for future MLS players.