South Asian teams in the World Cup

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Soccer man
Sophomore Member

South Asian teams in the World Cup

Post by Soccer man » 30 Dec 2005, 05:31

Hi all

As you know that ia a south asian and love to play soccer. The reason i opened this thread is to ask that why is it that countires like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, China etc never got even close to winnin the world cup. The only teams i see going for the world cup from asia will either be a arab country or japenese or koreans.

So what are s.asian teams lacking?
Allo

R9KEvinR9
Veteran Member

Post by R9KEvinR9 » 30 Dec 2005, 05:43

Its not only Asian teams theres tons ( El Salvador :cry: ) but yeah its just discipline and that some players practice harder and have more talent is all. Mostly theres alot of Chemistry with a team that wins and dedication. And lets face it alot of teams like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, China etc dont have players playing in top notch leagues where they learn to play the right way and the competition is hard ass hell. Like Brasil every one in that Nat'l team plays in Europe where they learn to play to there fullest potential.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 30 Dec 2005, 11:45

Also, with the cases of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, the national sport is cricket - Hence they play that a LOT more. You find very few children playing football in their spare time, but many playing cricket. Hence they produce good players for one sport, and not the other.

Without good players, you're never going to win the World Cup. As for China... could it possibly be something to do with the sporting/politcal systems in place? They produce great gymnasts because they are trained from extraordinarily young ages... there has only recently been a surge in Chinese football players since the World Cup.

Is it possible China just doesn't get noticed on a footballing level, and without players coming to Europe (or playing in ANY decent league), they haven't a hope of winning a major trophy. Maybe there is potential... I don't know.

Soccer man
Sophomore Member

Post by Soccer man » 30 Dec 2005, 18:23

Magicfeet wrote:Also, with the cases of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, the national sport is cricket - Hence they play that a LOT more. You find very few children playing football in their spare time, but many playing cricket. Hence they produce good players for one sport, and not the other.
Yea but you see, in these countries cricket is the only sport most kids know. Even though they probabley play soccer and other games in their schools. They still play cricket. And it's supraising that no one actully cares about this. Too much cricket is'nt good, espically since it's not a team sport. :roll:
Allo

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 30 Dec 2005, 20:58

Cricket is a team sport however, and no offence to cricket fans, what is the fun of watching that nothing exciting ever seems to happen sort of like baseball. For me cricket is pointless, I understand rugby but crickiet, please...

Soccer man
Sophomore Member

Post by Soccer man » 30 Dec 2005, 21:08

peps1154 wrote:Cricket is a team sport however, and no offence to cricket fans, what is the fun of watching that nothing exciting ever seems to happen sort of like baseball. For me cricket is pointless, I understand rugby but crickiet, please...
Same here. Even though iam a pakistani i have never actully played cricket. I really don't see a point of hitting a hard ball with a stick. What kind of work out will i be getting out of it, and what kind of tricks will i be able to with it? Same with baseball. I don't hate these sports, it's just that i don't find anything interseting in these sports.
Allo

expert
Site Admin

Re: Why is'nt there are S.Asian team with a world cup under

Post by expert » 30 Dec 2005, 21:13

Soccer man wrote:ia a south asian and love to play soccer. The reason i opened this thread is to ask that why is it that countires like Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, China etc never got even close to winnin the world cup. The only teams i see going for the world cup from asia will either be a arab country or japenese or koreans.
Why aren't there any famous Eskimo tennis players? It's all because of institutions. Look at any country from football's G7: Germany, Brazil, Italy, France, England... They all have powerful clubs with superbly maintained youth systems.
In Asia, Korea was the first nation to start a professional football league. Japan followed soon after. Football may be popular in South Asia as a spectator sport, but without well-established institutions, they will not succeed on the international stage.

ronaldinho_barca
New User

Post by ronaldinho_barca » 24 May 2006, 15:07

im an indiana dn i really feel angry at the kind of situation here right now. cricket is no doubt the most popular sport in here but that's not what im angry about. the thing is there is absolutely no kind of development in any other sport. and thats really sorry to see bcoz even a below average cricketer probably earns a LOT, LOT more than what rajyavardhan singh rathore who won a silver at the olympics. another example of the kind of sponsorship and money that goes into the game is that sachin recently bagged a contract of 130 crores and he's not even fit to play. but it's not just the fault of cricket that it's so bad here. it's also bcoz of the high level of corruption that prevails in the sports admin. bodies. i saw on tv that some hockey players who were participating in a nat. tourney had to stay in trains as there was no other accomodation available(or rather MADE available). coming to football, the situation has improved somwhat as there is a lot more media coverage of the NFL than before and a major company like NIKE is now sponsoring the indian team's jersey. but it still lacks good admin. and proper grass roots level training. btw, the AIFF's president has been at his post for more than 10 years now and i dont think he's gona budge frpom there till he dies. also another major problem is that there are too many politicians at the helm of the sports admin bodies which is really bad as they scarcely think about the welfare of the sport. instead concentrate on as much money as they can take in for themselves.

i think that's the case in quite a lot of countries tho im not sure. deviating a lil, the scene in the southeast asian countries is much much better. proof of this that some epl teams came down to have a league kinda thing someyears bak.

anyway hope this situation improves. there's no dearth of talent in south asia. remember, india had qualified for the 1950 world cup but didnt play only bcoz they didnt have boots.
---------------------------------------------------
"O jogo bonito"

Soccer man
Sophomore Member

Post by Soccer man » 25 May 2006, 01:51

^
^
^
What's up buddy, and true, cricket is like the only thing people know in s-asia, but the fifa president is going to make this Football House soon in lahore,pakistan. Hopefully this will help the pakistani soccer palyers. I just learned that the national sport of pakistan and india is feild hockey :shock: and not cricket.
Allo

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 24 Jun 2006, 20:15

Asian football individual talent are almost comparable to Brasillians, espeically the poor countries if only they have more money to build better to educate footballers like in Brasil. So many political and economic problems in Asia never have chance to develope.

medved

Post by medved » 16 Aug 2006, 17:34

Money and coaching or money FOR coaching/minor league organisations etc.. is the main problem.

adnankhan
Veteran Member

Post by adnankhan » 09 Apr 2007, 02:00

i m bangladeshi......
i agree with every 1 but i think only thig that hold me us back is practice....
nobody really play soccer....they just mess with it until they play for a junior team at the age of 16 or 17.......and bangladesh,india,pakistan they r too poor to play soccer....because when i was in bangladesh i never herd of espical soccer boot.....only thing i her was take 300ruepe or take 400taka =10 $$$$ shoes......we had all fake addidas and nike ball only for dollar 3 or 4 ...............and we dont have practice......

and all the south asian county like bangladesh inda pakisatan they r consern about Education more than sports...like my family,,,,

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 09 Apr 2007, 03:43

That sucks, I feel for ya.

But as long as there is a ball, you can play. In Brazil, they don't have any nice shoes or balls to play with, they just play with anything they have.

Good Luck though.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Debdasmptr
New User

Post by Debdasmptr » 16 Mar 2010, 15:25

In India most of the people love to play cricket and watch cricket also and it also the same in Pakistan. So nobody give importance to soccer.

Rummandinho

Post by Rummandinho » 30 Mar 2010, 18:10

Bangladesh has a fast growing UG football now. I think we might reach somewhere in 5 years :D