08/09 season of A-league

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 09 Jan 2009, 06:19

To all you SydneyFC fans, you cant blame the way your season has gone on Aloisi. Yeah I know he missed those horrible chances against Perth, and a lot of others, and he's only scored 2 goals but he's not the only player in that squad whos having a bad season.
I would just like to draw attention to the fact that Adelaide United are on top of the table:D
i'd just like to draw attention to the fact that QLD are breathing down adelaide's neck
I'd just like to draw attention to the fact that Melbourne Victory have beaten both Adelaide and Queensland and are eyeing top spot on the ladder :D
i was just thinking to myself, why dont they play a-league matches on normal tv??? i know they get money from fox and all that, but AFL seems to be able to do it, along with the cricket so why not a-league??
I couldnt agree with you more. I'd like to see more football shown on normal TV. Just imagine if we would have had to pay to get foxtel just to watch the world cup in 06? They should play one match each round on normal tv, and I hope its something the A-league considers in the next few years, as there will be new teams in the league and more games to broadcast.
Sig by me

oscarjackson

Post by oscarjackson » 09 Jan 2009, 13:04

Had2bHarry wrote:I couldnt agree with you more. I'd like to see more football shown on normal TV. Just imagine if we would have had to pay to get foxtel just to watch the world cup in 06? They should play one match each round on normal tv, and I hope its something the A-league considers in the next few years, as there will be new teams in the league and more games to broadcast.

yea thanks, and i couldnt agree with you more about that
V V V
Had2bHarry wrote:I'd just like to draw attention to the fact that Melbourne Victory have beaten both Adelaide and Queensland and are eyeing top spot on the ladder :D

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 29 Jan 2009, 09:06

I suppose I go for Sydney but since Fowlers going to NQF, I am tempted to go for them. I really dont follow a team.

I reckon though if the Aleague expands it will just kill itself off like the NSL. It wont last. You can see the enthusiasm of it all dying.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 29 Jan 2009, 14:26

The A-league wont die out trust me. Its just not going to happen. Expansion will test the depth of our talent and the crowd attendances might thin out a bit across Queensland, but no way is it just going to die, I think you underestimate it abit.

I hope Fowler does come to the A-league, if he does theres no way I'm missing a single Victory home game against NQ. I get estatic when I think about a former legend from my favourite team in Europe coming to play in Aus.
Sig by me

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 01 Feb 2009, 08:00

Rumour has it Aloisi is to be loaned out to a Qatari team, or better yet sold. Quote the Sun-Herald this morning, along with Kossie getting the axe (fact!). Get a proper marquee in Bling FC! :wink:

Roy Keane's also been knocked back from taking over coaching duties at Sydney apparently, the board looking instead at a former Zenit St Petersburg fan-favourite and manager.

EDIT: At Anymi - expansion won't kill off the A-League at all, lest we continually expand at a rate in which there isn't enough public interest ala Rugby League expansion next season. The A-League competition was growing a bit stale with only 8 teams and a shorter season than most around the globe in more established regions footballing-wise. New teams like Gold Coast United, backed by the richest man in Queensland, Clive Palmer, have already pulled the likes of Jason Culina, and with North Queensland possibly (already?) bringing in Robbie Fowler, the question on everyone's lips now remains - "what next?". An extremely positive step in football cementing it's place among the footballing codes in Australia. :)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 01 Feb 2009, 21:43

Why would expansion kill a league? Thats stupid.

I hear Sydney FC have parted with Kossi (sp). I wonder if that Adam Hett (football superstar winner) will get to play for Sydney since the guy that brought him in is gone. Though he is still recovering from a knee injury.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 02 Feb 2009, 06:35

I read somewhere that he's starting light jogging or rehab or something, so he must be nearly fully recovered. I was disappointed when he got injured at the start of the season, because there were heaps of players injured and talk of him playing in the first team, and I was really looking forward to watching him. I'm not %100 sure if he'll get his contract renewed now that they've sacked Kozzie.

I was actually a bit disappionted that he got sacked, because now the new Sydney coach might not be able to fill his role as good as Kozzie on football superstar, they may not even show the series this year... :cry:
Sig by me

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 02 Feb 2009, 15:14

Had2bHarry wrote:I read somewhere that he's starting light jogging or rehab or something, so he must be nearly fully recovered. I was disappointed when he got injured at the start of the season, because there were heaps of players injured and talk of him playing in the first team, and I was really looking forward to watching him. I'm not %100 sure if he'll get his contract renewed now that they've sacked Kozzie.

I was actually a bit disappionted that he got sacked, because now the new Sydney coach might not be able to fill his role as good as Kozzie on football superstar, they may not even show the series this year... :cry:
Why did they sack him? Bad results?

I really liked football superstar, it was a good show. I hope Adam gets another contract, even if its only 6 months or something. He has talent, it wouldd be heart breaking if they just let him go.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 03 Feb 2009, 05:02

Yeah, I watched the whole series, there were probably thousands of boys there who tried out, pretty good ones too, so I imagine you'd have to be pretty special to win.

They sacked Kosmina, because Sydney are like Real Madrid, they're supposed to be the glamour club. If they dont win the championship then its considered a disastrous season. There were also reportedly some big rifts between him and some players. Also because Kosmina is a controversial character, who doesnt really represent the club well and has little to no respect for the opposition. Check this out:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=DMAbQHiGP ... re=related

Either way, if you look at the most successful clubs, Melbourne, Central coast, and Adelaide, they've all had thier off seasons. Its impossible to completely dominate the competition because its insanely tight. Theres little consistency in the A-league

Melbourne finished 7th in thier first season and the Melbourne fans wanted Merrick sacked, but the club kept faith with him; the next season he dominated the competition and thrashed Utd 6-0 in the grand final. They had another off season last year, we didnt go so well in the champions league, but this season we're officially the most successful club having won 2 premierships, 1 championship and the pre season cup.

And dont forget about Aurelio Vidmar. Adelaide finished 6th in 0708, but the owners kept faith and he lead them to the club world cup the championsleague final and now the finals series, so the key to success in the A-league is stability.
Sig by me

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 16 Feb 2009, 05:08

I thouroughly enjoyed the major semi final, especially the one at the Telstra Dome. I honestly dont think I've ever seen a more dominate performance by Melbourne. I'm tipping Queensland to win at Hindmarsh, Adelaide were shocking in the semi and with Vidmars comments etc, they are going in with no momentum.
Sig by me

terminator

Post by terminator » 16 Feb 2009, 07:38

I think the A-league needs to incorporate some kinda relegation/promotion system with the state league teams all around the country...Imagine how great tht wud be!
Or maybe some kinda F.A cup style tournament...
its going to get boring if its the same teams competing against each other yr in and yr out!

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 16 Feb 2009, 08:35

I dont think promotion relegation will ever be introduced.

For starters, no other top flight sport league in Australia has it. Australias also a large country, but with a low population density, so theres alot of travel, and not much depth in the state leagues for them to be able to afford flying around the country, and not enough supporters.

Its not that boring, anyway the Gold coast are coming into the league and so are Queensland, cant wait for that, plus (possibly) a second Melbourne team, South coast side, Western Sydney, Canberra side, so still more to come.
Sig by me

terminator

Post by terminator » 16 Feb 2009, 11:18

But why not like a cup kinda thing....just a one time travel...not week in and week out.
It could be like all the champions of all the state leagues of victoria,nsw,queensland etc all come to melbourne for example and they play against the champion of the A-league. That will be pretty amazing and will also lengthen the season and more matches to broadcast!

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 16 Feb 2009, 13:14

no happenin coz there are bigger cups to be taken care of in Australia...

terminator

Post by terminator » 16 Feb 2009, 14:03

"no happenin coz there are bigger cups to be taken care of in Australia..."
Sorry I am new to australia...so like wt other cups?