U.S. Women National Team - Women's Soccer

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World

How many of you actually watch Women's soccer?

Whenever I can!!!1shift-one
21%
Sometimes.
32%
During the Women's World Cup.
21%
Never.
26%

Total votes: 19

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 21 Jul 2008, 18:50

Real_Zidane wrote:That's very ignorant of you, BuzzingBee.
How so? I'm not saying men suck ,I'm saying that women can be equal,on the contrary you are the one being ignorant ,with your previous post,your basically implying that they cant
Yeah? But doesn't every pro lack something no one can be like perfect amazing at a sport everyone can improve something always,you know that's why we are just humans,how nice of you to point that out in women when it comes down to that.Would you like me to point out the many flaws of the male species now?
Yes no one is perfect, but the gap in the WNBA and NBA is huge. If the top WNBA team were to go against the top NBA team, they'd get their asses handed to them.

Yeah? I think i know that well enough,I can honestly say I don't know much about basketball,but i thought that response was a bit unfair,again,my point is proven.
Oh okay,its because,instead of prancing around in bikinis were running around in baggy t-shirts and shorts.
It has nothing to do with that, you're saying all men want to see are women in bikini's, Rome_Leader clearly said he has "Nothing against the drive, determination or sacrifices of these women." Who's the one stereotyping now?

Your telling me that it has nothing to do with that? are you kidding me its one of the main reasons,a lot of young boys say "girls suck" and alot of the reasons women get beat,raped and murdered. I'm stereotyping right? because based on the some of the forum posts that's what many of you think and see us as,an object,also i loved the fact he just said in such a patronizing manner,that's whats aggravating me the most.
but you think that we will never be up to part with you guys in the sport huh?
He never said Women's sports would never be up to par with Men's. But you have to face the facts, Men's and Women's bodies are different, each are capable of different things.
Yeah they are different,funny of you to say that now right after your previous posts and yes ill face the facts,boys are fast and strong because of the testosterone and the way their bodies are built.Yes, that's fine i can accept that,but I'm not going about in a manner saying oh well,"women cant succeed in soccer because they are girls" and your right i haven't seen many in NFL and all that ,but with that attitude towards it ,and the comments you are making are sexist for one,and are discouraging. Shifty FSU just proved my point,once again.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 21 Jul 2008, 19:00

Yeah US women play some of the best women's soccer in the world.

BuzzingBee, what do you mean by "succeed in soccer"? Women haven't "succeeded in soccer" (vs. men) simply because of the differences that come with being women. Anything is possible of course. No one here is discriminating because of gender, they're just voicing their opinion on athleticism. It is my opinion that women will never play professionally with men, this may be for many reasons, it is my opinion. I think this thread has downgraded to the point of comparing a man's athletic ability with a woman's. And Shifty you could probably school me, no joke...lol.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 21 Jul 2008, 19:11

and the comments you are making are sexist for one,and are discouraging. Shifty FSU just proved my point,once again.
What comments have I made that are sexist? I really want to hear this. If this is discouraging, you should know not everything is going to be easy, you shouldn't listen to people telling you "you can't do this you can't do that" including me. I'm sorry if I upset you but you can't prove the fact women's football is just as good as men's in the public's eye.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 21 Jul 2008, 19:26

Real_Zidane wrote:
and the comments you are making are sexist for one,and are discouraging. Shifty FSU just proved my point,once again.
What comments have I made that are sexist? I really want to hear this. If this is discouraging, you should know not everything is going to be easy, you shouldn't listen to people telling you "you can't do this you can't do that" including me. I'm sorry if I upset you but you can't prove the fact women's football is just as good as men's in the public's eye.[/quote
This isn't,just directly at you ,you know,and I'm not saying its discouraging me I'm just saying,with attitudes like that,it will definitely discourage young aspiring female athletes,and yes i can,take Mia Hamm for an example. she is the best of the best,and is up to par with David Beckham,so there for i can say it is,its just not given enough credit,do too "sexist views" like that,in fact women's football is booming. and your right Nat_H this is all about opinions,so here's mine,i think most of you are being sexist,there for i will defend my rights as a young woman,especially with those degrading comments
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 19:35

BuzzingBee wrote:
Real_Zidane wrote:
This isn't,just directly at you ,you know,and I'm not saying its discouraging me I'm just saying,with attitudes like that,it will definitely discourage young aspiring female athletes,and yes i can,take Mia Hamm for an example. she is the best of the best,and is up to par with David Beckham,so there for i can say it is,its just not given enough credit,do too "sexist views" like that,in fact women's football is booming. and your right Nat_H this is all about opinions,so here's mine,i think most of you are being sexist,there for i will defend my rights as a young woman,especially with those degrading comments
You go buzzingbee. Women's football is booming, there even starting a womens pro league (yeah they had one before but this time it has more backing). Steve Nash of the NBA is even behind it (I believe he's giving money and stuff).

I can't wait to hear what shifty has to say. She's gotten to a really high level, probably the highest out of anyone on this site. It's not easy playing for the Liverpool u16 girls academy but she did it, she beat out like 84 other girls to get a spot on the team. Yeah shes a girl but do you see any guys having trials at clubs for their academies no.

And I don't know for sure because I haven't spoken about it to her but I believe Soccer4life was spotted by the u21 girls coach.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 21 Jul 2008, 21:56

Ouch, that hurts BB. R_Z is right though, that is simply more stereotypical nonsense. I get the feeling you bypassed half my points in that post and simply formulated your own opinion about me from my comments on the issue. You never had a problem with me before, until now, and I can't understand it. All men are not sexists, all men are not out for looks. Men tend to be blunt with things they say. Perhaps I was a little too blunt. I could've said nothing when you told me about R_Z's comments, but I figured it was better to get my stand on the matter out of the way sooner rather then later, and I thought you would understand. I guess not. I'll learn sooner or later to keep my mouth shut in future situations.

I realize how much women's sports are, and how much it hurts to hear us say these things about your passion. If it were me, and someone was talking that way about my sport, I'd be a little pissed too. But look. Nobody ever doubted the athletes or how good they can be. I know all too well of Mia Hamm & crew, and at what a high level they play. But again, as an average, men's sports are more technically refined. It's nothing against you, women or women's sports in general. You just have to watch them side by side and see the disparity. These women have done a lot, and, that user or whatever who made it to the LFC Ladies academy has too. But you admitted yourself a male of the same level would always come out trumps in a competition. This is why the MALE dominated TV market gears its opinion and viewership towards the male sports. Them's the hard facts.

Go for it. (Pointing out the flaws of the male 'species') I will be the first to admit men are far from perfect, and are probably worse off then women... :p Why do you suppose his response was unfair? Celtics vs. the San Antonio Silver Stars would be a decimation of epic proportions. They may be the best of their particular division, which is fine, and certainly an accomplishment, but it's big fish/little pond.

Just like a college team vs. the worst pro team. People always go 'Oh, LSU or Ohio State would DESTROY the Miami Dolphins' but they forget... The Miami Dolphins, however suckish, are made up entirely of OUTSTANDING college players. Half of LSU won't even make it to the draft.

I'm not trying to patronize you; I'm sorry if it sounds that way too. But I don't know what else to do. What do you want me to say? I've said what I've said and I can't say I can take them back, or that I didn't mean it. I'm only trying to patch up today for a better tomorrow.

I can't apologize enough for my comments, really, as I feel it has damaged our friendship beyond repair. You don't respond to me the same any more. You, more then anyone though, have to understand I can't simply flip flop my view point. I stand firm in what I said, but I DO apologize because of how angry it made you, and how unfair it was to you. I'm sorry. Does that at least dignify a response?

That's a bit ignorant, AFC. Of course there are guys getting trials for their clubs. If we're talking here, isn't ScottyBoy in the Rangers academy?

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 22:14

Rome_Leader wrote:That's a bit ignorant, AFC. Of course there are guys getting trials for their clubs. If we're talking here, isn't ScottyBoy in the Rangers academy?
yeah scottyboy is in the rangers academy. i'm just saying that shes in the academy and a lot of guys talk about being really good and how they could play in an academy but there not getting tirals. Maybe its an exposure thing. I'm just saying its good that Shifty is representing and getting to a higher level in girls football. It's not easy for anyone boy or girl to get into an academy.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 21 Jul 2008, 22:15

arsenalfc08 wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:That's a bit ignorant, AFC. Of course there are guys getting trials for their clubs. If we're talking here, isn't ScottyBoy in the Rangers academy?
yeah scottyboy is in the rangers academy. i'm just saying that shes in the academy and a lot of guys talk about being really good and how they could play in an academy but there not getting tirals. Maybe its an exposure thing. I'm just saying its good that Shifty is representing and getting to a higher level in girls football. It's not easy for anyone boy or girl to get into an academy.
No, it's not easy, and yeah, it's good. Nowhere did anyone say that wasn't an accomplishment. I agree.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

ultimate_defender

Post by ultimate_defender » 21 Jul 2008, 22:43

Wow. I asked a simple question and got quite a few replies....then it turned into the battle of the sexes. Okay Uhh. (Rant Warning)

Nat_H wrote:Well it's a well-established fact that men are the "stronger" sex. I have no doubts that there are great women athletes. They are even better than men in some sports. But look at it this way, why don't women play in the NFL? For obvious reasons. Soccer is a waaaay less physical sport but is still a contact sport nonetheless. Not many women could play competitively with men in a professional soccer league, simply because they could not keep up physically. It's a fact of life and I see no reason in calling it sexist or anybody getting upset about it.
Nat_H google "WNFL". The reason why women play sports separately isn't because of a lack of skill it's because all other sports are separated based on Physiology, and I feel i don't need to explain how boys and girls are built differently.

Real_Zidane wrote:Here are my problems with Women's soccer (I'm not doing this just to do it; it's my opinion):

1. It's slooooww.
2. The level isn't nearly as good as mens. That includes, pace, technique, and just athletic fitness.
3. It's never on TV.
4. No one else cares.

I'm all for the US being great but I think the reason why no one watches it is because why settle for something lesser when you could watch an overall better experience watching the mens game?
In Response to #1 & #2: I think it depends on what teams your looking at. Being from America I watch Alot of MLS and Mexican club soccer. (No Offense to Mexican Clubs) I think our girls would own most teams.

In Response to 3: That's Valid. I watch most of my European games online. (I don't have Cable/satellite) It's there if You look for it. Soccer in America hasn't been promoted very well until recently and the female aspect of the sport is no exemption.

In Response To 4: That's my question. As a fan of soccer, shouldn't you?

arsenalfc08 wrote:first this thread and now the bashing of our guys thread. I'm really feeling the hate for the girls around here. I know theres only 4 of us but i'm feeling really outnumbered. I like this site but damn wheres the respect for women.
I created this Thread because I typed "women" in the search bar 2 days ago and all got was "Which Country Got The Sexiest Women???" I typed "Girls" and i saw stuff about relationships.

I made this thread because nowhere else in this forum does it seriously discuss Womens Soccer.

With that said, allow me to reiterate the question to get the discussion back on topic.

---You. As a Fan of Soccer (Football), why do you/don't you watch Women's soccer. What do you like/what do you dislike about it. What would you like to see?---
arsenalfc08 wrote:For women its basically play club (you never hear about top women club teams its all about boys like chicago magic and the texans, there isn't even a girls development academy), college, semi-pro, maybe national team and make sh*t money. What i'm trying to say is I don't think theres much development in the womens game especially at the higher level. I don't know if i'm making much sense but basically womens football gets the shaft compared to men because its women playing, but nothing really is being done to improve it. Yes a womens league is forming but there used to be one and it folded.
I wasn't aware there weren't any womens development academies. but I have faith they'll start a few academies as soccer is brought more into the public's conscience. Heck, The first 2? Major soccer programs in the U.S. failed because they went about marketing and managing it all wrong. I have faith that Women's leagues well gain more attention.

moaoui21 wrote:Whenever its on and when Im not doing anything else I will watch it..
Tho I did watch the womens world cup last year. And I think Hope Solo is pretty hot :)
I missed the world cup last year...and wow, you're right. she is pretty hot.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 23:13

Thank you for your reply ultimate_defender it is much appereciated.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 21 Jul 2008, 23:18

I created this Thread because I typed "women" in the search bar 2 days ago and all got was "Which Country Got The Sexiest Women???" I typed "Girls" and i saw stuff about relationships.

I made this thread because nowhere else in this forum does it seriously discuss Womens Soccer

Yeah,its nice to see,that people like you are actually taking it seriously
I wasn't aware there weren't any women's development academies. but I have faith they'll start a few academies as soccer is brought more into the public's conscience. Heck, The first 2? Major soccer programs in the U.S. failed because they went about marketing and managing it all wrong. I have faith that Women's leagues well gain more attention.
That's cool i respect that, i don't need faith,i already know it,regardless of personal matters.I stay true to my word,and I'm holding my ground firmly,look at this way ArsenalFc08 and others ,Many women in the past have fought for our rights and had the price to pay,and many female athletes have put a mark on maps and I'm not just about to go and say women haven't accomplished anything because they damn well have and and as a female i am happy to say,I'm glad they represent us and how i will represent what they worked so hard for.Its about time you guys see that us women have taken nothing and made into something and take this matter seriously.

BuzzingBee's at it again

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 21 Jul 2008, 23:24

This may be off topic but I am still gonna ask. Are the Womens National Team jerseys supposed to be really tight cause I have one and it is really snug around my tummy (don't ask why I have a womens jersey it is a long story, well it's not that long I just don't want to tell it.)

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 23:26

John_Bob wrote:This may be off topic but I am still gonna ask. Are the Womens National Team jerseys supposed to be really tight cause I have one and it is really snug around my tummy (don't ask why I have a womens jersey it is a long story, well it's not that long I just don't want to tell it.)
I'm sorry JB I can't help but laugh a little. Um well its shaped for women's body so i'm assuming it would be a little snug around the tummy depending on the size of the jersey. Are you talking more around the chest area or actually stomach?

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 21 Jul 2008, 23:35

arsenalfc08 wrote:
John_Bob wrote:This may be off topic but I am still gonna ask. Are the Womens National Team jerseys supposed to be really tight cause I have one and it is really snug around my tummy (don't ask why I have a womens jersey it is a long story, well it's not that long I just don't want to tell it.)
I'm sorry JB I can't help but laugh a little. Um well its shaped for women's body so i'm assuming it would be a little snug around the tummy depending on the size of the jersey. Are you talking more around the chest area or actually stomach?
Okay, if you were to imagine a jersey that fit fine on me the only problem is that it is tight at my stomach area. The actual chest area is fine (probably due to the bust size differential between me and a women.) Also, it is size XXL. And I can't sell it or give it away because it was a gift from my grandmother.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 23:40

John_Bob wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:
Okay, if you were to imagine a jersey that fit fine on me the only problem is that it is tight at my stomach area. The actual chest area is fine (probably due to the bust size differential between me and a women.) Also, it is size XXL. And I can't sell it or give it away because it was a gift from my grandmother.
aww well i don't know if you could do anything in terms of letting it out in the stomach area or anything. My only idea is taking it to a seamstress or someone you know that sews (if anyone) and seeing if they have any suggestions.