U.S. Women National Team - Women's Soccer

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World

How many of you actually watch Women's soccer?

Whenever I can!!!1shift-one
21%
Sometimes.
32%
During the Women's World Cup.
21%
Never.
26%

Total votes: 19

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 20 Jul 2008, 23:52

While women's soccer is slower and generally the players are less skillful the passion for the game remains the same and for that reason I support women's football. I also have noticed that the teamwork and camaraderie is on a different level then men's soccer. The players just seem to work better together in my opinion.
Last edited by John_Bob on 21 Jul 2008, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 20 Jul 2008, 23:57

I got level with you, BB and others... I have nothing but respect for women athletes and their sports... But I do find it rather painful to watch.

Let's take the WNBA. In women's basketball, there are all of three women who can dunk the ball. Now, this is not a problem. Nobody ever said you needed to dunk to be good or entertaining. Ask Iverson, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, etc. But, if you lacked majorly in an area such as dunking, do you think it would be made up somewhere else?

This is what I first expected of women's basketball. Rare dunks, but VERY solid fundamentals. But some of these girls... They cannot shoot the basketball. They are professionals, and yet some take their shots very rudimentary. Elbows out, bending of the knees... Everything you are told not to do as a kid. Why do they do this? Because they have to. They grew up being the best amongst them, and played with the guys.

They altered their shots permanently so as to compete with the guys and actually get their shots off. But that is a problem, because it has destroyed their fundamentals in some cases. Now, you find the odd person who is a star/can shoot (I.E.: Candace Parker.) But they themselves are embarrassed with these other women who are worse then themselves, and sometimes wish they could integrate into the men's league for true competition. Anyway... I sound more like a dick every second. :p

That's how I feel, anyway. Nothing against the drive, determination or sacrifices of these women... But the way they play their sport is so different, so... Not exciting for men to watch. I dunno how it is with women watching other women, maybe they enjoy it. Personal choice, I don't judge.

But Zidane... That is idiocy. they are fit, and people do care. It is on TV, just at the rate of say, classic sports are, and sports such as cricket that receive U.S. TV coverage. Nobody said cricket wasn't a good sport, or have some appeal. But the general US market doesn't much care for it in stead of other sports, such as men's soccer or basketball. Just like women's soccer.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 21 Jul 2008, 15:25

Rome_Leader wrote:But Zidane... That is idiocy. they are fit, and people do care. It is on TV, just at the rate of say, classic sports are, and sports such as cricket that receive U.S. TV coverage. Nobody said cricket wasn't a good sport, or have some appeal. But the general US market doesn't much care for it in stead of other sports, such as men's soccer or basketball. Just like women's soccer.
Alright, fair point. I'm just going off of my exposure to women's soccer (which isn't that much, mind you). I have probably seen 2 full games of womens soccer at the national level because I never see it played on tv. I'm not trying to be sexist, but what I did see was very dull (it was the US national team). I know people care, but not nearly enough to make it a fun, passionate sport to watch imo. I would love to see the women's game take off and watch the women get as much credit as men but for the reasons I stated earlier, it's not going to happen at least for a few years.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Post by AmericanFutballer » 21 Jul 2008, 16:52

Yea, I recently saw the US girl team vs. Brazil and it was a decent match. I just find all American Soccer frustrating because of the way they play tho. But hey, it's coming around. They def should get more media attention tho because they are a good team and they represent the US around the world.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 21 Jul 2008, 17:23

Rome_Leader wrote:I got level with you, BB and others... I have nothing but respect for women athletes and their sports... But I do find it rather painful to watch.
Leveling with me? yeah,don't think so..hmm..no..not really..painful because were not little video ho's dancing and shaking our ass on a large screen on TV :evil:
Let's take the WNBA. In women's basketball, there are all of three women who can dunk the ball. Now, this is not a problem. Nobody ever said you needed to dunk to be good or entertaining. Ask Iverson, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, etc. But, if you lacked majorly in an area such as dunking, do you think it would be made up somewhere else?
Yeah? But doesn't every pro lack something no one can be like perfect amazing at a sport everyone can improve something always,you know that's why we are just humans,how nice of you to point that out in women when it comes down to that.Would you like me to point out the many flaws of the male species now?
This is what I first expected of women's basketball. Rare dunks, but VERY solid fundamentals. But some of these girls... They cannot shoot the basketball. They are professionals, and yet some take their shots very rudimentary. Elbows out, bending of the knees... Everything you are told not to do as a kid. Why do they do this? Because they have to. They grew up being the best amongst them, and played with the guys.
Of course you would expect that,expect less,because yet you guys still think you are superior to women,when the fact is,you guys came out of one,lovely little world isn't it,where women are always frowned upon and usually have a lower ranking,what a lovely thing status heirarchy can be?
They altered their shots permanently so as to compete with the guys and actually get their shots off. But that is a problem, because it has destroyed their fundamentals in some cases. Now, you find the odd person who is a star/can shoot (I.E.: Candace Parker.) But they themselves are embarrassed with these other women who are worse then themselves, and sometimes wish they could integrate into the men's league for true competition. Anyway... I sound more like a dick every second. :p
Okay so basically your saying,who cares if we sacrifice all that? well never be up to par to "men" because we lack something called gender? that's real nice. :twisted:

That's how I feel, anyway. Nothing against the drive, determination or sacrifices of these women... But the way they play their sport is so different, so... Not exciting for men to watch. I dunno how it is with women watching other women, maybe they enjoy it. Personal choice, I don't judge.
Oh okay,its because,instead of prancing around in bikinis were running around in baggy t-shirts and shorts. Your all for girls playing sports huh? but you think that we will never be up to part with you guys in the sport huh?women watching women?what a fu**ing nice way to put it, is there something wrong with it? face it all guys are sexist,in one way or another :roll:
But the general US market doesn't much care for it in stead of other sports, such as men's soccer or basketball. Just like women's soccer.
Yepp your right,of course they don't,my point proven,ooooooh la la what a fu**ing surprise. :roll:
Anyway... I sound more like a dick every second.
Yeah,you are :x,Tell you what im fu**ing sick of this sh*t.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 17:40

News Flash Girls can play and are damn good.

Look at Abby Wamback 99 goals in 126 apperances thats beyone amazing. Girls have had to fight just to play this sport and others thats why title 9 was created. Equal opportunities in sports for women. Women can now play ice hockey, soccer, lacrosse, etc at a high level (college and beyond).

I just don't think some of you guys (not all theres some guys who are great, Croatianblood, John_Bob) can deal with the fact that a girl may be better than you in some area like fitness, self discipline, shooting, or whatever. Look at Shifty_FSU, great example. I think shes gone the farthest in terms of the sport on this site, shes playing for the u16 liverpool ladies academy! She beat out tons of girls to make it.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 21 Jul 2008, 17:48

Well it's a well-established fact that men are the "stronger" sex. I have no doubts that there are great women athletes. They are even better than men in some sports. But look at it this way, why don't women play in the NFL? For obvious reasons. Soccer is a waaaay less physical sport but is still a contact sport nonetheless. Not many women could play competitively with men in a professional soccer league, simply because they could not keep up physically. It's a fact of life and I see no reason in calling it sexist or anybody getting upset about it.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 21 Jul 2008, 18:01

That's very ignorant of you, BuzzingBee.
Yeah? But doesn't every pro lack something no one can be like perfect amazing at a sport everyone can improve something always,you know that's why we are just humans,how nice of you to point that out in women when it comes down to that.Would you like me to point out the many flaws of the male species now?
Yes no one is perfect, but the gap in the WNBA and NBA is huge. If the top WNBA team were to go against the top NBA team, they'd get their asses handed to them.
Oh okay,its because,instead of prancing around in bikinis were running around in baggy t-shirts and shorts.
It has nothing to do with that, you're saying all men want to see are women in bikini's, Rome_Leader clearly said he has "Nothing against the drive, determination or sacrifices of these women." Who's the one stereotyping now?
but you think that we will never be up to part with you guys in the sport huh?
He never said Women's sports would never be up to par with Men's. But you have to face the facts, Men's and Women's bodies are different, each are capable of different things.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 18:10

Nat_H wrote:Well it's a well-established fact that men are the "stronger" sex. I have no doubts that there are great women athletes. They are even better than men in some sports. But look at it this way, why don't women play in the NFL? For obvious reasons. Soccer is a waaaay less physical sport but is still a contact sport nonetheless. Not many women could play competitively with men in a professional soccer league, simply because they could not keep up physically. It's a fact of life and I see no reason in calling it sexist or anybody getting upset about it.
I don't know any girl who would want to play in the NFL. American football doesn't appeal to me one bit. I know girls who could stand up to guys, one girl I know was on the schools wrestling team to keep in shape for her judo (nationally ranked by the way), no one had a problem with that, she was good and could really hold her own.

I know girls who play rugby and get just as bruised up as the boys who play american football if not more bruised.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 18:20

first this thread and now the bashing of our guys thread. I'm really feeling the hate for the girls around here. I know theres only 4 of us but i'm feeling really outnumbered. I like this site but damn wheres the respect for women.
Last edited by arsenalfc08 on 21 Jul 2008, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 21 Jul 2008, 18:22

Well of course afc08, there's probably lots of girls who could kick my butt in a fight. What I'm saying, simply, is that women in general are physically weaker than men. So if I took the same amount of judo training and weight lifting/etc. as that girl, then I would beat her. I understand that girls enjoy the challenge of playing competitive and physical sports with guys. They may even be good, or great at it. But it's just really tough, and obviously easier to play in a women's league. Of course physique isn't the only factor in determining athletic ability, but in a contact sport such as soccer, it's just really tough to keep up with a physical disadvantage, so you have to compensate with extraordinary skill. I think you understand what I'm trying to say.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 21 Jul 2008, 18:24

Nat_H wrote:Well of course afc08, there's probably lots of girls who could kick my butt in a fight. What I'm saying, simply, is that women in general are physically weaker than men. So if I took the same amount of judo training and weight lifting/etc. as that girl, then I would beat her. I understand that girls enjoy the challenge of playing competitive and physical sports with guys. They may even be good, or great at it. But it's just really tough, and obviously easier to play in a women's league. Of course physique isn't the only factor in determining athletic ability, but in a contact sport such as soccer, it's just really tough to keep up with a physical disadvantage, so you have to compensate with extraordinary skill. I think you understand what I'm trying to say.
I don't think so, this girl is like amazing. She regulary beats men her age and older. She fights against other women but mostly trains with men. I play on a coed team and my teammates treat everyone the same. They don't go easy on the girls becacuse their "weaker" they go into a takcle just like I would full on and not holding back.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 21 Jul 2008, 18:29

arsenalfc08 wrote:first this thread and now the bashing of our guys thread. I'm really feeling the hate for the girls around here. I know theres only 4 of us but i'm feeling really outnumbered. I like this site but damn wheres the respect for women.
It's not that we don't hate women playing football, I was giving my opinion to the question that was asked in this thread. Women are better than men in lots of things, but at the highest level of football, there's no comparison. If you can't see that then I don't know what to say. Also, don't think I'm saying every guy is better than every girl at football, i'm just saying at the top level men are better than women. If you owned Liverpool, would you rather have Fernando Torres as a striker, or the US Women's leading goal scorer?

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Post by Nat_H » 21 Jul 2008, 18:35

Afc08, are you talking about wrestling or judo? Regardless, they both require a level of skill and technique, both of which she has apparently mastered and uses to beat men she fights. Like I said, women can be great athletes, it is just difficult to excel with a physical disadvantage. Anyways, I can't think of any coed professional sport, other than golf.

Yes I think that women could be competitive and play well in their own soccer league. Yes I enjoy watching women's soccer. Do I think that women could play in the MLS...hasn't been done yet, and don't think it will.

Shifty_FSU
Veteran Member

Post by Shifty_FSU » 21 Jul 2008, 18:49

Womens soccer is improving rapidly, here in england the standard of youth development is amazing with some youth teams training with the seniors. In my opinion women are very dedicated to the sport as most players have to juggle jobs and football ( you know, as there not being payed a million bucks per game :/ Many international players are still paying off debts from the world cup, england women were payed just £40 per week or something and probably reached futher than the men would ever get in a competition :P ) as well as going through the hassle they get from the majority of selfish immature guys.
I don't know about other countries but soon, I think England women will have better home grown talent compared to the men as they rely on buying talented men from abroad.

Minus the scientific reasons that men will be better at football, women can be just as skillfull, talented, passionate etc as any other guy. If you disagree, come on down here so I can kick your ass 8)
Or beat you in footy/ soccer :P
Fight for the name on the front, n they'll remember the name on the back.

http://pitch.co/entry/46412
^Vote please? :)