U.S. Women National Team - Women's Soccer

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World

How many of you actually watch Women's soccer?

Whenever I can!!!1shift-one
21%
Sometimes.
32%
During the Women's World Cup.
21%
Never.
26%

Total votes: 19

ultimate_defender

U.S. Women National Team - Women's Soccer

Post by ultimate_defender » 19 Jul 2008, 20:00

I must confess i've only recently started watching Women's soccer because i think Carli Lloyd is hot.

But I don't understand why my friends (who are avid fans of soccer) don't watch women's soccer (girls included). Especially since the U.S. has a kick azz WNT.

Why do you think that is?

moaoui21
Sophomore Member

Post by moaoui21 » 19 Jul 2008, 21:10

Whenever its on and when Im not doing anything else I will watch it..
Tho I did watch the womens world cup last year. And I think Hope Solo is pretty hot :)

John_Bob
Veteran Member

Post by John_Bob » 19 Jul 2008, 21:15

I watch the womens national team whenever they are on. And, Hope Solo is pretty hot, she was at one my tournaments and I got to meet her. :D

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 19 Jul 2008, 23:55

I watch the wnt and the mens. In the fall I watched the womens world cup even though the games came on at crazy times. It didn't matter though as some days I had early college classes so getting up early was ok with me (I know it sounds crazy lol)

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 20 Jul 2008, 00:01

arsenalfc08 wrote:I watch the wnt and the mens. In the fall I watched the womens world cup even though the games came on at crazy times. It didn't matter though as some days I had early college classes so getting up early was ok with me (I know it sounds crazy lol)
Haha, yeah I would wake up early too for college classes so I was able to catch some of the Women's World Cup last year. It wasn't bad and I have to say that I did enjoy watching it. Football is football to me.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 20 Jul 2008, 00:03

I'm not gonna lie I've never seen a professional women's soccer game. Ever. It's probably cuz they never show it on TV or anything like that. The only thing I know is Arsenal LFC is pretty good.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 20 Jul 2008, 02:09

Hope Solo is pretty hot, I'd never even heard of her until I read this thread, though. I've watched some of the games from the Brandi Chastain-Mia Hamm era national team, but none lately.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 20 Jul 2008, 03:43

I like wnt but it doesn't get a lot of attention (well mnt doesn't either in terms of regular news/espn in my opinion). Except for the Solo v Scurry incident against Brazil in the WC. For those who don't know the then coach replaced Solo (who had been doing really well) with the veteran Scurry (who hadn't played in a while). The usa lost like 4-0 and Solo went on a media rampage lol. She said some things that upset her teammates but she had every right to be mad (in my opinion). The coach something with Ryan was fired and the new coach I believe is some Swedish women.

Her teammates had forgiven her but she said it wasn't easy. She said she basically "faked it tell she made it" in terms of gaining back their respect and still playing with a smile even though some of her teammates may still have been mad at her.

Solo did play in the recent friendly against Brazil and kept a clean sheet.

Also is anyone cares the leading scorer Wambach (99 goals in 126 apperances) broke her leg in the Brazil friendly so she'll miss the olympics

Heather Mitts is from my area. She does a soccer camp every year for girls. I never went but its cool that she comes back and does stuff for the girls in the area.

fawver15

Post by fawver15 » 20 Jul 2008, 11:58

I only get into it whether or not is is convent for me to watch,I won't change my plans or get out of school early for a WMT game but I do for games like the UCL

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 20 Jul 2008, 19:07

Here are my problems with Women's soccer (I'm not doing this just to do it; it's my opinion):

1. It's slooooww.
2. The level isn't nearly as good as mens. That includes, pace, technique, and just athletic fitness.
3. It's never on TV.
4. No one else cares.

I'm all for the US being great but I think the reason why no one watches it is because why settle for something lesser when you could watch an overall better experience watching the mens game?

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 20 Jul 2008, 19:49

I'm sorry Real_Zidane but u just F***ed urself :P , prepare to be destroyed.

I watch it sometimes like the last Brazil vs. US friendly but not very often.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 20 Jul 2008, 21:49

2brown347 wrote:I'm sorry Real_Zidane but u just F***ed urself :P , prepare to be destroyed.

How so? :?

I gave an honest opinion to a question that was asked...

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

Post by BGbeast23 » 20 Jul 2008, 22:25

Real_Zidane wrote:
2brown347 wrote:I'm sorry Real_Zidane but u just F***ed urself :P , prepare to be destroyed.

How so? :?

I gave an honest opinion to a question that was asked...
He means all the girls here are gonna rip you apart, not in a good way :P .

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 20 Jul 2008, 22:53

Real_Zidane wrote:Here are my problems with Women's soccer (I'm not doing this just to do it; it's my opinion):

1. It's slooooww.
2. The level isn't nearly as good as mens. That includes, pace, technique, and just athletic fitness.
3. It's never on TV.
4. No one else cares.

I'm all for the US being great but I think the reason why no one watches it is because why settle for something lesser when you could watch an overall better experience watching the mens game?
Look at it this way, mens soccer can go in different directions, you can play club, college and go pro. You can play club and then go pro and make crazy money.

For women its basically play club (you never hear about top women club teams its all about boys like chicago magic and the texans, there isn't even a girls development academy), college, semi-pro, maybe national team and make sh*t money. What i'm trying to say is I don't think theres much development in the womens game especially at the higher level. I don't know if i'm making much sense but basically womens football gets the shaft compared to men because its women playing, but nothing really is being done to improve it. Yes a womens league is forming but there used to be one and it folded.

I know girls who are amazing players and are going to play in college. I almost feel bad for them because they really love the sport but they won't get the respect they derserve in terms of options and support.

I'd rather watch mens soccer but that doesn't mean I don't watch the womens. It doesn't get that much support so if I can be one more person to support it then i'm all for it.

BuzzingBee
Veteran Member

Post by BuzzingBee » 20 Jul 2008, 23:28

Real_Zidane wrote:Here are my problems with Women's soccer (I'm not doing this just to do it; it's my opinion):

1. It's slooooww.
3. It's never on TV.
4. No one else cares.

1. Girls footy is played different
2. Your right,aside from pace and technique its played differently,and considering our genders our bodies work differently!
3. It isn't,which is a shame
4. I F****** care

And for the Conlusion I would say,ArsenalFc08 one of the main routes in our success with the sport is Sexism aside from the sexist remarks from some of the users,thus making it that much harder for us women to be up to par,with men! and it damn well pisses me off,like look at player like Mia Hamm,she is equivalent to David Beckham! but noo she doesn't get that much credit because shes a female. You guys see a guy play your like oh wow hes good,and if you guys see a girl play your like oh is she hot? eh whatever shes just a girl,go easy on her :roll:
you want my honest opinion? I think most guys are afraid of being shown up by a girl because of the degrading images that society has forced up on us.
Practice and drive are all you need, You will become good, if not great, and then, if you wish to go further, the opportunities will come to you - Rome_Leader

BuzzingBee's at it again