MLS Season 2008

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

MLS Season 2008

Post by ForzaMilan » 30 Mar 2008, 01:37

This topic is just for general discussion of the new MLS season, and lets try not to stray to far off topic. :) I have a fantasy team on FoxSoccer.com so I'll make a league and later I'll post the link.

Today the season opened with New England beating their Cup rivals Houston 3-0. I watched the last 20-30 minutes, and it was a pretty exciting game.

Nyasi scored an exciting goal in stoppage time where he read a pass well and intercepted it at the half way line and took the ball all the way to the end of the eighteen where he did a couple of step overs and blew past the defender and blasted it into the roof of the net.

Well up next tonight is La vs Colorado, and it should be a pretty good game, and it will be good to see Beckham again.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Mar 2008, 03:50

What can I say about LA vs Rapids

1. Prof that the MLS has some of the worst refs in the world.
2. I agree that the only positive thing to say about LA was Landon Donovan standing up for Ruiz and almost kicking that retard (no offense) of a defender ass.
2. LA have 2 of the best attacking players in MLS (Donovan & Beckham) an a strong attacker in Ruiz, BUT the fact that the rest of the team is so god damn terrible means that they have to hope this season.
3. LA will be one of the worst teams this year.( losing 4-0 against a far less then full force team that quite frankly sucks)
4. LA's coach sucks (a 4-3-3 with Donovan and Beckham up front, WTF)
5. LA have the worst defense possibly in MLS history.
6. That was not a PK.
(I'm not a LA fan)
New England vs Houston:

A reasonable good game (I was completely un-bias, I like Holden from Houston and Ries (spelling for both) from New England, but other then that dislike both teams. I think that the Revolution is better without Twellmen and Houston is better without Ching. Those two new U-20 imports are gonna help the Revolution a lot this season, and Joseph was pretty impressive. Houston Need to drop Ching and bring in a strong forward but other then that they should do well this season to.

My prediction for Final:
New York Red Bulls 3(if Jozy stays) vs. Chivas USA 2(they are gonna be good, but I still dislike them)
I know it's to early to make a prediction but I'm putting it out there.

J
Admin

Post by J » 30 Mar 2008, 07:51

2brown347 wrote: I think that the Revolution is better without Twellmen and Houston is better without Ching.
Without Twellman, we wouldn't have been in the last 2 MLS Cup finals, let alone the playoffs probably. Nicol has built alot of this team around Twellman. We may have looked good tonight without him, but he will be very important for us this season like he has been every other season.

Houston wouldn't be as hurt without Ching though, I agree with you on that :lol: I think he is overrated.

I was sitting right in front of where Nyassi scored that thrid goal tonight at it was stunning. Great dribbling work and nice finish. He has got some serious pace along with Mansally. They add some nice depth to the side. I do have to say though I think Houston wasn't used to the cold really.

The Galaxy looked terrible from what I saw of the second half of thier game tonight. I think they have invested too much money in too few players and you can't do that with the salary cap we have in MLS. Although if Donovan, Ruiz, and Beckham can start clicking together, the Glaxay have the potential to have a nice attacking side.

I do think the MLS is going to be competitive this year. The quality of play gets better every year.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Mar 2008, 17:23

J wrote:
2brown347 wrote: I think that the Revolution is better without Twellmen and Houston is better without Ching.
Without Twellman, we wouldn't have been in the last 2 MLS Cup finals, let alone the playoffs probably. Nicol has built alot of this team around Twellman. We may have looked good tonight without him, but he will be very important for us this season like he has been every other season.

Houston wouldn't be as hurt without Ching though, I agree with you on that :lol: I think he is overrated.

I was sitting right in front of where Nyassi scored that thrid goal tonight at it was stunning. Great dribbling work and nice finish. He has got some serious pace along with Mansally. They add some nice depth to the side. I do have to say though I think Houston wasn't used to the cold really.

The Galaxy looked terrible from what I saw of the second half of thier game tonight. I think they have invested too much money in too few players and you can't do that with the salary cap we have in MLS. Although if Donovan, Ruiz, and Beckham can start clicking together, the Glaxay have the potential to have a nice attacking side.

I do think the MLS is going to be competitive this year. The quality of play gets better every year.
The twellmen thing was more because I don't like him, but he has saved the revolution a lot. I think Nyassi and Mansally could be the 2 best buys of the off season if they continue to play like they did yesterday. There aren't very many player like Nyassi in the MLS right now.

The Galaxy in my opionion have blown the season already. The have potential to have a great attack, but that can't win them games with a garbage defense. They have 3 players that would probably be on any MLS all star team, but they need more then those 3 to win games, and they can't buy anyone else because of those 3 players.

The one thing that I didn't like about the New England game was that Castro seemed to dive a few times. Did it seem like he was diving there or was it just how they showed it? One thing that I've been happy with the MLS is that there isn't much diving, and I don't want that to change. It must have been a amazing game to watch (as far as MLS goes) in person.

I agree that the level of competition is increasing every year and there is a lot more skill being shown. Hopefully it can grow, and DC United get into the club world cup, that might gain our league some respect.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 30 Mar 2008, 17:32

:lol: galaxy lost 4 nil ? :lol:

anyway a little off topic. everyones going on about the number of foreign players in the premiership but what about the MLS. As far as im aware there are alot of foreiners over there aswell. Colorado seem to have loads

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Mar 2008, 18:16

There are a lot of players from south/central America, but not a ton of European, Asian, African players, there are some but not near as many. Yesterday they were saying that a lot of Scottish players will be coming over because of something to do with there club, but I didn't really catch it all.

So yes there are lots of foreign players, but they aren't from the locations were most the foreign players from European clubs are from. And as far as Brazilian's, we have some of the worst Brazilians I've seen touch a ball [cough] LA Galaxy [/cough]

It's still not as bad as the EPL

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 30 Mar 2008, 18:39

:? didnt know that but that would be Gretna

4 seasons ago they were playing in the scottish third division until they were bought by a millionaire who brought decent lower league players to them and won 3 concecutive promotions into the SPL and a scottish cup final but the owner took ill recently and is basically bankrupt and has cut his funding. They are going out of business and alot of players have been sacked.
I suppose they are heading over the MLS because they dont want to go back and play for lower division scottish teams

i know kenny deucher left a couple of months ago and he's playing with real salt lake

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Mar 2008, 19:05

That must be it, that kinda sucks though. Is Kenny Deucher good, because Real Salt Lakes my team and I didn't see them play yesterday. The MLS is getting better though so they should do fine for themselves in MLS.

J
Admin

Post by J » 30 Mar 2008, 20:23

ScottyBoy wrote:everyones going on about the number of foreign players in the premiership but what about the MLS.
In the MLS each team is allowed 7 international spots on the roster.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 30 Mar 2008, 20:32

are you sure? because rapids have 9

Bouna Coundoul (Cameroon)

Rafael Gomes (Brasil)

Facundo Erpen (Argentina)

Mehdi Ballouchy (Morocco)

Christian Gómez (Argentina)

Omar Cummings (Jamaica)

Tam McManus (Scotland)

Kosuke Kimura (Japan)

J
Admin

Post by J » 30 Mar 2008, 20:56

Well thats was for 2007. May have changed in 2008, but I'm not sure.

http://web.mlsnet.com/about/league.jsp? ... t=overview

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 30 Mar 2008, 21:25

colorado seem to have alot of foreigners i know there coach and alot of his staff are foreign aswell (i think they have an english player aswell?)

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 30 Mar 2008, 22:20

They have cooke who is english and isn't herculez gomez foreign as well?
As you can see from davidsons post most are from south/central america.
I think we should have a limit for foreign players, because even though they may be better to really build the league we need home grown stars, (which as soon as we get one they move to a different league.)

I think 7-9 should be the limit.

J
Admin

Post by J » 30 Mar 2008, 23:57

The MLS does have a limit on how many foreign players a roster can carry.
I realized that some of those players in Davidson's post may have a green card which doesn't consider them as an 'international player'.

btw, I am pretty sure Gomez was born in the States.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 31 Mar 2008, 00:17

I wasn't sure, I thought I heard somewhere that he wasn't but I must of got my gomez's mixed up.
The green card thing makes sense, and I knew that there was a limit but davidson's post made my question what it was.