Jets vs Mariners

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Jets vs Mariners

Post by Alexio1092 » 24 Feb 2008, 07:19

Just a quick topic, but 0-0 HT, my money's on the Jets to open the scoring, followed by a defensive slip-up to take it into ET, either 2-1 or 3-2. Anyone else watching it?

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 24 Feb 2008, 07:31

Mark bridge just scored. Tony Vidmar slipped up and Mark Bridge took it and bent it around Vukovic. It was a nice goal, unlucky for Vidmar considering its his last game.
SO FAR:
JETS 1 CCM 0
Sig by me

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 24 Feb 2008, 07:43

Just wanted to make a post dedicated to Tony Vidmar. He was just replaced by Matt Simon. Unfortunate he caused the slip up which caused the Jets to take the lead. But he was the 3rd most capped Socceroo and is well known for scoring in the penalty shootout against Uruguay. He is considered the best left back Australia has ever produced
TONY RETIRES: CYA MATE THANKS FOR THE GOOD TIMES
Sig by me

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 24 Feb 2008, 08:03

The mariners goal keeper Danny Vukovic was just sent off. Aloisi received a yellow. There was a handball by a jets defender (94) but it wasnt spotted. But the whistle just went.

NEWCASTLE JETS UNITED WIN 07/08 HYUNDAI A-LEAGUE!
Sig by me

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 24 Feb 2008, 08:26

fu** YEAH!!! 1-0!! Time to flame every mariners supporter video over youtube!! haha!!

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Post by truesocceroo » 26 Feb 2008, 05:17

its bulls**t how they banned vukovic he hardly touched the ref, i dont care much for mark sheild and i think it should have been a penalty, this coming from a sydney fan

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 26 Feb 2008, 05:31

truesocceroo wrote:its bulls**t how they banned vukovic he hardly touched the ref, i dont care much for mark sheild and i think it should have been a penalty, this coming from a sydney fan
Griffiths sack-wacks the linesman and gets a 2k fine, Vukovic slaps/pats a ref's wrist and gets an extended ban, it's ridiculous to be honest. Without Griffiths the A-League V3 Campaign could've turned out a whoooole lot different. I didn't see the elbowed ball from Holland, but there's enough controversy (spelling?) out there for it to have happened I guess. :wink:

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 26 Feb 2008, 09:10

The ball came off of James Hollands arm, everyone saw it except Mark Sheild. He should've seen it, he asked the linesman if he saw it and he said yes, then he asked the other lines man and he said no. The mariners deserved that penalty, but Vukovic slapping the ref was a bit over the top.

I saw that on YouTube when Joel Griffiths done that lol. But yeah that's also classified as striking an official and the other team didnt even get the penalty.

As a matter of intrest, Vukovics ban was lowered from 15 months to 9 months. (I read in the herald sun)
Sig by me

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 26 Feb 2008, 11:43

Had2bHarry wrote:The ball came off of James Hollands arm, everyone saw it except Mark Sheild. He should've seen it, he asked the linesman if he saw it and he said yes, then he asked the other lines man and he said no. The mariners deserved that penalty, but Vukovic slapping the ref was a bit over the top.

I saw that on YouTube when Joel Griffiths done that lol. But yeah that's also classified as striking an official and the other team didnt even get the penalty.

As a matter of intrest, Vukovics ban was lowered from 15 months to 9 months. (I read in the herald sun)
I believe it's a 9-month ban and a 6 month probation (spelling?) period set-out for the naughty wrist-slapper. He dressed up as Corey Delaney and really suited the part for the after-party celebrations, they thought that he'd lost he plot on Ten News until they saw Vidmar and Gumprecht in God and Hitler outfits respectively!!

I seriously didn't see the handball when I was watching, I think I was too worried about the amassing pile of study and work I had to do for my classes the next day since my entire weekend was a right-off for the match on Sunday arvo/evening. :P

They say it was "only" 36.5k or so that turned out for the GF, we certainly made enough noise and it was a fair trip for all supporters that weren't sydneysiders or sydney-based. 60 Coaches for the Jets, wow. That's like. sh*t, I worked out in maths today instead of doing some "important" Quadratic Equation crap..7.5k? :P

EDIT: Should Mark Shield've awarded the penalty if one of the linesmen had seen it?!

EDIT: Zomg!! I videotaped the whole +injury time part..including the hand-ball...got it from the start of the corner..puuuurfect. I might upload it later on-to youtube. It's piss-poor quality really but I had my labrador rolling around into my legs and i was shaking with excitement at how were were winning/won the grand final..not really..maybe it's just parkinsons..>.<

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 26 Feb 2008, 12:24

:lol: tony vidmar "the best left back Australia has ever produced " that shows that australia are about 25 years behind the rest of the footballing world

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 27 Feb 2008, 04:55

tony vidmar "the best left back Australia has ever produced " that shows that australia are about 25 years behind the rest of the footballing world
What are you implying? Are you making fun of us Aussies?

If you're not going to contribute to the current conversation then please dont give us critism that is by no means constructive. You dont live in Australia, you've probably never even watched an A-league match,
you havent seen how popular football is becoming, or how much better the A-league is getting. Also if you're saying that Tony Vidmar is a crap player, then you've obviously never benefitted from the glory he's brought to people.
Sig by me

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 27 Feb 2008, 08:21

ScottyBoy wrote::lol: tony vidmar "the best left back Australia has ever produced " that shows that australia are about 25 years behind the rest of the footballing world
And the A-League's been around for how long, please, how old are you to be making sh*t-stirring judgements like that that aren't even legit. :?

One slip-up doesn't make Vidmar poor, if you bothered to look up his playing career he's done alot more than you chum. You may only be as good as your last game but he's vindicated his error with a fantastic career, the third-longest serving Socceroo to date.

Had2bHarry
Veteran Member

Post by Had2bHarry » 27 Feb 2008, 08:32

One slip-up doesn't make Vidmar poor, if you bothered to look up his playing career he's done alot more than you chum. You may only be as good as your last game but he's vindicated his error with a fantastic career, the third-longest serving Socceroo to date.
Thats completely true. Even the big name players in England slip up you know, probably some worse than Vidmar. It was a mistake, it doesnt mean Vidmar should go back to playing with under 6s.

Anyway, Tony Vidmar is a great player and I wish him all the best with his coaching career.

EDIT: How can Scottyboy be so unconstructive. He's basically saying that Australia sucks at football just because Tony Vidmar made a mistake that anyone could've made.
Sig by me

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 27 Feb 2008, 17:16

Had2bHarry wrote:
Thats completely true. Even the big name players in England slip up you know, probably some worse than Vidmar. It was a mistake, it doesnt mean Vidmar should go back to playing with under 6s.

Anyway, Tony Vidmar is a great player and I wish him all the best with his coaching career.

EDIT: How can Scottyboy be so unconstructive. He's basically saying that Australia sucks at football just because Tony Vidmar made a mistake that anyone could've made.
:lol: i wasnt meaning to insult australia, im just saying that football there cant be that good if tony vidmar is one of your greatest players ever...

maybe if you wernt being too busy being insulted you would see that i was having a joke

Alexio1092
Veteran Member

Post by Alexio1092 » 28 Feb 2008, 01:24

ScottyBoy wrote:
Had2bHarry wrote:

:lol: i wasnt meaning to insult australia, im just saying that football there cant be that good if tony vidmar is one of your greatest players ever...

maybe if you wernt being too busy being insulted you would see that i was having a joke
Maybe it's because alot of your posts aren't going to be seen as too constructive if they're like that (lolz australia is 25 years behind) and generally are just too brash to be seen as a joke, hehe. I wouldn't consider Tony Vidmar one of the greatest right now, but if you look back he's been a fantastic player. He was only with the Mariners for 1 season, and although he didn't command and control the defence like he used to, he still did his job.

Football's just started in Australia (3 years) and it's really taken off, and as the quality and financial backing of the league improves, so will the quality of the players and it's lifespan. Joel Griffiths actually won the Johnny Warren medal (player of the year), so check out a few videos of him. Also check out Nicky Carle from last year, won the Johnny Warren medal too. Newcastle Jets, two times in a row by far!! If you've ever watched an A-League match you'll find alot of quality players mate. Compared to the EPL they may be drab, but big things are in store for us with the right financial backing and new teams being added to the HAL next year and (hopefully) more the season after. :wink:

EDIT: I understand that you weren't meant to be insulting Australia or Australian Football, but honestly, how long's the A-League been up and running for mate? Vidmar was a marquee player past his prime, but he still did great things during the season, playing for a club with the smallest population base and doesn't even have a rugby league team (alot of the venues are used for our league/union teams, QLD Roar's Suncorp, EAS for Newcastle Knights etc). Check out the rest of the players/teams in the A-League before you make a judgement like that mate. :P