Zurawski to the Columbus Crew

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Zurawski to the Columbus Crew

Post by rzadzinski » 29 Jan 2008, 20:42

It seems as if Polish international and Celtic player, Maciej Zurawski is interested in joining the Crew. I think its just down to the transfer fee now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=t ... &type=lgns
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 29 Jan 2008, 20:47

i think its right hes moving to a lower standard league (no offence to MLS fans) he's been a laughing stock at celtic this season and simply isnt up to the standard any more

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 29 Jan 2008, 22:29

Yeah, you're right, Celtic know American clubs have cash and will go nuts for anyone connected to a top Europe club. I expect this will finance someone's big move to Celtic. Likely Max Keeble. ;\

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 30 Jan 2008, 09:50

:lol: i was going to ask who the fu** max keeble is but then i googled the name

i dont think there will be a big transfer fee 500k which is still overpaying - he might even go on a free

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 01 Feb 2008, 22:00

It's good to see some younger international players than Becks coming to MLS. New faces like Zurawski should help the league's reputation a little bit (or maybe not, depending who you ask). Hate to sound like a typical American "soccer fan," but we need to bring more of these international players to MLS, ones that people have actually heard of. Look what Blanco and Angel did for league popularity. Not that Zurawski is anywhere near their status of course.
Hala Galacticos

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 01 Feb 2008, 22:10

I agree, I think that it might be a small lower league now, but it is still young and will get bigger, and a way to help grow faster is to get bigger european names. I think that having some younger international players will be nice to because it will help fight the league becoming know as a retirement home for ex-superstars.(In a football sense, NOT celebrity wise)

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 01 Feb 2008, 22:27

cfrealmadrid wrote:It's good to see some younger international players than Becks coming to MLS. New faces like Zurawski should help the league's reputation a little bit (or maybe not, depending who you ask). Hate to sound like a typical American "soccer fan," but we need to bring more of these international players to MLS, ones that people have actually heard of. Look what Blanco and Angel did for league popularity. Not that Zurawski is anywhere near their status of course.
That's the wrong idea, though. What needs to be done is huge initiatives via celebrity commercials and lots of private and public funding to increase the popularity of the sport in the US, so more kids get involved with it and make it their passion like they do with their baseball and football, and you will get more homegrown stars, which are even better for the image.

The Cosmos tried it, it really didn't work out. It became more of a novelty then an instilling of a sport into a nation. Same thing with Becks' ridiculous transfer, now he's gone to rot in America to finish his career, and he got dumped from England's squad. A 70's-80's American sports fan: "Oh, Pele, I've heard of Pele. How interesting, he's coming to play in America. *moderate coverage, forget, repeat* " A 00's American sports fan: "Oh, Beckham, I know who Beckham is *moderate coverage, forget, repeat*"

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 02 Feb 2008, 02:24

No dice, he moves to a Greek squad Larissa FC. The only reason he wanted a move out was for more playing time, which was requested by Polish National Coach Leo Beenhakker:

http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.uk/a ... sp?a=98962
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin