Premier League Games in America?

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World

Do you think the Premiership should have some games in America?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 18

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 06 Nov 2007, 22:16

fr33k1ck wrote:
ratherton wrote:If you really want to see a game so badly, get your arse on a plane and come over to England.

Currently, the team I support play in the Championship although a takeover is about to go through and the removal of debt (as opposed to massive investment) will see us in a strong position for promotion.

Therefore, it is feasible my team may be dragged to the US for one of these stupid games. So who is going to pay my airfare and hotels so I can get to see a game I pay for the April before the season starts as part of my season ticket ?? You ?? I can currently walk to the stadium in about 30 minutes. Why should I miss a game just because of people in another country who in truth are only interested in the Premier League because its fashionable.

I buy a season ticket to show my loyalty to the club and it also means I get to go to the sell-out games so I expect some loyalty in return.

It really pisses me off that people watch a team on TV and claim to be life long fans - what a load of bollox. You know nothing of the scarifes and emotions that real football fans go through. Football existed in England for more than 100 years before the clubs sold their souls and formed the Premier League. Football today isn't about who has the best club, its about who has the richest owners.

I follow Ipswich Town and when I was about 12 years old, they were one of the best teams in Europe. Our manager was Sir Bobby Robson and with everything he has done in football, he still maintains that the Ipswich team of 1981 were the best he ever managed. I was fortunate to see some of the greats and I can remember us beating Man U 6-0 and missing 3 penalties.

However, I've known more bad times than good with Ipswich but that only makes the good times seem even better when they come round. Not that it matters, they are my local club, part of the community I live in. I couldn't support a team from far away with any passion. Football has given me some of the best and worst times of my life....and people have the nerve to call me selfish for not wanting to let my club play a league match in another country. To even think something like that just goes to show you know absolutely nothing about what it means to be a football supporter.

Some random memories:
When I was 15, I nearly got beaten up by a group of big lads in Bradford because their team lost and missed out on promotion.

I've driven thousands of miles all over the UK to watch my team play in towns you've never heard of against teams you've never heard of and been to around 65 of the 92 football league grounds in England.

I've stood on open, rain drenched terraces seeing my team lose 5-0 knowing I've got a 200+ mile drive home.

I've seen my club lose in Play-off semi-finals on away goals 3 years out of 4.

Feeling my stomach in knots on my first visit to Millwall back in the days when they lived up to their reputation.

Now will someone who voted YES please answer my earlier question as to how this sort of sporting prostitution will benefit the MLS .... or don't you have any pride in your own countries league?
SELFISH!
Who can argue will such a well thought out response as that :roll:

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 06 Nov 2007, 22:19

barcahooligan wrote:I think that as an American people here should be able to experience a higher level of football from the Premership... i can see how people like ratherton (that attend game regulary) should be angery, but to say that we should have no chances in seeing a higher level except by going to another country is very selfish...

Football is a global sport not just an English sport...
Correct - that is why each country has their own leagues. Surely it makes more sense to work hard to improve the standard of the MLS. You have all the facilities and money to succeed over in the US, its up to you to make it work.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

Post by barcahooligan » 07 Nov 2007, 00:49

ratherton wrote:
barcahooligan wrote:I think that as an American people here should be able to experience a higher level of football from the Premership... i can see how people like ratherton (that attend game regulary) should be angery, but to say that we should have no chances in seeing a higher level except by going to another country is very selfish...

Correct - that is why each country has their own leagues. Surely it makes more sense to work hard to improve the standard of the MLS. You have all the facilities and money to succeed over in the US, its up to you to make it work.
I guess you've got me there... :wink: :D
sig by 2brown347

TH14
Veteran Member

Post by TH14 » 07 Nov 2007, 02:19

Why not have a few games here? sh*t changes. If everything today had been the same as it has always been in the past our world would be totally out of sync. European teams already come over here to face American teams for exhibition games so why not take it a step up? A lot of Americans go to England just to watch a few football games so why not repay them? It's not like nobody would attend the games, I guarentee every single game played here would sell out easily. It would be a good experience for the players to come here and play and we Americans would appreciate it probably more than players would appreciate fans coming from America to England to watch their games. Ratherton, it's not like they are playing an entire season here, you will still get to go to many games. Let each person themselves decide if they are a true fan. Nobody else can tell them what they are and what they aren't. Sure, all football is beautiful, but not everybody here gets to see some of the lower division's games. We get more chances to watch the Premiership more than any other league so we don't know any better. I think I speak for some American soccer fans when I say that I would much rather watch my favorite team or a team that I know of rather than a team from a lower division that I have never heard of. That's just how it is.
Credit to keller8

"Arsenal will always be in my heart, my blood, my head." - Thierry Henry

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 07 Nov 2007, 03:11

Even as an on and off match go-er, I'd hate for this to happen. Honestly, no matter how much money this brings in to the league and the clubs, I think it's a tad ridiculous for the supporters here to have to purchase tickets for a pointless match. The logic in flying out the whole team to America for a few days for one or two matches and flying them back for the regular season seems a bit stupid. Should they do this, I'll be boycotting the matches, and am sure others will too.

TH14
Veteran Member

Post by TH14 » 07 Nov 2007, 05:23

KPatel wrote:Even as an on and off match go-er, I'd hate for this to happen. Honestly, no matter how much money this brings in to the league and the clubs, I think it's a tad ridiculous for the supporters here to have to purchase tickets for a pointless match. The logic in flying out the whole team to America for a few days for one or two matches and flying them back for the regular season seems a bit stupid. Should they do this, I'll be boycotting the matches, and am sure others will too.
So is flying players out to other countries for a few days for their national team's matches stupid too?
Credit to keller8

KPatel

Post by KPatel » 07 Nov 2007, 05:26

TH14 wrote:
KPatel wrote:Even as an on and off match go-er, I'd hate for this to happen. Honestly, no matter how much money this brings in to the league and the clubs, I think it's a tad ridiculous for the supporters here to have to purchase tickets for a pointless match. The logic in flying out the whole team to America for a few days for one or two matches and flying them back for the regular season seems a bit stupid. Should they do this, I'll be boycotting the matches, and am sure others will too.
So is flying players out to other countries for a few days for their national team's matches stupid too?
Keep in mind that most international matches have some meaning and are conducted during International breaks.

TH14
Veteran Member

Post by TH14 » 07 Nov 2007, 05:30

KPatel wrote:
TH14 wrote:
Keep in mind that most international matches have some meaning and are conducted during International breaks.
Yes I realize that they do get an extra week off for most international matches. But, are you saying that league matches don't matter? Because I surely think they have at least some significance to the players :D.
Credit to keller8

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 07 Nov 2007, 05:47

fr33k1ck, just to let you know, you're making yourself look like a 3 year old in this debate.

Also, the English Premier League is for England. Why move it to America one time to just give people a glimpse of how bad the MLS really is and make them stop watching that completely! :P

This is not a hate against the MLS, but it's the truth in most part, with a few exceptions. But I agree totally with J here, it wouldn't be the same over here, and the fans would be definitely pissed. (Ratherton is just one)
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

TH14
Veteran Member

Post by TH14 » 07 Nov 2007, 05:58

I don't understand why locals would be upset? We weren't upset about having an NFL game played over there. The MLS is a joke, there's no way around it. We realize that. But it's the only soccer we have over here and real soccer fans don't mind watching it too much because it really is all we have. Soccer is the world's sport, so why not share it with the world? Are you forgetting we are just talking about having one game over here? You guys are acting like they are going to play an entire season here for God's sake.
Credit to keller8

dareliss
Veteran Member

Post by dareliss » 07 Nov 2007, 06:38

powell wrote:

Yeh your right football is ....... but the epl and football league arent. They are just english leagues like la liga is only spanish. None of these are global only the world cups are global
Exactly......... EPL will stay forever in England, except games they play at summer more like training session.
Impossible Is Nothing. Impossible is the last shot. Impossible is the last game.

Sig by me... :)

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 07 Nov 2007, 17:00

TH14 wrote:I don't understand why locals would be upset? We weren't upset about having an NFL game played over there. The MLS is a joke, there's no way around it. We realize that. But it's the only soccer we have over here and real soccer fans don't mind watching it too much because it really is all we have. Soccer is the world's sport, so why not share it with the world? Are you forgetting we are just talking about having one game over here? You guys are acting like they are going to play an entire season here for God's sake.
You can't compare the NFL teams to British Football Clubs. As I understand it, the NFL teams are basically franchises which can be shut down and started up with comparitive ease. If you didn't complain about the NFL game in England, that is your choice but be in no doubt, there will be hell to pay in England if this sort of stupidity is attempted.

When clubs expand their stadium, quite often there are local resident complaining about it and this often goes to court. We have this stupid Human Rights act in the UK and no doubt, there will be plenty of lawyers queuing up to try cases if fixtures are moved like this.

With 1 or 2 exceptions, all the professional clubs in England date back at least 80 years, more often than not, they still play at the same place. The clubs are part of the culture, history and community. They are not the play-things of rich TV companies to take off all of the world on some sort of "Harlem Globetrotters" tour.

The game is a world game but the clubs are English and the games must be played at the home teams venue.

I also seriously doubt if the current league rules allow clubs to switch the venues of their home games purely for financial reason. I know in the past low league teams try to switch venues to bigger stadia if they draw Premier League sides in the FA Cup but that is being clamped down on.

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 09 Nov 2007, 23:46

I haven't read what others have posted, but I think I have an idea that could work. It would bring big rivalry to the States from England, hardly anyone would be upset, and it could boost up popularity of football in America.

Why not have the Community Shield in America? No one really gives a crap who wins, and (usually) it's entertaining stuff with a good match up such as Chelsea and Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool, etc.

I think that would be a good way of introducing America to some higher-level football.

Davidson9
Veteran Member

Post by Davidson9 » 11 Nov 2007, 00:24

Real_Zidane wrote:I haven't read what others have posted, but I think I have an idea that could work. It would bring big rivalry to the States from England, hardly anyone would be upset, and it could boost up popularity of football in America.

Why not have the Community Shield in America? No one really gives a crap who wins, and (usually) it's entertaining stuff with a good match up such as Chelsea and Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool, etc.

I think that would be a good way of introducing America to some higher-level football.
The Community Shield thing is actually a good idea.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 11 Nov 2007, 00:31

Davidson9 wrote:
Real_Zidane wrote:I haven't read what others have posted, but I think I have an idea that could work. It would bring big rivalry to the States from England, hardly anyone would be upset, and it could boost up popularity of football in America.

The Community Shield thing is actually a good idea.
It actually is a good idea, I also concur.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin