Premier League Games in America?

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World

Do you think the Premiership should have some games in America?

Yes
9
50%
No
9
50%
 
Total votes: 18

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member
Posts: 1925
Joined: 11 Aug 2006, 17:36

Premier League Games in America?

Post by Real_Zidane » 06 Nov 2007, 02:24

With the first EVER pro American football game outside of America played recently in Wembley, some are thinking England should take a few of their games over to America. What do you guys think about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 063261.stm
Image

Davidson9
Veteran Member
Posts: 4471
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 18:41

Post by Davidson9 » 06 Nov 2007, 02:43

it would be great if they played in our neighbours to the south , as long as i was there, they should really consider it, it might globalize football more, who knows...

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post by ratherton » 06 Nov 2007, 09:14

This idea is so stupid, you could be forgiven for think that it came straight from Fatty Blatter.

At present, the team I watch isn't in the Premier League (thankfully) and I live about about 1.5 miles away from the stadium. I'd be furious if a fixture was suddenly shipped off to another country by once again, no concern is given to the fans who regularly go to matches.

Its bad enough that TV mess around with kick off times usually after travel plans have been made and things like train tickets can't be refunded.

Surely, it makes more sense to promote the MLS so people can support teams in their own city or at least own country. How is football in the US supposed to grow when people are more interested in teams in London, Madrid and Manchester than they are in Miami, Boston or Washington?

PS: In case you are wondering, I voted NO
Image

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member
Posts: 362
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:14

Post by fr33k1ck » 06 Nov 2007, 12:59

ratherton wrote:This idea is so stupid, you could be forgiven for think that it came straight from Fatty Blatter.

At present, the team I watch isn't in the Premier League (thankfully) and I live about about 1.5 miles away from the stadium. I'd be furious if a fixture was suddenly shipped off to another country by once again, no concern is given to the fans who regularly go to matches.

Its bad enough that TV mess around with kick off times usually after travel plans have been made and things like train tickets can't be refunded.

Surely, it makes more sense to promote the MLS so people can support teams in their own city or at least own country. How is football in the US supposed to grow when people are more interested in teams in London, Madrid and Manchester than they are in Miami, Boston or Washington?

PS: In case you are wondering, I voted NO
Quit being so selfish. It's just one game. Let people who don't get a chance to watch real quality soccer live, a chance. It's just one game. That way us Americans would at least know what soccer is about. I vote yes. It would be an excellent oppurtunity. We brought one of our football games to England, you guys could at least consider breaking a high quality football game to the U.S.

shahensha
Veteran Member
Posts: 2528
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 03:38
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Post by shahensha » 06 Nov 2007, 14:33

I definitely agree. English fans get to watch their teams live all the time so it would definitely not hurt them if they dont spend extra money on the tickets and just watch the games on their television sets, comfortably in their house with a beer or something once in a while....

Anyways, bringing some good quality bpl games here would boost the publicity of soccer in North America because lets face it fellas, the bpl is much fast paced and physical than the mls.
Image

powell
English Meister
Posts: 3941
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 20:59
Location: england

Post by powell » 06 Nov 2007, 15:36

Ok for 1 second imagine this.

One of the biggest rivalrys in the epl liverpool vs mancherster united or maybe arsneal vs man utd all fans will agree. Now imagine all those 1000's of scousers and manc and gooners who are ready for potentially the biggest game of the season that could shape it and all of a sudden if you want to watch this get your arses to america.

Now i dont know about you but i think there would be some pretty pissed off people around. Also not sounding harsh but we didnt ask for the american football did we ?

Ratherton is spot on and not selfish at all. To be honest if you were here in england you would know how hard it is to actaully get your hands on a ticket even.

Another point is jet lag, a mid wee game perhaps followed by a journey to america to play and then back to train and then maybe a champions league match. If you ask me thats enough to tire anyone out.

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member
Posts: 362
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:14

Post by fr33k1ck » 06 Nov 2007, 18:26

powell wrote:Ok for 1 second imagine this.

One of the biggest rivalrys in the epl liverpool vs mancherster united or maybe arsneal vs man utd all fans will agree. Now imagine all those 1000's of scousers and manc and gooners who are ready for potentially the biggest game of the season that could shape it and all of a sudden if you want to watch this get your arses to america.

Now i dont know about you but i think there would be some pretty pissed off people around. Also not sounding harsh but we didnt ask for the american football did we ?

Ratherton is spot on and not selfish at all. To be honest if you were here in england you would know how hard it is to actaully get your hands on a ticket even.

Another point is jet lag, a mid wee game perhaps followed by a journey to america to play and then back to train and then maybe a champions league match. If you ask me thats enough to tire anyone out.
First of all, it is pretty selfish not to let another country who knows nothing about great soccer to experience it once in a while. And the games don't have to be good games. The football game in England was Dolphins v Giants. The dolphins were 0-8 on the season, they suck. How bout A Newcastle v Chelsea game, or something of the that magnitude. Not Man U v Chelsea. And if football players can deal with jet lag, so can soccer players. The game doesn't even have to be in a Champions league week.

powell
English Meister
Posts: 3941
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 20:59
Location: england

Post by powell » 06 Nov 2007, 18:44

You dont get it. Chelsea fans wont want to miss out on the game if they are a seaosn ticket holder and go every week. Nor will the geordies.

American football isnt as draining a football is and they play every weekend.

Well usually if there isnt a champions league game its usually the league cup or fa cup and postponed games usually get played in the week if there are any so they will need to find a slot if they can. Secondly the epl or who ever might organise this wont think about the players fitness only about how much dosh they will have in there pocket at the end of the day

Lastlly i find this what your trying to say quite silly : ..... Its selfish to not let another country apart from england host an english prem league match ? Sounds silly.

Another thing you wont experiance the same quality of plays. The players obviously wont be at home therefore they wont have the usually gooners or scousers cheering them on if a country like america doesnt appreciate the game as much as the other sports there.

I think it will go ahead though only if it brings in more money for the rich bastards.

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member
Posts: 362
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:14

Post by fr33k1ck » 06 Nov 2007, 19:05

powell wrote:You dont get it. Chelsea fans wont want to miss out on the game if they are a seaosn ticket holder and go every week. Nor will the geordies.

American football isnt as draining a football is and they play every weekend.

Well usually if there isnt a champions league game its usually the league cup or fa cup and postponed games usually get played in the week if there are any so they will need to find a slot if they can. Secondly the epl or who ever might organise this wont think about the players fitness only about how much dosh they will have in there pocket at the end of the day

Lastlly i find this what your trying to say quite silly : ..... Its selfish to not let another country apart from england host an english prem league match ? Sounds silly.

Another thing you wont experiance the same quality of plays. The players obviously wont be at home therefore they wont have the usually gooners or scousers cheering them on if a country like america doesnt appreciate the game as much as the other sports there.

I think it will go ahead though only if it brings in more money for the rich bastards.
What about Dolphins and Giants fans who are season ticket holders. I find it hard to believe season ticket holders cant miss one game. American football is played once a week because it is so draining. It is as draining if not more draining than soccer(dont want to get into a debate about that though). So your telling me the BPL cant find one day in a year long schedule(exagerration) to let them play in America. Besides, these guys are professional athletes, they should be able to take one game with jet lag. And if they have to have fans cheering them on then they arent really that good. So in a country over 300 million, you dont think that their are Americans that care as much about it as Brits. Come on, dont bring that weak argument up against me, or i will trample and dismantle it.

powell
English Meister
Posts: 3941
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 20:59
Location: england

Post by powell » 06 Nov 2007, 19:13

Sorry not getting into an arguement but it you say american love football as much as the brits then why do they need it to be publisized ?

Secondly i dont care about dolphins and giants we really didnt beg for the game to come here it was the nfl's idea to host it here to get the sport publisized.

Thirdly im not saying they cant play without fans but wheres the atmosphere without them if you every watch a big game watch how influencial the fans are to the players thats what im getting at.

----------------------------------------------------

Ok so they can handle one game with jet lag even with maybe a midweek game.

Leave thursday
No training on friday due to tirdness probs.
Game either saterday or sunday
Home on monday
No time to prepare for midwekk game

Again you say they can go one game with jet lag well what its a improtant game for one team and they need to be firing at full pace. Who gets the blame if they lose ?

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post by ratherton » 06 Nov 2007, 20:07

If you really want to see a game so badly, get your arse on a plane and come over to England.

Currently, the team I support play in the Championship although a takeover is about to go through and the removal of debt (as opposed to massive investment) will see us in a strong position for promotion.

Therefore, it is feasible my team may be dragged to the US for one of these stupid games. So who is going to pay my airfare and hotels so I can get to see a game I pay for the April before the season starts as part of my season ticket ?? You ?? I can currently walk to the stadium in about 30 minutes. Why should I miss a game just because of people in another country who in truth are only interested in the Premier League because its fashionable.

I buy a season ticket to show my loyalty to the club and it also means I get to go to the sell-out games so I expect some loyalty in return.

It really pisses me off that people watch a team on TV and claim to be life long fans - what a load of bollox. You know nothing of the scarifes and emotions that real football fans go through. Football existed in England for more than 100 years before the clubs sold their souls and formed the Premier League. Football today isn't about who has the best club, its about who has the richest owners.

I follow Ipswich Town and when I was about 12 years old, they were one of the best teams in Europe. Our manager was Sir Bobby Robson and with everything he has done in football, he still maintains that the Ipswich team of 1981 were the best he ever managed. I was fortunate to see some of the greats and I can remember us beating Man U 6-0 and missing 3 penalties.

However, I've known more bad times than good with Ipswich but that only makes the good times seem even better when they come round. Not that it matters, they are my local club, part of the community I live in. I couldn't support a team from far away with any passion. Football has given me some of the best and worst times of my life....and people have the nerve to call me selfish for not wanting to let my club play a league match in another country. To even think something like that just goes to show you know absolutely nothing about what it means to be a football supporter.

Some random memories:
When I was 15, I nearly got beaten up by a group of big lads in Bradford because their team lost and missed out on promotion.

I've driven thousands of miles all over the UK to watch my team play in towns you've never heard of against teams you've never heard of and been to around 65 of the 92 football league grounds in England.

I've stood on open, rain drenched terraces seeing my team lose 5-0 knowing I've got a 200+ mile drive home.

I've seen my club lose in Play-off semi-finals on away goals 3 years out of 4.

Feeling my stomach in knots on my first visit to Millwall back in the days when they lived up to their reputation.


Now will someone who voted YES please answer my earlier question as to how this sort of sporting prostitution will benefit the MLS .... or don't you have any pride in your own countries league?
Image

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

fr33k1ck
Veteran Member
Posts: 362
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:14

Post by fr33k1ck » 06 Nov 2007, 20:16

ratherton wrote:If you really want to see a game so badly, get your arse on a plane and come over to England.

Currently, the team I support play in the Championship although a takeover is about to go through and the removal of debt (as opposed to massive investment) will see us in a strong position for promotion.

Therefore, it is feasible my team may be dragged to the US for one of these stupid games. So who is going to pay my airfare and hotels so I can get to see a game I pay for the April before the season starts as part of my season ticket ?? You ?? I can currently walk to the stadium in about 30 minutes. Why should I miss a game just because of people in another country who in truth are only interested in the Premier League because its fashionable.

I buy a season ticket to show my loyalty to the club and it also means I get to go to the sell-out games so I expect some loyalty in return.

It really pisses me off that people watch a team on TV and claim to be life long fans - what a load of bollox. You know nothing of the scarifes and emotions that real football fans go through. Football existed in England for more than 100 years before the clubs sold their souls and formed the Premier League. Football today isn't about who has the best club, its about who has the richest owners.

I follow Ipswich Town and when I was about 12 years old, they were one of the best teams in Europe. Our manager was Sir Bobby Robson and with everything he has done in football, he still maintains that the Ipswich team of 1981 were the best he ever managed. I was fortunate to see some of the greats and I can remember us beating Man U 6-0 and missing 3 penalties.

However, I've known more bad times than good with Ipswich but that only makes the good times seem even better when they come round. Not that it matters, they are my local club, part of the community I live in. I couldn't support a team from far away with any passion. Football has given me some of the best and worst times of my life....and people have the nerve to call me selfish for not wanting to let my club play a league match in another country. To even think something like that just goes to show you know absolutely nothing about what it means to be a football supporter.

Some random memories:
When I was 15, I nearly got beaten up by a group of big lads in Bradford because their team lost and missed out on promotion.

I've driven thousands of miles all over the UK to watch my team play in towns you've never heard of against teams you've never heard of and been to around 65 of the 92 football league grounds in England.

I've stood on open, rain drenched terraces seeing my team lose 5-0 knowing I've got a 200+ mile drive home.

I've seen my club lose in Play-off semi-finals on away goals 3 years out of 4.

Feeling my stomach in knots on my first visit to Millwall back in the days when they lived up to their reputation.


Now will someone who voted YES please answer my earlier question as to how this sort of sporting prostitution will benefit the MLS .... or don't you have any pride in your own countries league?
SELFISH!

barcahooligan
Veteran Member
Posts: 1143
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 14:58

Post by barcahooligan » 06 Nov 2007, 21:19

I think that as an American people here should be able to experience a higher level of football from the Premership... i can see how people like ratherton (that attend game regulary) should be angery, but to say that we should have no chances in seeing a higher level except by going to another country is very selfish...

Football is a global sport not just an English sport...
Image
sig by 2brown347

J
Admin
Posts: 1699
Joined: 10 Feb 2005, 20:41
Location: Massachusetts, USA

Post by J » 06 Nov 2007, 21:32

Yes, but the U.S has the MLS. Instead of bringing over another league, we need to put more into MLS instead.

I totally agree with ratherton. I can imagine if the Revs were playing DC United and it was going to decide the supporters shield title, and I didn't get to go because they decided to have it in England. I'd be ripped after I had gone to every game and then all of a sudden the biggest game is across the ocean and I couldn't see it without flyingto another country.

If they did have a game here, it would more than likely be two big name clubs and it would mean something in the table, pissing off the supporters even more.

And like ratherton said, if you want to see a top level game, go see it in it's TRUE enviornement, in England. It wouldn't be the same over here.

powell
English Meister
Posts: 3941
Joined: 03 Mar 2006, 20:59
Location: england

Post by powell » 06 Nov 2007, 22:02

barcahooligan wrote:I think that as an American people here should be able to experience a higher level of football from the Premership... i can see how people like ratherton (that attend game regulary) should be angery, but to say that we should have no chances in seeing a higher level except by going to another country is very selfish...

Football is a global sport not just an English sport...
Yeh your right football is ....... but the epl and football league arent. They are just english leagues like la liga is only spanish. None of these are global only the world cups are global

Post Reply