The Beckham Debut

Talk about football in the AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the rest of the World
Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 23 Jul 2007, 16:16

Yeah can't say much about Beckham on his debut, he was just on the field to please the fans. The place was sold out, you know how disappointed the fans would be if he didn't play?

Anyway, how do this big clubs end up losing or winning by a small result to mls teams?? MLS All Stars defeated Chelsea last year 1-0 and this year they beat Celtic 2-0, wtf? And i thought Chelsea would kill the LA Galaxy like 4-0.

Matt17

Post by Matt17 » 23 Jul 2007, 16:23

Maybe that's what they thought too, and that's why they lost.. Getting too arrogant. Yeah, I expected the all stars and the Galaxy to get crushed.

steve-0
Veteran Member

Post by steve-0 » 23 Jul 2007, 16:46

and last year dc united beat celtic 5-0 and real salt lake beat everton 2-0 :shock:

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 23 Jul 2007, 17:16

alright, as some might know, i'm one of the biggest MLS supporters on this website. while i believe that the MLS is catching up, please remember that this is the European teams pre season training. actually, it's not even really per-season training yet. they don't start those practices for a couple more weeks. if they were in mid-season form, i believe that Chelsea wouldve won more like 3-0 against the Galaxy. not too demanding but still bigger margin.

J
Admin

Post by J » 23 Jul 2007, 17:24

soccer11 wrote:up, please remember that this is the European teams pre season training. actually, it's not even really per-season training yet. they don't start those practices for a couple more weeks.
I'm pretty sure they are considering this their pre-season training/games because the EPL starts in a couple of weeks.

They have probably been doing two a days for the past week or two.

But I do agree with you about if Chelsea was in mid-season form, it would have been a completely different game..

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 23 Jul 2007, 20:21

steve-0 wrote:and last year dc united beat celtic 5-0 and real salt lake beat everton 2-0 :shock:
I watched the game yesterday, Salt lake beat them fair and square, well at least it's better in quality than the day before that, shame though seems like Everton didn't want to come and play, "we lose whatever" attitude you know. Chelsea was everywhere trying to control the game but resulted in nasty ball fight, game don't flow very well, some of the worst game I ever seen.

From seeing the style MLS teams play, they played well possesive wise with the ball like Barcelona and control game with possession, in term of individual quality of players Chelsea overwhelmed LA and should have won it easily if only they played like a team.

Matt17

Post by Matt17 » 23 Jul 2007, 21:36

Yeah, it seemed that every time that a pass came to an LA player, they were startled and fumbled around a bit.

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard » 24 Jul 2007, 11:27

Stars come out to see Beckham's first game with Galaxy

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
July 22, 2007

AP - Jul 22, 12:20 am EDT
More Photos

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -- David Beckham starred in the biggest premiere outside Hollywood when the English superstar made his debut with the Los Angeles Galaxy in front of a sold-out, star-studded crowd.

His daunting challenge to convert America into a soccer-mad nation began with an uneventful 12-minute performance that rated off the charts in electricity and excitement.

"The objective was just for him to be on the pitch and give the people the dessert they were looking for," Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho said.
The fans ate it up.

Beckham got into the exhibition in the 78th minute, jogging onto the field amid huge cheers and a sea of camera flashes from the crowd of 27,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The atmosphere is incredible," he said after Chelsea's 1-0 victory. "It made me feel a little bit embarrassed at times."

The 32-year-old midfielder spent most of the game on the bench because of a nagging left ankle injury.

There were cheers each time Beckham touched the ball, the highlight being a corner kick he took in stoppage time.

Landon Donovan, who usually handles such kicks, gave way to Beckham,
who said, "I was happy because I didn't have many touches on the ball."

Beckham's only physical contact was when Chelsea's Steve Sidwell attempted to tackle him.

"I saw him coming and I jumped just in time so my foot wasn't planted when he hit me," Beckham said.

After taking about 10 minutes to get loose on the sideline, he entered as a substitute for Alan Gordon, who slapped hands with the English superstar before Beckham took the field for the first time.

"I'm not fit. I haven't trained since I got here," he said. "But it's nice to be out there."

Chelsea captain John Terry scored in the 49th minute on a 19-yard shot that ricocheted off the right post and left post before caroming into the net.

AP - Jul 22, 12:17 am EDT
More Photos

"Speaking as an Englishman, it was great to see him come on," Terry said. "Everyone can see what he can do. He's going to take it (soccer) to another level. He's a world-class player and I'm sure a lot of players are going to be attracted to the MLS now."

Beckham got off the bench in the 66th minute to warm up, exciting fans who had waited most of the game to see him. He jogged up and down the sidelines and a roar went up when Beckham tapped an out-of-bounds ball back to the referee, his first kick of the night.

He briefly ran off the field with the Galaxy's trainer before returning and peeling off his warmup shirt to reveal his favored long-sleeved jersey on a warm night when the other players wore short sleeves.

He said he went inside to use the bathroom and get his ankle re-taped.

"I didn't want to do it in front of the whole world," he said.

Beckham's debut was crazy from the start. When he took his seat on the end of a metal bench, he was quickly surrounded by about 100 photographers pushing and shoving to get a shot.

He calmly took in the scene as the scrum furiously snapped away within inches of him before being shoved back by about 10 security guards. He chatted with teammate Peter Vagenas while the Galaxy's starting lineup on the field was all but ignored.

Beckham's wife Victoria, wearing her trademark huge black sunglasses, along with actress Katie Holmes and her infant daughter Suri, watched from a private box above the field. Actress Jennifer Love Hewitt was like a lot of spectators, attending her first soccer game.

Eva Longoria, minus new hubby Tony Parker, comedian Drew Carey, NBA star Kevin Garnett, movie producer Brian Grazer, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and English actors John Hurt and Ray Winstone also made what were likely their first trips to Carson, a downright gritty suburb compared to the stars' usual haunt of Beverly Hills.
Beckham displayed his famous fashion sense at a post-match news conference, appearing dapper in a blue-and-white shirt, buttoned navy cardigan and navy slacks.

"The attention has been immense," he said. "I have to say thank you to everybody."

As he exited the interview tent, fans waiting outside began running after him and screaming.

AP - Jul 22, 12:09 am EDT
More Photos

As expected, Beckham didn't start the game or join his new teammates in pre-game warmups.

Dressed in a blue pullover jersey, white shorts and knee-high white socks, Beckham sat hunched over watching the action and stood up to applaud a couple of near-miss scoring chances by his teammates.

With the game scoreless at halftime, he walked across the field waving to fans before disappearing into the tunnel.

Rebecca Pavon was impressed by the electric atmosphere.

"It was pretty cool. I can't believe all the girls, mostly 20 and under, screaming for Beckham," she said. "Of course there's no age cutoff to look at handsome guys. I'm 38."

James Fast, an 11-year-old attending the game with his family, wore a No. 23 Beckham jersey and rattled off what he knew about the Galaxy's $32 million man.

"I know he was with Manchester United, then Real Madrid," said James, a soccer player himself. "He's amazing. He's going to be better than Landon Donovan."

Not everyone cheered the Galaxy. Chelsea of the English Premier League had its own blue-clad fans in a corner of the stadium.

In the two hours leading up to the game, fans sipped drinks in the shade at a bar on a plaza outside the stadium and checked out merchandise stands. A variety of Beckham T-shirts and jerseys were on sale, with the top price $100.

A few thousand even bothered to watch the warmup act, a game between Mexican club team Tigres UANL and Korea's Suwon Samsung Bluewings. Tigres won 3-0.

AP Sports Writer Ken Peters and Associated Press Writer Andrew Dalton contributed to this report.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 24 Jul 2007, 14:29

A roar went up when Beckham tapped an out-of-bounds ball back to the referee, his first kick of the night.
Now, that's pretty funny. If only it had been someone else. No one would have even opened their mouth :?

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 24 Jul 2007, 14:40

OMG!! Beckham!!!! *Shriek*

Wow, this is funny, I think I had a good laugh out of reading this. :P
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 24 Jul 2007, 15:10

Give Beckham time :)

When hes fully fit hell toughen up and start playing very well. He may of course be a target for many tough players, but hes played in premiership for years, im sure hes used to that kind of thing.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 24 Jul 2007, 18:47

Haha, I thought it was funny to see all the actors and actresses that went to the game! :lol:

Matt17

Post by Matt17 » 24 Jul 2007, 21:17

Posh never took her sunglasses off.

On ESPN, Skip Bayless said that as long as Posh is there, and they show her every few minutes, the games will stay popular :)

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 25 Jul 2007, 03:15

Oh dear...

Posh before surgery...

Posh after surgery...

Trainer09

Post by Trainer09 » 25 Jul 2007, 04:15

O DADDY Posh I love You

Spicest Spice Girl of them All :D :D
The things id do to you ahahahahha :twisted:
Awkard