Hugh's shooting vids

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Hugh
Veteran Member

Hugh's shooting vids

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2007, 01:10

Hey everyone! I was shooting around in my backyard this afternoon and I suddenly had a brainwave, what if I took videos of my shots and then posted them here so's you guys could help me out a bit, and actually be able to see what I'm doing!

So, long story short, I did, and here they are.

All the shots here were taken from about 25 yards out on a smaller than usual goal, and I'm using my sneakers since they're exactly the same as my cleats, just without cleats...

So firstly I did some inside drives, I'm not sure here but I think my ankle looks a bit wobbly, like I need to lock it more... but see what you think.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xZ8kLkahLqI

Next I did curling shots (my favourite) and I think I messed up numbers 1 and 3 but number 2 was just about perfect, anyway again, see what you think.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ay7V0j2mpf0

I hope you guys can spot some errors in my kicking, I think I allready see a few, but I want to hear yours first.
Last edited by Hugh on 08 Jul 2007, 05:40, edited 2 times in total.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 08 Jul 2007, 01:45

You're run up seems a bit hesitant which can affect the speed and accuracy of your shots which sets them all off. You don't really instep your instep drive, they seem to have a bit of spin. Maybe try to hit the ball more at the center and follow through straight.

The second curved shot was nice, and btw, I think I'll try doing this as well, just in a much smaller space. :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 08 Jul 2007, 02:48

Well, like me, your bending freekicks don't have much pace. Ajc had some advice for me that worked well.

One key thing was to follow through more. I'm not sure if that would work for you, but it did for me. Nice freekick btw. (2nd in video 2.)

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2007, 03:08

Yeah, I have no idea how to work on that, I've tried so many things too, Beckham can do it but I have no idea how, I could try to follow through more I suppose but I think the problem is that since I'm not hitting it straight on then I just can't get the same power...

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 08 Jul 2007, 04:39

I know that when I take free kicks, I more or less hit the ball almost with my instep, but I hit more of the side of the ball and swing in a bit of a sweeping motion. I can't really describe to be honest, but I would certainly post some videos of me taking them if you could tell me how. As for your instep drive, well, it's not really an instep drive. It's almost like a chip shot to be honest. First thing's first is that you need to lock that ankle! You will never get a good shot off with a floppy ankle, period. Next, you really need to keep your body over the ball more, and swing through the ball. Also, you should be hitting the ball with the fattest part of your first metatarsal towards the top of your foot (like where the bullseye is on the T90 lasers). Again, I am having trouble explaining all of this, but I would be thrilled to show you via video.

God damn brewery!!!

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 08 Jul 2007, 04:50

Yeah, I have no idea how to work on that, I've tried so many things too, Beckham can do it but I have no idea how, I could try to follow through more I suppose but I think the problem is that since I'm not hitting it straight on then I just can't get the same power...
There is a spot on the foot that's the hardest, that's where you should hit it. It's located along the "big toe", feel it? Approach at an angle is the best way. I don't know, I heard they called the "sweet spot" or something. I'm don't know technical name for it but I think mpcarres14 said it.

I have been doing some experiments on shooting, similar to what I do with weight training, I do them in sets, and for each rep the shot is almost the same, keep them as quality as possible. Another is the "form shooting", without a ball, shoot in sets at a marking(tape) and another marking(tape) where my standing foot would be. Factors that also influenced power and accuracy of the shot are torso composure, arm swing, balance, knee extension(time and the knee snapped), upper body coordination, lower body coordination, hip, flexibility, and your condition(morale). Certainly there maybe more that insignificatly effect your shooting.

What I do besides just kicking the ball around for better accuracy and power, I do coordination drills with my leg or/and arms, balancing exercise which I do after weight training, stretching for flexiblity, composure walk for better composure, form shooting for knee extension, ect. I'll will come up with more drills and exercise, so there are a lot I can do if I'm bored with the same old. The good thing about are improvements all aspect you do on the field as well besides just shooting. Passing is more accurate, dribbling faster with better composure and balance; more elegant look like Zidane, Ronaldinho, Quaresma, intercept the ball because of better coordination, ect. As for the videos you posted, the shots are ok to be honest but I think you could power it easily 25 yards away with better contact.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2007, 05:29

Thanks for the advice mpcarres, ballackfan too, you've got a lot of good stuff there, I get what you're talking about with the fat part of the metatarsal, because I know the feeling, anywhere else when you hit the ball it feels kinda weird, but if you hit it there it just feels good and solid, so I know what you mean. Next day I'll wear my cleats and that should help because I'll be able to lean further and I'll try and correct that floppy ankle.

As for making your own video it's dead easy, use either a digital camera with a movie function or use a video camera, upload it to your computer, edit it with movie maker and then submit it to youtube, mine have to be changed into .Avi files from .Mov files but I found a program to do that for me so it's alright. And of course to support my camera I just used a garden table.

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 08 Jul 2007, 05:33

Does a regular PC come with a movie maker, or do I have to download something?

God damn brewery!!!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 08 Jul 2007, 05:34

Windows computers come with Movie Maker.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

Post by mpcarres14 » 08 Jul 2007, 05:36

Nice. If I can dig up my dad's camcorder, I might churn one out tomorrow.

God damn brewery!!!

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 08 Jul 2007, 05:38

Yeah there's not much to learn on Movie Maker. Pretty noob friendly. Just remember to "save it to your computer" when you're done your project. Then make sure it's under 100mb for it to be eligible to be uploaded onto YouTube. :wink:

-Alexander Ovechkin

Darksp00n

Post by Darksp00n » 08 Jul 2007, 09:16

Viduka
Veteran Member

Post by Viduka » 08 Jul 2007, 11:06

fu** that guy curls it soo nicely.

BTW: Check this amazing free kick.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FroHxB-cLbE& ... ed&search=

By Christiano Ronaldo

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 08 Jul 2007, 16:20

is there a limit to how long ur vids can be on youtube?

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 08 Jul 2007, 16:28

I don't really know, but I saw a video that was 25 mins, so they can be pretty long.