looking down at the ball while dribbling

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
bshechter
New User

i actually disagree with all of you... look down on the ball, but frequently look up for split seconds so u know where everyone is... looking up will make you lose the ball as you are not completely aware where the ball is, where the defender's legs are and where your legs are... watch theirry henry play... he dribbles head down, when i comes to pass, shoot etc... he picks up his head for a split second and does whatever he does best...

ajc
The Philly Flyer

bshechter wrote:i actually disagree with all of you... look down on the ball, but frequently look up for split seconds so u know where everyone is... looking up will make you lose the ball as you are not completely aware where the ball is
That is unless you practice, in which case you will know where the ball is. You should be able to dribble well enough that you know exactly where the ball is at all times because you know exactly where your last touch will have put the ball. With a quick glance down on the ball you shouldn't be finding where the ball is, but verifying that it is where you thought it was.
bshechtre wrote:watch theirry henry play... he dribbles head down, when i comes to pass, shoot etc... he picks up his head for a split second and does whatever he does best...
Henry dribbles with his head down when he is in a situation where he knows has to run at people or run towards goal. You can't dribble with your head down on defense or midfield or you'll have the ball taken off you every time because you won't know where your options are and you won't know where the defenders are. Consider a player like Cesc Fabregas who is praised for his great field vision. An enourmous part of what allows him to to read the game so well is his ability to dribble with his head up and be more aware of his surroundings.

When you don't see any available passes and you've made a decision to dribble upfield into space then it can be helpful to look down a bit more to maintain control, but if you are looking to make a pass then you need to look up to know where your options are.

belija91
Veteran Member

Well said ajc I agree completely.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

well said ajc.

this was a problem for me for a while, but it's just something you learn to do. for a while, you have to consciously think "alright, i need to look up," but it gets easier with time. what helps is to study other players' movement off the ball. this way, even if you do look down, you have a good idea of where people will be open when you do look up. but really, you should be looking up when you dribble, glancing at the ball once in a while if you have to challenge someone or play a long cross or shoot. just practice it
Hala Galacticos

winchester44
New User

if u have trouble dribbling without looking down at the ball .. you need to practise dribbling so start slowly maybe at walking pace with your head up so u can see whats going on around u.. work ur way up with the speed and when your dribbling you should jsut be able to see the ball whilst looking at the field in front of you as well. Hopes this helps.

Luis Garcia
New User

I you look at your opponents feet you usually have an automaticlly dribble without looking.
Ohhhh Liverpool we love you

DismembermenT

i'm darn near blind in one eye its hard not to look down i'm getting better tho u just look up seriously