Your thoughts on toe poke shooting

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
tottijohn
New User

Your thoughts on toe poke shooting

Post by tottijohn » 22 May 2007, 06:51

Need comments from you guys as to this kind of shooting.

I have a friend who uses this shooting and no matter how i explain to him, he still refuses to listen and change to the instep drive. The problem is he can kick real hard with toe poking, and he sees instep as a more inferior technique.

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 22 May 2007, 10:46

Tell him to challenge you in a best of 10 penalty shoot-out. You use the instep shot and let him use what he wants. Once you win, you will prove your point. The only time you should be really toe-poking a shot is when you are unbalanced or can't get into the position for an instep shot. For example all you need to do is tap the ball in an open goal and there are defender pushing u backwards so as long as you reach the ball and hit it in any way it will go in that's when it would be appropriate really. Toe-poking is ineffective and inaccurate no matter who you are and if you are decent at it, the instep will always be superior.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Foxmero

Post by Foxmero » 22 May 2007, 12:34

Are you guys on a team? if so make the change gradual too not affect his playing leve. Also do not be too demanding on this point. For example he shots with a toe hack and misses and you shoot with and instep and make a goal prove to him instep is better
I Will Win The World Cup No Matter What It Takes
Image.

Thanks Shifty_fsu

Real_Zidane
Veteran Member

Post by Real_Zidane » 22 May 2007, 17:54

If you kick too hard with your toes, you could damage them. Possibly break or fracture them and you are guaranteed to stub them. Toe pokes are a very very inaccurate shooting surface because there is less surface area on your toes than your instep, making the sweet ball of the ball a lot harder to hit. He should try changing to instep immediately if he wants to get anywhere in football or just not hurt himself.

tottijohn
New User

Post by tottijohn » 24 May 2007, 03:22

Hahha yep, we are on a team, that's why i want him to change.

Thanks for all the comments, hopefully i can persuade him to change, not gonna be easy though since throughout his ~10 years of soccer, he has gotten so use to toe poke shooting that he got pretty good at it.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 24 May 2007, 03:26

WTF!

10 years, honestly, tell him to watch a professional game, no one toe pokes unless in desperation!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 24 May 2007, 03:38

Tell the kid that if he wants to even play a decent level of high school, then he better forget about toe-poking the ball. He can also flush the idea of College football down the drain, because not a single college coach anywhere in the world will accept a player who toe-pokes. It is distressing to hear that he still toe-pokes the ball after ten years of training, he must have had crappy coaches!

hebrewhammer110

Post by hebrewhammer110 » 24 May 2007, 03:46

yeah this sounds like one of my teammates, but he is new to the game so i hope he will develop correct shooting form over time. he is not very good at many aspects of the game, but for some reason seems to be able to shoot well compared to his other attributes. he either hits it right where he wants it to go or shanks it into canada (im in montana), so literally.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 24 May 2007, 18:36

In some situations(rarely) toe poking is the only/best thing to do. However, you should tell your friend that he will not be able to reach his full potential if he does not develop different shooting techniques.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 24 May 2007, 22:17

He'll never play at a decent level if he doesn't know how to kick yet...

EFisforFAGS
New User

Post by EFisforFAGS » 24 May 2007, 23:46

show him this.....and if he still thinks that toe poking is good...he's an idiot.

viewtopic.php?t=7886

ForzaMilan
Veteran Member

Post by ForzaMilan » 11 Jun 2007, 19:10

There is only one instence where toe poking is good for shooting. You are around 2-5 feet from the goal, with 1-2 defenders near you.

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Post by thisisdard » 12 Jun 2007, 02:35

Yes and he runs the risk of losing a toenail. I dont mean just cracking it. I mean the entire toenail shaft comes off. If you're lucky it'll grow back but too much toe poking and he could kiss his toenails, his kicking foot and his soccer dreams goodbye.

(Ironically, my entire right toenail came off when I used the instep :!: Don't worry, it grew back.)

10 years and he still toe pokes? Odd. :shock: Toe poking was common in the NFL until this Yugoslavian guy (forgot name) who had previously played soccer joined NFL and showed all the pros there that the instep is the best punting foot.

P.Nedved

Post by P.Nedved » 12 Jun 2007, 19:53

yeah I had a friend who really wasnt a great football player. He always used to toepunt all the time, even when he passed the ball. Then one day i was playing with him and he took a hard shot and his toenail ripped off completely. It was a pretty gross thing.

If your friend ever wants to go anywhere and doesnt want a broken toenail, show him the instep for all of us lol.

Solid0Snake

Post by Solid0Snake » 13 Jun 2007, 00:12

Ouch..I never knew toe poking was that dangerous..
Good thing I stopped toe poking after I saw this site :P