I am a new member that just joined almost a month ago and i want to contribute to this awesome football site making my own shooting guide with drills and everything for people to practice. ( Im only 12 almost 13 so there are some stuff that is missing or might not be correct i dont know but no mean comments please)
Shooting is perhaps if not the most important aspect of the game. The two main skills scouts will be looking at are your shooting and your dribbling. Football isnt Football without shooting. Developing a strong kick and pinpoint accuracy could take you a long way in soccer.
What parts of the body are used to shoot
In Football the main parts that are used in shooting are the hamstrings, Quads and knees. Hamstrings and Quads are the part that moves the leg and the stronger those muscles are the farther it will go. Knees are more of the part that makes the ball go fast so if you have good knee snapping then you can shoot farther (WARNING DO NOT EVER TRAIN SHOOTING BY SNAPPING YOUR KNEES BECAUSE YOU MIGHT BREAK A VITAL BONE IN THE KNEE. WHEN I SPEAK SNAPPING I DONT MEAN YOU SNAP YOUR KNEE I MEAN YOU HAVE TO MOVE YOUR LEG FROM A 90 DEGREE ANGLE TO A 20 DEGREE ANGLE. NEVER SNAP YOUR LEG INTO A STRAIGHT ANGLE) The most important movement that actullay starts the shot is the hip so it is one of the most important part of the body for shooting. That is why most soccer players are good at Hurdles like me ( I have a track meet tomorow wish me luck )
How to Shoot
Do you remember those days in elementary when you would kick with your toes and the ball would sail high up into the air and how impressive it would look. Sadly the toes is proven THE WORST place to kick/pass with. The problem is the toe is a point in the shoe and does not have accuracy. The only reason that you can kick far is that your kicking a ball with alot of power in a concentrated area so the effects of realasing the ball would be tremendous. However after saying this one can achieve a much greater distance with kicking by the laces or the "Sweet Spot" because the spreading of the power can push the ball up and away. The inside of the foot should be when your close to the goal or one on one with the goalie while the instep is for general shooting. The only place to use your toes is when your want a little power such as your crowded and there isnt much room a little toe poke doesnt hurt anyone. It does hurt when your outside of the box and toe hack it and it spirals out of control and lands on mars or something.
MASTERING THE INSTEP
Probably the hardest thing for someone to learn. To perfect this is one of the most greatest feats in the world. Even pros have their days when they shoot and stub their toes on the ground ( that hurts ). What it means to perfect it is to do four things
1. Achieve a far distance
2. Achieve a good accuracy
3. Achieve consistiency
4. Achieve faster kick speed
The first three are easy to understand but what the heck is Achieve faster kick speed. I couldnt word it right i geuss but its hard to describe it in as few words as possible. What this means is to be able to do this kick with little set up time as possible. When you first start to do this you might have to set up your foot and put it on an angle and make sure that your aiming for the ball. Doing this as many times as possible is consistency. However there is another part to this story. How fast can you set up your kick. To be a perfect at it you must run and as soon as you make your mind peewwwwwooooooo the ball goes because you already set yourself up for it and know what to expect and hit at the same time.
DRILLS FOR HITTING BALL HARD
1. Go to a nearby wall. First kick the ball lightly so it has enough power to roll back to you. Then hit it again at half power but this time let it go as far as it goes until it rolls. Where it starts rolling you mark that place. From there kick the ball as hard as you can and let it bounce on the floor until roll. Move your marker where that ball stopped. Continue this until you get a fairly high distance and cant get higher. This drill is a shooting test to know where your test power is and what range your power is
2. Just smash the ball as hard as you can BUT do it barefoot or perferably Socks because socks imitate a soccer cleat almost. This toughens your feet. When the ball bounces back, if you are able to trap it so it goes up and volley the ball as hard as you can. This is volleying, trapping, transition and shooting drill
3. The best drill for shooting is to stand on the box line which is on the outer edge. walk 10 steps if you are a beginner 20 steps intermediate and 25 if you are an expert. Have a goalie and shoot on the net. This drill is one of the most effective drills because you can actullay see how powerful and accurate your shot is.
4. This is a fun drill which involves a father and son or if your dad is old or just plain hates soccer then get an older guy might be your bro, cousin or coach to stand by. Stand 25 - 50 meters awat. Sort of like catch but in this game you kick the ball as hard as you can to the other person. You have to hit it to him or a range of 2 meters. The other guy kicks it within limits so it doesnt go flying but he can kick it anywhere he wants within a 10 - 20 meter range from you. The trick is to be able to easily retrieve the ball from a hard lob that wasnt accurate and train your shots to be accurate at the same time.
5. This is a very simple drill. Draw circles on a wall and play some soccer darts. Have a contest and stand like 15 - 17 meters away
Notice that when i wrote these i didnt say any training routines such as 1000 squats or 200 pushups because training your leg strength will take you just so far. You have to train on technique more thant strength. As technique comes, strength will follow.
Thats it for my first guide ever and i hope you have a wonderful day. I know its kind of sloppy but its my first goal so be nice
PS: Just hitting the ball against the wall is awesome
remember if you win any league titles remember me cause i saved your hiney from missing or doing a weak shot
USE THE FORCE
PPS : I might be making a mini guide later about either the Henry flick and/or the rainbow and/or curving a ball althought there are tonnes way better ones.